U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,448,186 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with it. Had I been good enough to go pro, I would have waited out a season to play where I really wanted to be. Too many young players only get a short window of opportunity, and if the team that drafts them is a place and team they don't want to be at, I would respect a player more for being up front about it rather than going along with only to disrupt a year of play by being unhappy. Eli was very vocal and up front about his feelings, which worked out for the best and got him where he wanted to go. If I was a coach, I would not want a player that was not happy to be on my team. I would have been far more angry had he kept quiet and then played half heartedly and then said mid season he didn't want to be in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM

546 posts, read 1,925,685 times
If I was a football player I'd want to have a say in where I was going to play and live. These players get traded and cut all the time and then what? I say good for him, he said where he wanted to go and it worked out. Does the OP stand up for the player when he gets injured and then get cut out of nowhere?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM

3,339 posts, read 12,671,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
If I was a football player I'd want to have a say in where I was going to play and live. These players get traded and cut all the time and then what? I say good for him, he said where he wanted to go and it worked out. Does the OP stand up for the player when he gets injured and then get cut out of nowhere?
I agree with you. Another point that I think a lot of people are missing is the fact that San Diego had Drew Brees at the time and I don't think they were in a panick for a Q.B. Now his first few years weren't stellar but he did go 12-4 in 2004 and they went on to the playoffs. The Giants were comming off the Kerry Collins to Jesse Palmer to Curt Warner connection and I think it was obvious to his fater (Archie) that New York was where he would get his playing time. Hey it could have been worse. Just imagine if Chris Simms was a year younger. That would have put him into the '04 draft with Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers. What do you think ole Phil would have done?

Last edited by exhdo1; 01-24-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,506,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I thought it was classless and disgusting. I can't imagine why someone would pass a chance to live in San Diego to live in NJ
There is more football tradition in NY than in CA, some people value that rather than the "oooh look at me, look at me" living locales. Besides, NJ and NY are wonderful places to live, with bigger sports rivalries and history. If youre into sports and want to be amongst fans who live and breathe them and have bitter rivals, NY is the obvious choice. If you want to live in a non-traditional sports market and be surrounded by bandwagoning fans who know more about what celebrity is dating who, than who is on their teams' IR list, then CA is the better choice.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM

132 posts, read 558,130 times
Nice post, Steve-O, I guess anybody can post whatever crap they want here, and Steve-O, no hate there, no false accusations or stereotypes, just like good ol' Eli-

That was the most embarrasing and disgusting, classless thing Mr. Manning did.
What a baby. Pouting, boo hoo......
Unbelievable!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,480,768 times
Yup. I'm a native New Yorker, and have always had an affinity for the Giants. Now, even though I'm a die-hard Pats fan, I'm glad that the Giants made the Super Bowl...well, all the Giants except for Eli.

It was fun several weeks ago watching the games with a Giants fan. He was giving me crap about the Pats, and I just came back with "wahhh....I want to be in a bigger market, so I'll cry until I get traded to the Giants".

I have NO respect for him, at all. Who in the world is HE to think that he's "all that" and has some right to be in a particular market? Even though I don't like the Chargers (for personal reasons), I have to chuckle every time I think about that draft. Showing Eli that he strictly was a commodity. Kudos to them. Draft him, and have the upper hand for trading purposes. Right on!

I have no tolerance for anyone who feels like things are OWED to them because of their pedigree. The little whining QB of the Giants is no exception.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,338,018 times
No, it doesn't irritate me that Eli Manning wanted to play for the Giants. But it did (until this season's playoffs) irritate me that the Giants paid so much in terms of draft picks to move up to #1 to pick him ... esp. after Big Ben won the SB a couple years ago (whom I wanted the Giants to get if they didn't trade up). If Eli wins the SB on 2/3 and continues post season success in future years, then obviously it will have all been worth it.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,962,796 times
I thought it was pretty childish. How many college players have the privilege of getting drafted into the NFL? I'd be grateful that anyone chose me.

If everyone did what Eli did, the entire purpose for the draft would be undermined, and the good players would never go to the bad teams.

Of course, if he was that dead-set against going to the Chargers, San Diego never should have drafted him in the first place.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's easy to knock what he did now, but at the time San Diego was in disarray and the outlook looked bleak. Remember the whole Ryan Leaf fiasco. Plus factor in that his dad played for a poorly run organization (the Saints) and you can see why he did what he did.
Ya know? I never looked at it that way. You may have a good point there. Ryan Leaf........the biggest bust in NFL history. There were a lot of people in Indianapolis who wanted the Colts to take him instead of Peyton.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM

768 posts, read 2,273,036 times
Note that this happens in baseball all of the time where players in the draft dicate where they do and don't want to go (the Eli scenario was just more high profile). A lot of it has to do with the lack of a salary cap in baseball, so if a team with a high draft pick doesn't have the money to pay for the signing bonus and contract that the player is going to demand, they pass up on him for someone they can sign at a lower price. As a result, you might see someone that's drafted in the middle of the first round in baseball actually get paid more out of the gate than players pick a lot higher than him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or