U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,625,980 times
Reputation: 1670

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Man Seattle is really going to have trouble retaining some of their soon to be free agents. I think that Wilson is a good QB, but certainly not worth the money he is getting.
Leading his team to two Super Bowls in 3 years will get you that kind of contract, period. He's earned it and is just scratching the surface IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,625,980 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Wow, $31m signing bonus sounds sweet. The rest of the contract seems worth it though, provided he doesn't get injured on a running play one day. He's been fantastic.
The thing about Russel is that he's smart with his running plays. You won't see him taking huge shots as he knows when to get down/out of bounds. If he gets injured it'd be from an illegal hit probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Midwest USA
216 posts, read 153,077 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Leading his team to two Super Bowls in 3 years will get you that kind of contract, period. He's earned it and is just scratching the surface IMO.
Wilson is good, no doubt. But he isn't an elite QB by any means and I could list off 8-10 guys I would rather have then him. It's not like he single handedly lead his teams to two superbowls. He has the benefit of playing on a team with a historically elite defense and is handing the ball off to arguably the best back in the NFL. I like Wilson but he isn't asked to carry the team because the Seahawks have an excellent defense and running game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 05:12 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,512,204 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The thing about Russel is that he's smart with his running plays. You won't see him taking huge shots as he knows when to get down/out of bounds. If he gets injured it'd be from an illegal hit probably.
Yeah I don't worry about his safety, he's pretty smart. But I do worry about him fumbling when he doesn't tuck the ball. I haven't seen him lose the ball yet though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,512,204 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Wilson is good, no doubt. But he isn't an elite QB by any means and I could list off 8-10 guys I would rather have then him. It's not like he single handedly lead his teams to two superbowls. He has the benefit of playing on a team with a historically elite defense and is handing the ball off to arguably the best back in the NFL. I like Wilson but he isn't asked to carry the team because the Seahawks have an excellent defense and running game.
Wilson has had plenty of awesome clutch drives. He had a historically good defense one year. Last year they might not have even had the #1 (scoring) defense had they not played a bunch of collapsing teams down the stretch. You can say he's no Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers. But just like Flacco, he doesn't get enough respect (very different styles obviously). I couldn't list 8-10 guys I'd take over Wilson. I couldn't even list 5 if you take age into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Call me when a surgeon has 70,000+ people paying to watch him work with another million or so watching on TV.
Call me when you read past the first sentence of a post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,930 posts, read 19,160,240 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Call me when you read past the first sentence of a post.
I did. Doesn't change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Born & Raised DC > Carolinas > Seattle > Denver
9,349 posts, read 5,570,580 times
Reputation: 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Wilson is good, no doubt. But he isn't an elite QB by any means and I could list off 8-10 guys I would rather have then him. It's not like he single handedly lead his teams to two superbowls. He has the benefit of playing on a team with a historically elite defense and is handing the ball off to arguably the best back in the NFL. I like Wilson but he isn't asked to carry the team because the Seahawks have an excellent defense and running game.
exactly. as one of the local talk radio guys said here recently about Russell: If you look at the team that was already assembled when he got there, Wilson might've walked into the best situation of any rookie QB in NFL history. The team was pretty much already a Superbowl contender when he arrived."

I've seen so many people say that "well he got to two superbowls." yes, he did. but with that defense and Beastmode, you could plug in any top 12 QB in the NFL and they'd all probably make the Superbowl too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 04:58 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,512,204 times
Reputation: 1143
Even if he's not the best QB in history, he makes some spectacular plays, great drives. For example, the pass down the sideline at the end of the SB, all the scrambling plays on foot, his game winning drive in OT against Denver, the comeback against Green Bay, etc. Who cares if he doesn't throw for 400 yards? He does what he has to do to win. Both Wilson and Flacco are proven winners even if they aren't guys who could lead a bunch of nobodies to 11 or 12 wins a year. They both are very good at putting a drive together when the game is on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Midwest USA
216 posts, read 153,077 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Even if he's not the best QB in history, he makes some spectacular plays, great drives. For example, the pass down the sideline at the end of the SB, all the scrambling plays on foot, his game winning drive in OT against Denver, the comeback against Green Bay, etc. Who cares if he doesn't throw for 400 yards? He does what he has to do to win. Both Wilson and Flacco are proven winners even if they aren't guys who could lead a bunch of nobodies to 11 or 12 wins a year. They both are very good at putting a drive together when the game is on the line.
He is in a position to win because the team around him is so great. I agree that he has made some nice plays in big games, but the Seahawks are always within striking distance because of their excellent defense and all pro RB. They control the clock and pretty much ask Wilson not to **** up.

It's not that I think Wilson is a scrub by any means (I'm a Rams fan so this probably comes off as sour grapes but whatever) but I don't think he could carry a team that was reliant on elite QB play. That's why I believe he is overpaid.

Here are some quarterbacks I would take over Russel Wilson ( I am not taking into account age or future at this point. This list is limited to guys I would take over Wilson just for 2015)

Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Cam Newton
Peyton Manning
Andrew Luck
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top