U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 AM

13,928 posts, read 19,142,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I think there are only two cities that could immediately raise the value of the Raiders to over $1 billion. Those cities are LA and NYC. At this time, neither city has an NFL franchise.
Uhh, New York City has two teams, the Jets and the Giants.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Never say never Philly. When all is said and done the Raiders could end up in San Antonio. So far as I know there is no carved in stone, solidified stadium deal in LA. Only a lot of talk, speculation, hopes, plans etc. Whereas the Alamodome is ready for an NFL team today and will be undergoing many renovations in preparation for the upcoming 2018 NCAA men's Final Four. Moreover, public support here is very strong for adding public funding for a brand new Dome. Unlike in California where voters are very averse to any kind of public funding for any stadium deal.

So don't be so quick to write off one of the great cities in America that still has no NFL team. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when.
This has always been my question for any such NFL transition: Would San Antonio be accepting a name like Raiders coming to them from a totally different state and city, or would the greater San Antonio area and its particular history, customs and people be given the option of putting together more of a Texas name change?

Old 08-16-2015, 11:40 AM

10,842 posts, read 19,416,924 times
LA needs a team first. Hopefully the Raiders move back to LA because I would like to see the Rams and Chargers stay put. Two teams in LA is stupid though, so I hope that doesn't happen.

While I can see San Antonio supporting a team, can we stop with the San Antonio / Austin is a huge area nonsense? They are somewhat close, but they are not both going to fully support a team in the other town. It's one or the other and San Antonio would probably be better because it's not a giant college town.

However, if a team moved to SA, I say move Jacksonville or Buffalo. St Louis and San Diego need to stay in the NFL.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:24 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
This has always been my question for any such NFL transition: Would San Antonio be accepting a name like Raiders coming to them from a totally different state and city, or would the greater San Antonio area and its particular history, customs and people be given the option of putting together more of a Texas name change?
The answer to that would be yes and yes. San Antonians are a loyal, rabid bunch of fans. And so if the franchise retained the Raider name and logo they would be accepted and embraced by local football fans wholeheartedly. Conversely, if the franchise ended up changing its image completely ala the Browns to Ravens case, this team would again be embraced as "our" franchise. Reflecting local area cultures and traditions etc.

The key is to actually get the Raiders franchise to relocate to Texas. Once that has been done the rest would just be semantics. The more I study this multiple team relocation situation the more I begin to realize that SA could be a big winner. The league doesn't like Mark Davis and would rather not have the Raiders return to LA any time soon. Which would leave a scenario where the Rams and Chargers would move to the LA area. Then you'd have an AFC team and an NFC team out there and LA fans would be placated for the time being.

The Raiders and Davis would be left out of the LA picture and would be forced to either stay another season in that dump of a stadium they currently play in or move to another city. Namely San Antonio. But Davis is a strange character and could end up doing something totally unpredictable.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 PM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Uhh, New York City has two teams, the Jets and the Giants.
don't you know those big city, high-browed, culturally sophisticated New Yorkers don't want to cross a river to see their teams play?

thank god George Washington wasn't a New Yorker....

Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,261,428 times
The Raiders are a heritage franchise. They're not leaving California. It'd be like the Bears moving from Chicago to Las Vegas or the Cowboys relocating to Portland.

If San Antonio gets a team (which I don't see happening in the near future), it'll be an afterthought franchise like the Jags or the Chargers.

Regardless, LA is first in line. The league is so determined to get a team back in Los Angeles that they'll probably subsidize a move there. San Antonio won't get any subsidies and the Alamodome needs anywhere from $100 - $150 million in updates to bring it up to current NFL standards.

London's next in line after LA. The league is serious about fielding a team across the pond even though a lot of people think it's a really stupid idea.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM

684 posts, read 617,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Raiders are a heritage franchise. They're not leaving California. It'd be like the Bears moving from Chicago to Las Vegas or the Cowboys relocating to Portland.

If San Antonio gets a team (which I don't see happening in the near future), it'll be an afterthought franchise like the Jags or the Chargers.

Regardless, LA is first in line. The league is so determined to get a team back in Los Angeles that they'll probably subsidize a move there. San Antonio won't get any subsidies and the Alamodome needs anywhere from $100 - $150 million in updates to bring it up to current NFL standards.

London's next in line after LA. The league is serious about fielding a team across the pond even though a lot of people think it's a really stupid idea.
You are correct. As I have said elsewhere: There's just so much of a culture and a persona that the Raiders have instilled into the West Coast. In which no other teams has. They will always belong there. Even if they were to leave, they will always be as much California as California is them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
From a tv ratings viewpoint, I don't think San Antonio adds much.

I'm sure that San Antonians watch Cowboys and Texans games in droves. Adding San Antonio to the NFL wouldn't gain the networks many viewers.
Texas is the biggest high school football state in America; and college. Just look at how many home games CBS has broadcasted for Texas A&M within their first few years of joining the SEC. Why? Because Texas is big ratings. Big ratings for Texas, TCU, A&M, Baylor, TTU. If there was any state that should have and that could support three NFL teams, it's Texas.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they'll probably relocate to St Louis after the Rams leave for LA

I doubt it, Mark Davis has already indicated he wants nothing to do with St. Louis. If the Rams move to LA which I agree with you that they will. St. Louis IMO will never be an NFL city again.

Now S.A. I can actually see that, I bet there are Raider fan there already.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,151,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Never say never Philly. When all is said and done the Raiders could end up in San Antonio. So far as I know there is no carved in stone, solidified stadium deal in LA. Only a lot of talk, speculation, hopes, plans etc. Whereas the Alamodome is ready for an NFL team today and will be undergoing many renovations in preparation for the upcoming 2018 NCAA men's Final Four. Moreover, public support here is very strong for adding public funding for a brand new Dome. Unlike in California where voters are very averse to any kind of public funding for any stadium deal.

So don't be so quick to write off one of the great cities in America that still has no NFL team. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when.
The Alamodome was opened in 1993...or two years AFTER the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis that the Rams want to leave (and three years after the Mount Davis addition at the Oakland Coliseum).

I don't think San Antonio could get an NFL team without a new stadium that would replace the Alamodome; the Alamodome is probably viewed as only a short-term solution by NFL teams. Also, Los Angeles is much more attractive to NFL teams than San Antonio is because the greater LA area is much, much larger than San Antonio is. Finally, I would think San Antonio might have to compete with nearby Austin if south central Texas tries to attract an NFL team or more broadly more major league pro sports teams to join the Spurs.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,151,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
don't you know those big city, high-browed, culturally sophisticated New Yorkers don't want to cross a river to see their teams play?

thank god George Washington wasn't a New Yorker....
Yeah, NJ Transit obviously built that rail link between Secaucus Junction (which itself was built to allow train passengers coming from Bergen County, NJ and the Hudson Valley west of its namesake river to connect with NJ Transit's other lines, many of which terminate in...New York Penn Station) and the Meadowlands sports/entertainment complex for the fun of it.

The Giants of course have their name because they play in the 46th largest of the 50 U.S. states...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football