U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,479,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
Nice post, Steve-O, I guess anybody can post whatever crap they want here, and Steve-O, no hate there, no false accusations or stereotypes, just like good ol' Eli-

That was the most embarrasing and disgusting, classless thing Mr. Manning did.
What a baby. Pouting, boo hoo......
Unbelievable!
"Hate"? "False accusations"? "Stereotypes"? Curious... what "hate, false accusations or stereotypes" has Eli presented? Answer that.

Sounds like the only ones who are pouting and crying boo-hoo are those in CA who were offended by Eli's choice. Speaking of babies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,332,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Note that this happens in baseball all of the time where players in the draft dicate where they do and don't want to go (the Eli scenario was just more high profile). A lot of it has to do with the lack of a salary cap in baseball, so if a team with a high draft pick doesn't have the money to pay for the signing bonus and contract that the player is going to demand, they pass up on him for someone they can sign at a lower price. As a result, you might see someone that's drafted in the middle of the first round in baseball actually get paid more out of the gate than players pick a lot higher than him.
I remember another high profile #1 pick but in a different sport: hockey. The Quebec Nordiques (I think) wanted to draft Eric Lindros, but he absolutely refused to sign with them. So he (via that pick) was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I remember another high profile #1 pick but in a different sport: hockey. The Quebec Nordiques (I think) wanted to draft Eric Lindros, but he absolutely refused to sign with them. So he (via that pick) was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.
I was gonna mention that but didnt want to bring hockey into the picture, but now that you mention it....

Even on press day he wouldnt wear the Nords jersey, he just held it up for pictures. Funny thing is, it was his mother who had a big say in the whole ordeal. LOL Seriously. Anyways people are treating the issue like its some big, huge deal. The player will play where they want to play unless theyre contractually bound.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 PM

157 posts, read 589,983 times
So, I have a question maybe somebody can help with. I understand that the NFL has a salary cap, but how does the draft stand up under scrutiny .. why has it not been legally overruled?

For instance, a top-rate lawyer leaving law school may be highly recruited by any number of "high profile firms". But she/he is FREE to CHOOSE between offers .. where would she/he like to live and raise a family ... Pro athletes don't have the same freedom if they are drafted .. why? Why couldn't Eli, John, Eric, and others just make a deal with any "firm" who recruits them (especially in the NFL, where the salary cap keeps things more even)? Don't get me wrong, I still think pro athletes have a pretty good gig .. just curious about how this system holds water.

I would think that some top-rate lawyer at some high profile firm would have been very interested in testing the legality of the NFL (or other) draft before now. Does someone know more than I do on this (that's usually not too hard on any subject ... )

thanks ...

Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,363,821 times
I agree he was a prick at that time, but if he can beat the detested Patriots, all is forgiven!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was gonna mention that but didnt want to bring hockey into the picture, but now that you mention it....

Even on press day he wouldnt wear the Nords jersey, he just held it up for pictures. Funny thing is, it was his mother who had a big say in the whole ordeal. LOL Seriously. Anyways people are treating the issue like its some big, huge deal. The player will play where they want to play unless theyre contractually bound.
Many times, the parents do get involved. If I recall, Archie was pretty involved w/ Eli's wanting to go to NY instead of SD.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 12,663,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Many times, the parents do get involved. If I recall, Archie was pretty involved w/ Eli's wanting to go to NY instead of SD.
Your right, Archie did want him to go to the Giants and it was Ernie Accorsi that wanted him (the same Ernie Accorsi that made the Elway deal in Denver). Part of it had to do with him (Eli) getting playing time behind Drew Brees. I'm tired of people that obviously have no idea of what they are talking about beating this kid up. Once again for those who don't know what happened, Rivers was selected by the Giants and Manning was selected by the Chargers. Yes Manning did say that he wouldn't sign with San Diego. Did the two teams talk about a subsequent trade before hand? Of course they did. The bottom line is the deal was made and the Chargers wound up with Rivers and draft picks for the trade. Does anyone here actually believe that the Chargers "knowingly" put themselves in a bad situation by making the trade? They knew exactly what they were doing and made the deal, nobody forced it on them. If people were to actually follow pro sports they would realize that these types of trades happen often. It's not unlike when a player is playing for a team and asks to be traded (a.k.a. Jason Kidd right now), for whatever reason. Bottom line is you don't wan't a player on your team that is unhappy being there, especially one who is playing the position of starting quarterback on your football team.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 12,663,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
"Hate"? "False accusations"? "Stereotypes"? Curious... what "hate, false accusations or stereotypes" has Eli presented? Answer that.

Sounds like the only ones who are pouting and crying boo-hoo are those in CA who were offended by Eli's choice. Speaking of babies....
You know I hardly ever agree with you. Actually I don't think I have ever agreed with you, but your right on this one. I'm a Giants fan and never once heard Eli cry about anything.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
You know I hardly ever agree with you. Actually I don't think I have ever agreed with you, but your right on this one. I'm a Giants fan and never once heard Eli cry about anything.
Welllll, holy crap, I knew you'd come around someday.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Your right, Archie did want him to go to the Giants and it was Ernie Accorsi that wanted him (the same Ernie Accorsi that made the Elway deal in Denver). Part of it had to do with him (Eli) getting playing time behind Drew Brees. I'm tired of people that obviously have no idea of what they are talking about beating this kid up. Once again for those who don't know what happened, Rivers was selected by the Giants and Manning was selected by the Chargers. Yes Manning did say that he wouldn't sign with San Diego. Did the two teams talk about a subsequent trade before hand? Of course they did. The bottom line is the deal was made and the Chargers wound up with Rivers and draft picks for the trade. Does anyone here actually believe that the Chargers "knowingly" put themselves in a bad situation by making the trade? They knew exactly what they were doing and made the deal, nobody forced it on them. If people were to actually follow pro sports they would realize that these types of trades happen often. It's not unlike when a player is playing for a team and asks to be traded (a.k.a. Jason Kidd right now), for whatever reason. Bottom line is you don't wan't a player on your team that is unhappy being there, especially one who is playing the position of starting quarterback on your football team.
Well said!

Going a little off topic, is Kidd complaining again of wanting to be traded? I know the Nets have been struggling lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or