U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,863,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Quite a few good points, Bradd. I read them all and acknowledge them.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm still just baffled that he has become the second highest paid QB in the league, when his QB stats aren't in the top 10.

And when I say "stats," I mean the big time stats, the Hollywood stuff. total passing yards, pass attempts, completion percentage....not those obscure, off the beaten path stats, like "only the 3rd qb in nfl history to score 3 or more touchdowns when his team plays on an odd numbered day of the month in November."

If you look at the "big time" stats, Wilson is nowhere to be found. Hey man, he's a good QB, probably around 10th or so in the league overall. But how is he the 2nd highest paid?
The guy is on another level compared to other QBs in regards to rushing ability. I believe that I s what makes him qualified for being second highest paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,790,710 times
Wilson was really underpaid for what he accomplished for three years. They are probably making up for that a little. He is an amazing athlete and team leader of course. Talk about poise under pressure.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:35 PM

7,248 posts, read 4,688,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The scary part is, Seattle hasn't even seen Russel really get completely comfortable yet IMO. He's a game manager and will take what the defense gives him but there will be a point, maybe this year, where he's taking what he wants and dictating more like an elite QB such as Rodgers or Manning might do. I saw this same thing at NC State out of Wilson and no doubt he's worth every dime of that contract.
This part of your post, I disagree with. I don't think his ceiling is very far up from where he already is. I think he's a very good quarterback, but I think his passing skills are limited (at least, in comparison to many of the other QBs being discussed in this thread) and his decisionmaking is questionable (that interception was just a terrible pass, and a very poor decision. he saw the defenders right in front of him, knew where they were, and picked the worst possible place to put the ball). I don't know how much he's capable of improving in either of those areas. He'll get somewhat better with more experience, sure - but not enough to put him on the same level as the true greats.

Quote:

As far as taking other QB's ahead of Wilson, if I was a GM and could pick any QB I wanted to start my franchise with in 2015 there would only be one other that I'd even consider and that's Rodgers. The others mentioned above are too old, too injury prone or simply don't have that "it" factor where you know that if the game is on the line and you need a clutch play, they'll deliver.
Mmm.... well, I guess I sort disagree here too, although not on the Wilson part. I'm a diehard Packer fan, and I can think of a couple of quarterbacks I'd take over Rodgers - if we're talking just one season, with no thought for the future. Brady, Brees, and possibly even Roethlisberger. Brady and Roethlisberger have demonstrated that they know how to elevate their game significantly in the playoffs, and Rodgers has not. I think Brees is probably more capable of that than Rodgers is as well.

But as far as Wilson and the "it" factor - you are dead on. As I said, his skillset is limited in comparison to the truly elite passers in the league, but he has something few other QBs ever even understand, much less possess - that uncanny ability to make just the right play at just the right time. The man is a born winner, and that's something that just can not be taught. You either have it or you don't, and if he has proven just one significant thing in his career thus far, it's that he has it. I do not like the man (in fact, I can't stand him), but credit where credit is due. When a playoff game is on the line, and it's all down to one play, Brady is probably the only quarterback in the league right now who I'd rather smack on the ass and tell him to get out there and get it done.

I expect Wilson to retire with above average career stats, but at least 2 and probably 3 rings. Aaron Rodgers will go into Canton with some of the best numbers in the history of the game, and no more than 2 rings, tops - if that. That's why Wilson got that contract. Is he worth it? I dunno; time will tell. But one thing's for sure, he didn't Flacco his way into that contract - he got it because he has shown that "winner" quality consistently enough for a long enough period of time that it's reasonable to assume that he'll always have it. And that (not 104 QB ratings) is what brings home Lombardis.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 PM

7,248 posts, read 4,688,438 times
Quote:
Manning is the same way. You rattle him and you can pretty much predict the rest of the game.
Add Rodgers to that last - especially in postseason games. Get inside his head early, and the guy looks like a grenade getting ready to explode.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,628,385 times
Hopefully Russell doesn't get distracted with his sudden fame and being "the guy" people want at their party or gathering especially now that he's dating singer Ciara. He's always been very down to earth, not flashy and has always given back more to others, hopefully that does not change now. Oddly, I could see that being more of an issue to his continued success than defenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or