Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times

Advertisements

I agree that Wilson does not get this contract if he is not on Seattle, or at least likely not. But still I think the guy is very good and will eventually prove fully capable of leading a team just like Luck, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady etc.

His running ability couple with his ability to constantly avoid the big hit when he does run is truly remarkable and I think down played by many. It is a back breaker when QBs scramble for 7-8 yards and pick up a first down. It is arguably more valuable than throwing for the first in my opinion as it kills the mindset of the defense and opens up the possibility of many different positive plays later in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 PM

217 posts, read 208,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
They were not within reasonable "striking distance" that late in the game against a very good team like Green Bay. It was 19-7 very late. Russel Wilson absolutely put them on his back late in the 4th quarter and OT and won that game. You honestly can't dispute that can you?
It's not like being down by 12 points is insurmountable. Plus, they only had 7 points to begin with because of Wilson. So he had two really good drives late in the game and in OT but Seattle would not have been down 12 in the first place if Wilson had played better the first three quarters. It's difficult for me to say a lot of humbling things about a player who tosses 4 INT's in a game and throws for only 209 yds.

Quote:
Just a quick fact check for you, Wilson also rushed for 850 yards and 6 TD's on the season. Guess you aren't counting those yards and only looking at passing yards?
No that is definitely a valid point. Wilson's is the best QB in the league at rushing for yards and scrambling to get those yards. No doubt.

Quote:
Another fun fact is that Wilson only threw 7 INT's on the season, way fewer than Luck, Manning or Brees. So, to recap, less overall passing yards, way more rushing yards and significantly fewer INT's. Sounds pretty solid to me.
This is idiotic reasoning. Wilson had 195 less passing attempts then Brees, 152 less then Luck, and 133 less then Manning. When you attempt more passes you are going to get intercepted more often no matter how good you are. Here's a fun fact; Alex Smith had a lower INT% then Wilson. When you aren't asked to carry a team you don't have to sling the ball around the field and risk getting intercepted when you know your defense will continue to shut down your opponent.

Luck, Manning, and Brees threw for 40, 39, and 33 touchdowns respectively. Wilson had only 26 rushing and passing. He simply is not asked to do as much for his team as other elite quarterbacks.

Quote:
Why the crush on Luck? He's literally not led his team to anything and hasn't won as many games as Wilson either with a much easier schedule than Wilson along the way. Manning and Brees aren't clutch, sorry. Rodgers and Brady are winners no doubt. I'd put Wilson more in the realm of Brady and Rodgers than Manning, Brees and Luck. Those three are stat queens and that's about it. Luck may pan out to be a winner but he's literally done nothing to prove that to this point other than some nice individual stat seasons for himself.
This is all hyperbolic nonsense. "stat queens", "not clutch". So there's something wrong with throwing for a lot of yards and touchdowns? I don't get why putting up impressive numbers is supposed to be a bad thing. You tell me.

Quote:
Defense absolutely wins championships, that's no secret. You can't disparage what Wilson has done thus far just because the Seattle defense is really good. His offensive "weapons", aside from Lynch, up to this point have been hideous. Literally no one on the offensive side of the ball would be players anyone would draft in fantasy football and expect to win, that's how weak they've been. But there they are, in two Super Bowls in three seasons. It's not because the defense is scoring 25 points per game, that's for sure.
If defense absolutely wins championships then why are so critical of Luck and Brees for "not being winners." You're contradicting yourself. You criticize Luck for "literally not leading his team to anything" while saying that you think that defense wins championships. The defense does not score 25 points per game but the Seahawks very, very, rarely have to come back from a big deficit because they don't surrender many points.

