Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I wonder how long it will take (or even if it ever will), but eventually someone in the front office is going to realize that Eli Manning is at the root of the problem. Plain and simple: he doesn't belong in the same breath as either his father or his brother. You have to give him credit for stepping up and playing the game of his life when the Giants made it to the Super Bowl, but the truth is, they made it that year in spite of him, not because of him.

He doesn't read defenses particularly brilliantly, he hasn't got an amazingly fast release, and he continues to make boneheaded plays (which our friendly local media softens by calling "ill-advised.") He just isn't an exceptional quarterback. But the team painted itself into a corner with all the hype, and they aren't backing down.
I agree with Fred. I've never been impressed with Eli, and he just isn't consistent and he's often careless with the ball. How the hell do you run for 20 yards and a critical first down and then slide face down and fumble the ball? I swear, only Eli. That's just one of many examples of how clueless and puzzled he often appears, especially when pressured. He's not a horrible QB, but he's had a very good offensive line, and if you give any QB protection they are bound to have a winning record. Not to mention a decent running game and the defense has helped as well.

As much as I dislike Rivers, I feel they should have set their long term goals with him, as opposed to cashing in on the Manning name. Eli is not a chip off the old block and he isn't in the same pedigree of QB's as his brother. Not even close. For once I'm actually envious of the Jets. I'd take Sanchez over Eli any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I agree with Fred. I've never been impressed with Eli, and he just isn't consistent and he's often careless with the ball. How the hell do you run for 20 yards and a critical first down and then slide face down and fumble the ball? I swear, only Eli. That's just one of many examples of how clueless and puzzled he often appears, especially when pressured. He's not a horrible QB, but he's had a very good offensive line, and if you give any QB protection they are bound to have a winning record. Not to mention a decent running game and the defense has helped as well.

As much as I dislike Rivers, I feel they should have set their long term goals with him, as opposed to cashing in on the Manning name. Eli is not a chip off the old block and he isn't in the same pedigree of QB's as his brother. Not even close. For once I'm actually envious of the Jets. I'd take Sanchez over Eli any day.
Here we go..a couple of losses and everyone wants to fry Eli..Eli Eli Eli... you guys are joksters.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

And lots of people always want to say he a SB ring but if I recall he stumbled and bumbled his way into a ring. He was basically sacked and then stumbled out of pressure and threw a hail mary.

He doesn't like to get hit which is why he throws a lot of interceptions

Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And lots of people always want to say he a SB ring but if I recall he stumbled and bumbled his way into a ring. He was basically sacked and then stumbled out of pressure and threw a hail mary.

He doesn't like to get hit which is why he throws a lot of interceptions
Are you kidding? He had the presence of mind to escape intense pressure, find his bearings find an open receiver and make a perfect throw where only his receiver had chance at the ball...

Listen Eli is not a top 5 QB in this league for sure. I put him in the top 10..but you can do ALOT worse than Eli..careful what you wish for.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Here we go..a couple of losses and everyone wants to fry Eli..Eli Eli Eli... you guys are joksters.
It's not "a couple of losses." It's a longterm pattern. Eli Manning is not Payton or Archie. When the Giants win, it's not because of Manning, it's in spite of him. You're just practicing some good old-fashioned denial (which, as a person who doesn't happen to be a Giant fan, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Keep it up; by the time you realize you were backing the wrong QB all along, you will have wasted who-knows-how-many seasons).

Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's not "a couple of losses." It's a longterm pattern. Eli Manning is not Payton or Archie. When the Giants win, it's not because of Manning, it's in spite of him. You're just practicing some good old-fashioned denial (which, as a person who doesn't happen to be a Giant fan, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Keep it up; by the time you realize you were backing the wrong QB all along, you will have wasted who-knows-how-many seasons).

Wait a minute, you lost me-"ARCHIE??? What did he ever do? He had more interceptions that TD passes for his career

Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
A couple of losses? Last year was 8, and this year they are on their way to a 9-7 season if they're lucky. Eli is the most hot and cold QB in the league. Week to week you don't know what you're going to get. He looks great against crappy teams like Seattle, but crumbles like a house of cards against good defenses. He's horrible once flushed out of the pocket, and has very poor improvisational skills on the field. Doesn't instill confidence as a leader either. Can we do worse, sure, but there are ten other QB's in the league I'd rather have starting.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,785,658 times
The Giants were 8-8 last year, because they had the 29th ranked defense in the league, in terms of yardage allowed. One could argue the Giants were bailed out at 8-8 because the offense was competitive. I gauge the QB's effectiveness by how often the QB gets his team in the end zone. By that measure, Manning threw for 27 TDs last year. The team defense, in contrast, allowed more points than any team in the league except for the Rams and the Lions. They allowed 40 points in 5 different games last year. If you want to know why the Giants drafted this year the way they did, herein lies the answer.

I've watched Giants games since 1975. Eli Manning is the most effective passer I've seen during this time. Phil Simms, as much as I loved his leadership, was not as gifted as is Manning. Simms didn't have the receivers on his team that Manning does either, to be fair. However, Manning's completion percentage and TD to INT ratio has improved markedly since the 2007 championship season.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The Giants were 8-8 last year, because they had the 29th ranked defense in the league, in terms of yardage allowed. One could argue the Giants were bailed out at 8-8 because the offense was competitive. I gauge the QB's effectiveness by how often the QB gets his team in the end zone. By that measure, Manning threw for 27 TDs last year. The team defense, in contrast, allowed more points than any team in the league except for the Rams and the Lions. They allowed 40 points in 5 different games last year. If you want to know why the Giants drafted this year the way they did, herein lies the answer.

I've watched Giants games since 1975. Eli Manning is the most effective passer I've seen during this time. Phil Simms, as much as I loved his leadership, was not as gifted as is Manning. Simms didn't have the receivers on his team that Manning does either, to be fair. However, Manning's completion percentage and TD to INT ratio has improved markedly since the 2007 championship season.
Exactly...look, Eli is a borderline top 10 qb in this league., what is this comparison to Peyton?? who is comparing him to Peyton and why? I think its exactly the point when some posters here refer to only 8-8 when the defense was PATHETIC last year. The Giants would have been 6-10 or worse without Eli last year. All I can say is Eli won a Super Bowl and was a major contributor..to all you non-Giant fans..keep chewing on that one.

I do not think Eli is an elite QB..he is efficient and as a Giant fan, be glad we have him. I can think of about 20 starting QB's in the league I'd rather not have. Stop comparing him to Payton or Brady for goddsakes!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 AM
FBJ

Eli tends to turnover the ball more when the Giants are losing. They are down 10-3 and what will happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football