U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,212,189 times

Advertisements

Yes, Eli Manning is a terrible guy for doing that Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,852,497 times
I know this is an old thread. I will always dislike him because of that. The draft is set up to help teams. Once players start trying to dictate where they go I think they are messing with the system. Imagine if no stud picks agreed to play for the crappy teams.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,471,195 times
Eli was 'powerful' enough to be able to decide where he wanted to play. Some players have the ability to dictate terms. If you have the ability to dictate terms, why would you accept going to a 'random' team if you dont have to?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 AM

11,729 posts, read 11,572,611 times
Hmmm, didn't know this story and not sure which side of the fence I'm sitting on. I do like Eli though and with stories like this sometimes there is more than meets the eye.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,819,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Hmmm, didn't know this story and not sure which side of the fence I'm sitting on. I do like Eli though and with stories like this sometimes there is more than meets the eye.
I haven't taken the time to read through the entire thread, but I don't recall either Archie or Eli stating that he didn't want to play in SD because of market size or team performance. I suspect it had to do with the Chargers GM, who has a reputation as being a gigantic penis.

Kinda funny how Eli has won two SBs since this thread started and SD still hasn't reached one. I suspect Eli feels comfortable with his decision.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM

51 posts, read 31,353 times
The problem with what Eli Manning did is that the draft is a structure specifically intended to distribute talent throughout the league, while steering the top talent towards those teams that performed poorest the previous season. The goal is competitive balance, which is ultimately designed to increase the profitability of the league (the even sharing of television revenue serves the same purpose). This increased profitability, of course, ends up financially benefiting the players -- including Manning -- through both immediate revenue and by increasing the long-term stability of the league.

And this requirement isn't onerous. All he had to do was bide his time and spend four years in San Diego, after which he could have become a free agent and headed to what he deemed were greener pastures. Oh, the horrors of having to spend the years (well, half of each of those years) between 22 and 26 years of age living in San Diego while earning seven figures!

Finally, it is worth noting that, having signed with New York, Manning became a member of the players union, tacitly agreeing to the provisions of its labor agreement, which include the terms of the college draft. So Manning is a signatory to a contract which demands of incoming drafted college players something to which he refused to agree. Quite the hypocrite.

Why did Eli do what he did? Simple -- he could. He narcissistically gamed the very system that fills his coffers, caring not a whit about anything but his own immediate desires. Say what you will about Peyton Manning, I doubt Indianapolis was precisely where the #1 overall draft pick in 1998 would have worked/lived had he been able to pick from any of the 28 NFL metropolitan areas. But I guess Peyton, unlike his brother, realized he had it very good (to put it mildly) and that the least he could do was abide by the norms of the hand-over-fist moneymaker that is the NFL.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,134,299 times
This move by Eli Manning revitalized Drew Brees career as Phillip Rivers would holdout of his contract while Drew Brees went on and lead the Chargers to a 12-4 record. Now Phillip Rivers is stuck with A.J. Smith and Norv Turner whereas Brees and Manning have both won a Superbowl and became Superbowl MVP for a different team.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM

1,080 posts, read 829,409 times
Every man for himself. If the NFL allowed it, how is it Eli's fault?!

How can anyone hate/dislike Eli or fault him for wanting to play in one of the best football franchises known to man, it's not personal, it's business, he, he.

Y'all need to get a grip hare, hate the organization and the flawed system that represents and encourages it.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,852,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Y'all need to get a grip hare, hate the organization and the flawed system that represents and encourages it.

How exactly does the system encourage this? It has happened only a handful of times out of thousands and thousands of draft picks.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM

1,080 posts, read 829,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How exactly does the system encourage this? It has happened only a handful of times out of thousands and thousands of draft picks.
Bottom line, NFL allowed it, they made a deal and the Chargers were well compensated.

Eli and Rivers were 1 and 2 pick in the nation respectively, no guarantees for either to win a SB, but the irony here is Eli was green and a work in progress as Rivers was considered a better QB than Eli out of college, it's only an issue now because Eli has 2 Superbowl rings.

At any rate, Chargers with Rivers at the helm were favorite to win the Superbowl way before Eli/Giants were. That the Chargers could not produce is not Eli's fault, Rivers was not surrounded with the players he needed to get to the Superbowl, falls into the 'too bad' category and on management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or