Quote:
Wilson absolutely got drafted into the perfect situation. What QB wouldn't want to come into the league with a top defense and not be required to throw it 40 times a game? But, the fact is, he's clutch and has ice water in those veins. You pay good money for that as a GM as that isn't something you learn or develop in a gym. Seattle knows they aren't finding that again probably and dished out the cash. Obviously you can't keep everyone but finding another LB or DT is a helluva lot easier than another good QB. That's why you pay him that money.
He's "clutch." That's a useless cliche. I have to admit throwing an INT on the goal line in the final seconds of the Super Bowl was pretty clutch.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree man. I can't wait for the season to start. If Wilson has a big year then I will eat my words but I just don't think he is an elite quarterback.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:09 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
It's not like being down by 12 points is insurmountable. Plus, they only had 7 points to begin with because of Wilson. So he had two really good drives late in the game and in OT but Seattle would not have been down 12 in the first place if Wilson had played better the first three quarters. It's difficult for me to say a lot of humbling things about a player who tosses 4 INT's in a game and throws for only 209 yds.
I disagree with most of your points, but I will focus on this. How many QBs in the league are there that could play so horribly all game long, then turn things around, put together a spectacular 4th quarter and win the game? When Brady gets sacked, intercepted multiple times, doesn't do anything well, etc. all game long, he loses his cool, starts whining to the refs, and so on.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
His first years are historic
Are Russell Wilson's first three years the best in NFL history? - Field Gulls

Old 08-09-2015, 10:57 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I disagree with most of your points, but I will focus on this. How many QBs in the league are there that could play so horribly all game long, then turn things around, put together a spectacular 4th quarter and win the game? When Brady gets sacked, intercepted multiple times, doesn't do anything well, etc. all game long, he loses his cool, starts whining to the refs, and so on.
Manning is the same way. You rattle him and you can pretty much predict the rest of the game.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:

He's "clutch." That's a useless cliche. I have to admit throwing an INT on the goal line in the final seconds of the Super Bowl was pretty clutch.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree man. I can't wait for the season to start. If Wilson has a big year then I will eat my words but I just don't think he is an elite quarterback.

You'll need to talk to the coaching staff about the worst play call in Super Bowl history. The defense made an absolutely great play for sure but that's the worst call you could probably make in that situation given the running ability of both your QB and having Beast.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree and that's fine. Wilson has been doubted his entire career because of his height, his lack of size, etc. so people will continue to do that but it's the immeasurable stuff like heart that is the difference maker with him. Nearly all the talking heads that rank players are putting Wilson in the top 5 this year as they are looking at the intangibles he brings as a leader versus purely stats.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Manning is the same way. You rattle him and you can pretty much predict the rest of the game.
I wanted to put him in too, but I'm not sure. I thought about when he was getting killed against Seattle all game last year, then had a great comeback in the 4th quarter. He lost in overtime, but he never even saw the ball. Usually when he loses in the playoffs, it's because he makes some dumb mistake, but it's usually a close game. There's the super bowl obviously, but everyone on his team was awful, and I'd say he was slightly better in the 2nd half of that game.

I think it's also harder to sack/hit Manning than Brady. In any case, Manning doesn't turn into a Crosby when he starts losing, but Brady does.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You'll need to talk to the coaching staff about the worst play call in Super Bowl history. The defense made an absolutely great play for sure but that's the worst call you could probably make in that situation given the running ability of both your QB and having Beast.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree and that's fine. Wilson has been doubted his entire career because of his height, his lack of size, etc. so people will continue to do that but it's the immeasurable stuff like heart that is the difference maker with him. Nearly all the talking heads that rank players are putting Wilson in the top 5 this year as they are looking at the intangibles he brings as a leader versus purely stats.
It was an awful play call, and I don't know if the coaches told him to throw it to the middle of the field, but I will say this: Lynch was wide open on the left side of the field, even though they obviously should have run it.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM

217 posts, read 208,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
None because if a QB played as terrible as Wilson did for three and a half quarters that team would probably be losing by at least 20 or more points.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
None because if a QB played as terrible as Wilson did for three and a half quarters that team would probably be losing by at least 20 or more points.
Seattle won. Wilson carried them in the 4th and OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football