U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 AM

21,302 posts, read 30,642,204 times

Advertisements

While the knee jerk response is to turn to free agency to try and stay relevant (i.e. go 10-6 and make the playoffs as the mediocre winner of the NFC East or as a wildcard and lose in the first round), name a team in recent years that has made any kind of run into the playoffs with that formula versus internal development of a system QB. The Giants drafted Lauletta last year with hopes of him succeeding Manning. At 1-5 and likely out of the playoff race already (barring a miraculous turn around), the time to gain some experience and move toward the future with Lauletta is NOW....not in the garbage-time last few minutes of a win (not many of those coming anytime soon it would appear) or in pre-season games.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/10/...uccession-plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:49 PM

13,139 posts, read 8,904,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Not a Giants fan but I’ll answer. The Giants philosophy by the moves they’ve made is to win now. The fan base is not going to be content to go through a full rebuild with probably two bad seasons in a row now. I would try to target Teddy Bridgewater if he is available. He is competent enough to be an upgrade over current day Eli. He is mobile enough to survive a bad O-Line. And he won’t be that expensive. The Giants would have the best chance of competing immeadiately with Bridgewater.
The moves made last week and most likely coming at the deadline all indicates a full or big rebuild is coming. Eli may have played his last year as starting QB. When you trade Snacks for just a 5th round pick you're looking to get some value for next year. The biggest mistake that Mara has made was firing Macadoo so soon. He should've allowed him to properly bench Eli and start the rookie Webb but they never gave him a shot and ended up cutting him. They could've destroyed his career instead of showcasing his potential and traded him for some value.

Mara has made a lot of boneheaded decisions the last few years. The win now mentality is what got the Giants this mediocrity the last few years. Eli is the most expensive and overpaid QB because he doesn't save you any money. You need a very potent offensive line to protect him and you need a good running game. Instead of fixing the offensive line they drafted Beckham and gave him one of the richest contract. Then they drafted Barkley which will end up wasting his career. They wasted another $20+ mil by signing Nate Solder who isn't worth that much but the Giants just wanted to win now and failed to understand that you can't rebuild the o-line with bandaids. Giants kept digging themselves in big contracts that will take years to break out of.

The Giants will be a losing team for the next 3-4 years if they accepted a full rebuild and stockpile picks and draft quality starters. If they don't do the full rebuild they will extend the losing seasons even longer.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 PM

16,551 posts, read 21,072,609 times
Well, wherever Eli winds up is anybodies guess the way the NFL spin goes but Eli spinned the ball pretty damn good in the 27-23 win over the 49ers. That last td drive and the throw to Beckham for 6 was impressive. 19 for 31 for 188 yards isn't monstrous stats but 3 went for touchdowns.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 PM

20,967 posts, read 39,369,636 times
That was a great game to watch today, a lot of fun, no shame losing by one point, the Giants played great.

I too wonder when Eli will call it a day, same for Phil Rivers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. I'll miss them all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:00 AM

666 posts, read 595,850 times
What's everyone thinking on who the Gmen will draft next month first? I'm fine with them taking a QB (Haskings only) in the first round if he falls to them, but I don't want them to trade up to get him. I'd rather they send a second rounder to AZ for Rosen, and then draft a pass rusher first round.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,610,094 times
Wow! What a move, OBJ to the Browns, I'm shocked but Giants get a 1st round, a 3rd round plus their safety Peppers!

Did any Giants fans see this coming? OBJ has always been a subject of discussion but I'm surprised.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM

Were all surprised.....haha. As difficult it is to trade away a talent like OBJ, I think it was the right move given the Giants situation. Let's be honest, they weren't going to make the playoffs this coming season, and once they start losing, I think OBJ because a bigger problem and distraction for the team. I think the Giants assumed that they can't win until two or three years out so they got him out now before it became a bigger issue and perhaps the return would not have been as good.

I'm fine with the return, but just wish they could have received the Browns 2nd round pick instead of their second 3rd rounder. Peppers replaces Collins and they pick up a much needed additional 1st rounder.

Always tough to see such a talented player traded away though. His amazing catches will be missed, but his BS and antics will not IMO

Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 AM

5,815 posts, read 6,624,582 times
After the trade yesterday, Vegas changed the SB odds. Only four teams (Patriots, Saints, Chiefs, Rams) now have better odds to win than Beckham, Baker and the Browns.

Thanks NY!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Brownies have some great weapons on offense now, but your forgetting that they are still the Browns.

They look great on paper so far, but I guess that's why they play the games. We'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 AM

32,628 posts, read 26,611,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Brownies have some great weapons on offense now, but your forgetting that they are still the Browns.

They look great on paper so far, but I guess that's why they play the games. We'll find out soon enough.

a good point. you can have the best talent in the league, but still be a mediocre team if you cant use that talent properly. witness the cowboys for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or