U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times

Advertisements

No. He cheated, so he doesn't deserve to be called the greatest QB ever.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
As some others have echoed, picking a "best ever" in a position really can't be done. Rules change, players are faster and stronger, the game itself plays differently over time (eras of running back centric to pass happy league of today).

One "best ever" I will give to Brady is being part of the tandem of coach/QB. I think without a doubt Brady/Belichick have already established themselves as the best tandem. Individually, you have arguably two of the best ever in their respective positions.

Brady is and will always be on that top tier of QB's in consideration. With 4 SB victories in 6 appearances, and 6 AFC Championships in 9 appearances - that amount of hardware and chances at hardware exceeds all others. There are compelling arguments that he above others has done more with less. He has a track record of making receivers be at their best - Randy Moss had his best season with Brady, Welker and Edelman have posted incredible stats with Brady feeding the slot. Brady has succeeded all career with pretty much a non-feared running game. He's never had a Rice, Johnson, etc. over a long stretch of years to throw to.

Montana is 4-0, but he didn't go to 6, and in Brady's two losses one can easily point to stunning flukes in both games that created the losses. Favre had longevity, but his gun slinging and INT's in my opinion makes him on a lower tier. Manning has all sorts of statistical records, but doesn't hold a candle to the depth in the playoffs Brady has. Bradshaw has 4, but in that era even with Swann and Harris it was defense. Aikman has 3. Marino had stats but no SB's.

Brady wins. His team wins. He is consistent at his position, maybe not the flashiest with the long ball arm, but he's accurate in a shorter game. Does it matter how you win? I don't think so. So most of his play is quick and fast within 20 yards while others can throw a deep ball. All individual stats (completion %, TD's etc) are of secondary consideration. He will always be considered one of the best. Pats fans will say he's the best.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,787,181 times
A lot of people could have qb'd Montana and Aikmans teams to a SB victory. No other teams were near as good.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,556,423 times
An interesting stat on Rodgers, who turns 32 in Dec., and his career is not over. I stand by the argument it is apples to oranges anyways comparing current QBs and ones from other eras. I don't care for "best ever" status for any athlete.

For his career, the Packers quarterback has now thrown 229 touchdowns and 57 interceptions - or 4.02 TDs for every INT. He is the only player in NFL history to throw three TDs to every pick, let alone four. The second highest TD-to-INT ratio in NFL history belongs to Tom Brady at 2.77.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM

8,548 posts, read 8,887,738 times
Brady is part of a system as most greats are. Nobody does it on their own, but I still put Joe Montana tops. Brady down the list. Plus all of their cheating scandals takes a toll.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:39 AM

8,548 posts, read 8,887,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
A lot of people could have qb'd Montana and Aikmans teams to a SB victory. No other teams were near as good.

Not true, at all. Those years Montana won, there were other great teams. Same with Aikman, namely Steve Youngs Niners when they squared off in the defacto super bowl each year. The AFC was bad.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,159,182 times
Yes.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:51 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,749,788 times
If he keeps playing at this high level for a few more seasons he's going down as the best. Right now I put him right on top with Montana....Joe & Tom are so close in my book that they can switch off as A or 1A back and forth.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've posted this list before but it's been some time ago. NFL Films in 2010 produced a great documentary on the "Top 100 players in NFL History" which was televised by the NFL Channel. The poll was conducted by long time NFL writers from around the country. Here's what they come up with at that time. I'll just list the quarterbacks here.

4. Joe Montana
6. Johnny Unitas
8. Peyton Manning
14.Sammy Baugh
16.Otto Graham
20.Brett Favre
21.Tom Brady
23.John Elway
25.Dan Marino
33.Sid Luckman
46.Roger Staubach
50.Terry Bradshaw
51.Bart Starr
80.Troy Aikman
81.Steve Young
83.Norm Van Brocklin
90.Kurt Warner
91.Fran Tarkenton
100.Joe Namath
I'm 26, and although I didn't see most of these quarterbacks play, I consider myself a football historian. Without question, Brady is THE best quarterback of "my" (his) generation--circa 2000 until now. I felt he was pulling level with Peyton a few seasons ago, especially after the disaster Peyton had in SB 48. Last season, though, he definitively passed Peyton. Brady has ALWAYS been a better clutch and postseason performer, and he's done it, yes, with arguably the greatest coach ever, but definitely with less talented teams annually--especially OFFENSIVELY--than Peyton has had....

As for the NFL list, it's definitely changed since they released it in '10. Brady has leapfrogged everyone except Montana. Drew Brees and Ben Roethlosberger deserve to be on this list; Ben towards the bottom, Brees towards the middle. I hear some people talking about Rodgers. He's definitely trending upwards, I'd put him in the Young/Aikman/Starr range if he retired today. He is barely a 500 playoff quarterback; that absolutely has to improve. Otherwise, he'll be the next Peyton Manning---end up a statistical monster with many a record to his name, but lack of postseason success...while players like Flacco (who is improving as a QB and is without a doubt a big game, big time performer) and Wilson continue to pile up postseason victories...

Old 09-22-2015, 07:21 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Brady is part of a system as most greats are. Nobody does it on their own, but I still put Joe Montana tops. Brady down the list. Plus all of their cheating scandals takes a toll.
"All" of their cheating scandals....all as in 2...

Spygate was and is overblown, teams still tape other teams signals every game and always have the Pats crime was taping from an unauthorized location

Deflategate was a manufactured load of tripe that the NFL can't even prove happened. NFL will be measuring game balls air pressure before and after games this season, don't expect them to ever release the results if, as expected, air pressure drops in cold weather cities..

Jerry Rice however has definitively admitted to cheating while he was catching all those passes from Joe Montana while using Stickum that had been banned from the NFL at the time Jerry was playing.....

Brady is number 1 ahead of Montana and isn't even close anymore....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or