Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 02:38 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It's a very complicated situation. Whether Barkley was the correct pick or not may not be clear for 5-6 years unless a couple things happen right away.

1. Darnold busts quickly.

2. Eli plays well for a couple more seasons and Barkley plays at an all-pro level out of the gate with the Giants making the playoffs in either 2018 or 2019, if not both years.

Otherwise, so much depends on where the Giants go post Eli, which might not begin until the 2020 or 2021 season. Personally, I only see Eli playing two more seasons. So in 2020, will Darnold look like a franchise QB? Will the Giants have a legitimate QB to replace Eli? If Darnold looks like a legitimate franchise QB, then Barkley better not just be a pro-bowl RB. He better be having a LT or Marhsall Faulk type start to his career.
That is true. However, I do find some of the analysts interesting in that without the context you just said, they just slammed the pick because Barkley is a RB. If the Giants truly didn't believe in any of the QBs, then you shouldnt pick the QB. And in that regard, I don't blame them. None of these guys is assured of being a franchise QB. Will they all bust? Probably not? But will they all wear gold jackets in 20 years? Probably not, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:00 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
I honestly believe that the people calling this a bad move are upset the Giants didn't take their pick.In short"Eli haters". I thought we'd go a different way becuase Barkley would be gone at our pick. I thought Cleveland would take him #1 and a QB at #4 .Who wrote the rule you can't take a running back at #2,I still can't find it anywhere,the Giants did a great job on the draft and I give them an A ...now we we need other things to pan out for us like a good defense and a healthy team.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:29 PM

If you dont believe in any of the QBs, then you dont take one. It is that simple...the Giants really liked Barkley and not any of the QBs.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Davis Webb did not look good last night. I am assuming because he knows this is his chance. If he plays well this preseason, then he is showing the Giants brass that he is the QB of the future, and there will be no need to sweat over Eli's successor. But, boy, did he miss often and badly last night, especially in the early going...

Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Davis Webb did not look good last night. I am assuming because he knows this is his chance. If he plays well this preseason, then he is showing the Giants brass that he is the QB of the future, and there will be no need to sweat over Eli's successor. But, boy, did he miss often and badly last night, especially in the early going...
I agree, and I was a big proponent of taking Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen over Barkley. I do not dislike Barkley, but this is a quarterback league, and one of these guys (I like the last two better than the first) would have solidified this team for another 15 years as Manning has already.

I do not see Davis Webb as a long term solution at QB. The visions of Danny Kannell and Dave Brown come to mind when I see Webb play. Not a fan.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I agree, and I was a big proponent of taking Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen over Barkley. I do not dislike Barkley, but this is a quarterback league, and one of these guys (I like the last two better than the first) would have solidified this team for another 15 years as Manning has already.

I do not see Davis Webb as a long term solution at QB. The visions of Danny Kannell and Dave Brown come to mind when I see Webb play. Not a fan.
Any vision of Kannel or Brown is definitely not good--especially Brown. I think he is the worst QB I have seen in my lifetime in a Giants uniform. I think he is among the worse to ever play the position in the NFL.

Thankfully, Webb looked better last week. I still think he doesnt see open receivers that are open in his progressions, and throws to the wrong man at times, but that might get better with more field time.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Great run by Barkley to keep Giants in the game!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
Yeah,after the pic I thought the game was over. Gmen have a good team, but there are obvious issues starting with Flowers on the O-line. Also, D didn't play great in the first half esp against the run. I think we got lucky when Fournette got hurt.

Big week next week vs Dallas, who also lost. Would hate to start the season 0-2.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:10 AM

178 posts, read 147,655 times
Good game from OBJ as well. He made some nice catches, took some shots, performed well. Eli didn’t look so hot in the first half, but he started to get it together later in the game. They were only 5 points back when the punt returner fumbled.

Flowers really hurt them early in the game - they need to address that.

They didn’t do as well as I had hoped, but they did better than I feared. I think they have a decent shot against Dallas next week.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It's a very complicated situation. Whether Barkley was the correct pick or not may not be clear for 5-6 years unless a couple things happen right away.

1. Darnold busts quickly.

2. Eli plays well for a couple more seasons and Barkley plays at an all-pro level out of the gate with the Giants making the playoffs in either 2018 or 2019, if not both years.

Otherwise, so much depends on where the Giants go post Eli, which might not begin until the 2020 or 2021 season. Personally, I only see Eli playing two more seasons. So in 2020, will Darnold look like a franchise QB? Will the Giants have a legitimate QB to replace Eli? If Darnold looks like a legitimate franchise QB, then Barkley better not just be a pro-bowl RB. He better be having a LT or Marhsall Faulk type start to his career.
If David Gettleman has intelligence, the Giants should be transitioning to post-Eli Manning mode now. Manning will be around this season and possibly another. The 2020 season would be the season to move on or trending upward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football