U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:02 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,531,439 times

Advertisements

From a tv ratings viewpoint, I don't think San Antonio adds much.

I'm sure that San Antonians watch Cowboys and Texans games in droves. Adding San Antonio to the NFL wouldn't gain the networks many viewers.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 PM

28,577 posts, read 15,510,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
From a tv ratings viewpoint, I don't think San Antonio adds much.

I'm sure that San Antonians watch Cowboys and Texans games in droves. Adding San Antonio to the NFL wouldn't gain the networks many viewers.
I did not think of that... that's actually a good point.

Houston has it's share of Cowboy fans - but with the Oilers previously here - people wanted another team and they easily grabbed on to the Texans.

San Antonians probably already have their favorite teams since they have never had a team, and probably most of them are unfortunately Cowboy fans. If the SA team sucks, the people would probably rather see the Cowboy games.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 AM

18,661 posts, read 27,128,093 times
The Raiders are staying in California.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,491,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Soon it will become apparent even to Mark Davis and his executives that there is no way they can remain in California and still get a new stadium built for their team. The only logical alternative is to relocate to a place with a Dome ready to go and the guarantee of a new one to be built with public funding and that isnít a dying community. The obvious choice is San Antonio/Austin.

Even though St Louis has agreed to build a new stadium along the banks of the Mississippi itís economy is failing and the growth prospects for the region are next to nil. San Antonio/Austin on the other hand represent a gigantic gold mine for the Raiders as the combined region is one of the great booming areas of America and is now home to over 4 million residents. This would make SA/Austin the 12th largest market in the league incidentally. An NFL owner such as Davis would have to be either very dense or incredibly naive about these realities to choose another place to relocate.

There are numerous other logical and sound reasons why the Raiders franchise should pack up and move to Texas. Not the least of which is football's amazing and downright incredible popularity within the state. An NFL team placed in this environment would thrive and prosper enormously. That much is certain.
An NFL in San Antonio?? Don't get your hopes up.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,164,416 times
I'm surprised this hasn't already been mentioned, but the Raiders are working with the San Diego Chargers on a proposal to build a stadium in Inglewood (the LA suburb where the Lakers and Kings used to play when they played at the Forum) the two teams would share.

On a related note, the St. Louis Rams are also pursuing their own proposal to build their own stadium in Carson, another Los Angeles suburb.

Interestingly, the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers all have been based in the Los Angeles area at some point in their history (the only three NFL teams for which that is true):

Rams: 1946-1994
Chargers: 1960
Raiders: 1982-1994

Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,869,612 times
I think there are only two cities that could immediately raise the value of the Raiders to over $1 billion. Those cities are LA and NYC. At this time, neither city has an NFL franchise. In LA, the Raiders would have to share a stadium with the Chargers who are expected to move to LA. In NYC, otoh, I'm sure Mark Davis could find a developer to build a stadium in Brooklyn in exchange for a minority interest, similar to what the Brooklyn Nets accomplished. Overall, I think NYC is large enough to support three NFL teams in the greater NYC metropolitan area. LA's not bad, but will the fans support a losing team like they do in NYC?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,199,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't already been mentioned, but the Raiders are working with the San Diego Chargers on a proposal to build a stadium in Inglewood (the LA suburb where the Lakers and Kings used to play when they played at the Forum) the two teams would share.

On a related note, the St. Louis Rams are also pursuing their own proposal to build their own stadium in Carson, another Los Angeles suburb.

Interestingly, the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers all have been based in the Los Angeles area at some point in their history (the only three NFL teams for which that is true):

Rams: 1946-1994
Chargers: 1960
Raiders: 1982-1994
I think you have that backwards: It is Rams in Inglewood and Raiders/Chargers in Carson.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 AM

927 posts, read 1,211,053 times
Never say never Philly. When all is said and done the Raiders could end up in San Antonio. So far as I know there is no carved in stone, solidified stadium deal in LA. Only a lot of talk, speculation, hopes, plans etc. Whereas the Alamodome is ready for an NFL team today and will be undergoing many renovations in preparation for the upcoming 2018 NCAA men's Final Four. Moreover, public support here is very strong for adding public funding for a brand new Dome. Unlike in California where voters are very averse to any kind of public funding for any stadium deal.

So don't be so quick to write off one of the great cities in America that still has no NFL team. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,878,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Either did the Arizona Cardinals, or the Indianapolis Colts, or the St. Louis Rams -- even the LA Raiders sounds weird. It will only sound normal as the Oakland Raiders.

At least the Oilers and Browns renamed their teams so it wouldn't be so awkward. And it allowed both of those cities the option to use their old names when football returned. Cleveland said yes. Houston said no.
Nothing is as bad as the Los Angeles Lakers.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM

927 posts, read 1,211,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Raiders are staying in California.

How about some proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football