Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:00 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
We are dismissive of it because people like you come in all the time with grandiose claims that NFL players are wimps and rugby players are true heroes, and because people like you pretend you're the first person ever to tell us this.
It's been some time since we've had a thread like this but when we've touched on this issue the conversation gets salty right off the get go. And I've been modding this sub forum for several years. And the threads eventually get shut down.

I gave serious thought of shutting this thread down when I saw it come up on the board but I'll keep this thread up for an extra day or so.

I personally like Rugby, no I never played it. Been four decades since I played any contact sport but I'm paying for my bravado and then some all these years later.

Like the NFL, I'm also aware that rugby isn't very healthy for your noggin'. Over the last few years news sources overseas have pointed out the health of retired rugby players in general and the concussion issue in particular. I read BBC mail call from time to time and there are quite a few stories online regarding CTE and dementia amongst retired rugby players.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-20-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:07 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
Most of what I'm talking about is from various people in real life who are into rugby. I don't know how often it gets discussed here. But the people I've met IRL are always very aggressive about rugby being awesome and football players being pansies.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I admit I've never seen a rugby game, but American football fans are used to hearing the word SCRUM (a rugby word) when the announcers are referring to a group of guys usually trying to get possession of a fumble! Unfortunately, I believe that's the extent of my rugby knowledge.
they tend to wear striped shirts as I recall

Old 08-20-2015, 07:35 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,223 times
two of my sisters played rugby .. on the mens team ..

Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
is rugby a tough game? yes it is. is NFL football a tough game? yes it is. but do not get the idea that NFL players are wimpy and cant play rugby. take someone like ndamukong suh, or shaun lee, or guys like jason witton, and rob gronkowski, and many other NFL players. you are talking about guys that are at least 6'3" and above 260lbs, and can run the 40 yard dash in under 4.7 seconds. how many rugby players are that big and that fast? and remember these guys have to go up against players that are heavier than they are almost as quick, and just as tough. do not underestimate the NFL players.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Cant make heads or tails out of what they are doing. Segments I watched was generally a couple of guys going full steam while the others were not involved in the play at all and they would just run into the other team a few yards up the field and then do it all over again. Very boring. American football feels more like a true team sport (as in the entire team is involved on every play) and there's more action and big plays happening, plus they're more big hits.

I actually would rather watch soccer than rugby and I don't even like soccer.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Cant make heads or tails out of what they are doing. Segments I watched was generally a couple of guys going full steam while the others were not involved in the play at all and they would just run into the other team a few yards up the field and then do it all over again. Very boring. American football feels more like a true team sport (as in the entire team is involved on every play) and there's more action and big plays happening, plus they're more big hits.

I actually would rather watch soccer than rugby and I don't even like soccer.
I've been to Rugby League and Rugby Union games... have watched NFL games, all three are boring to me.
The sport with the most continuous play, and true team sport, in my opinion, is Australian Rules Football. Where each player at times, has to both be able to defend, or attack, must be able to run 15-20km in a game, and can potentially be hit from any angle, from any player, who could be any size... I think the tallest player in the league is 6'11", and one of the shortest 5'8"... (all of which are tall to me )

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Rugby football, as played in other parts of the world, is a tough game.

No helmets, no shoulder pads, as a matter of fact, no padding at all. Shorts and t shirts, and cleated boots. A 80 minute game, played in two 40 minute halves. It is continuous action, as when a player is tackled, there is no stoppage in play, the game goes right on. ONE ref whose word is law, and who wears a transmitter mike, so that what he says, and what the players say to him, is broadcast over the stadium loud speakers, for all to hear.

Scoring is done in two ways, carry the ball across the goal line, for a touchdown, where the player actually has to physically dive to the ground, or kick the ball between the very tall goal posts. Kicking the ball forwards, while on the run is standard. No forward passing, lateral passing is the method to advance the ball, with as many as eight players spread out across the field, running and passing to each other.

Tackling is only allowed below the waist. Injuries are treated on the field, with no stoppage of play. The medics patch up cuts and scrapes, and the player continues to play.

The two top nations in Rugby football are New Zealand , and Australia. Here is a link to the 2104 final cup game. It is the entire game as it was played.

Watch a few minutes and see what you think of it. Comments are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmLcUAVbpo

Jim B.
But take hits like they do in football with those clothes and no matter how tough you are you would be out for season in most cases. I have to wander if OP has even stood among the linemen in football even. Without helmets and padding many hits would knock even the toughest out cold.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But take hits like they do in football with those clothes and no matter how tough you are you would be out for season in most cases. I have to wander if OP has even stood among the linemen in football even. Without helmets and padding many hits would knock even the toughest out cold.
I remember seeing some guy on the Texans headbutt one of his teammates to celebrate after a play... except he did it without a helmet on. Dude was bloody as hell.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
My point about NFL players, was the amount of armour plating that they wear, compared to Rugby players.
I LIKE that part. Seeing the players suited up in pads and helmets adds to the experience, IMHO. People aren't walking around Target wearing helmets and pads. The armor says "This is football. This is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football