Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:17 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times

Advertisements

Rugby football, as played in other parts of the world, is a tough game.

No helmets, no shoulder pads, as a matter of fact, no padding at all. Shorts and t shirts, and cleated boots. A 80 minute game, played in two 40 minute halves. It is continuous action, as when a player is tackled, there is no stoppage in play, the game goes right on. ONE ref whose word is law, and who wears a transmitter mike, so that what he says, and what the players say to him, is broadcast over the stadium loud speakers, for all to hear.

Scoring is done in two ways, carry the ball across the goal line, for a touchdown, where the player actually has to physically dive to the ground, or kick the ball between the very tall goal posts. Kicking the ball forwards, while on the run is standard. No forward passing, lateral passing is the method to advance the ball, with as many as eight players spread out across the field, running and passing to each other.

Tackling is only allowed below the waist. Injuries are treated on the field, with no stoppage of play. The medics patch up cuts and scrapes, and the player continues to play.

The two top nations in Rugby football are New Zealand , and Australia. Here is a link to the 2104 final cup game. It is the entire game as it was played.

Watch a few minutes and see what you think of it. Comments are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmLcUAVbpo

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Here we go again, zzzzz

Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Of course it's a tough game but so is football. Do you really think football players could not survive even one game? That's nonsense.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
I've seen a decent amount of rugby and there is not continuous action. There isn't a team sport that has continuous action. Yes the NFL has a lot more breaks and stoppage than rugby, but there is not constant action during a rugby game. Same goes for soccer. People always claim that there aren't any breaks and players are constantly running. Watch a soccer game and you'll see plenty of breaks in the action.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
When a person has a certain sport in mind, their build, physique, natural athletic ability plays into it. Saying could an NFL player play rugby, certainly, some of the TEs, that run, catch, block come to mind. I don't get point of the post, I guess.

Rugby, soccer are popular in other countries, NFL football is popular here, I don't get these discussions sometimes and why does it matter?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
ONE ref whose word is law, and who wears a transmitter mike, so that what he says, and what the players say to him, is broadcast over the stadium loud speakers, for all to hear.
I'd love for the NFL to do this with mics & broadcast all over the stadium loud speakers

Quote:
Tackling is only allowed below the waist.
What do you mean? It looked to me like most tackles are above the waist with 2-3 guys being involved. 1 guy tackling below the waist & 2 guys tackling above the waist.
For example, see the video at 27:01, 27:11, 27:30

Quote:
Watch a few minutes and see what you think of it. Comments are welcome.
I liked it. I wish it would be on TV more (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) & replace the popularity of soccer here.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Marshawn Lynch of present day football for one. Players of the past I would say Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds and Dick Butkus to name two of many.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
My point about NFL players, was the amount of armour plating that they wear, compared to Rugby players. Helmet spearing in NFL games would disappear, if they were not wearing any helmets.

The second point is that in NFL games, there are two complete sets of players, on each team, who only play offence or defence. When the other team has the ball, the offensive players are sitting on the bench, while their defensive players are on the field. And in NFL games, after each tackle the ball is grounded and a period of time passes, until the next down is played.

In rugby all players play in both directions, all the time. And the play continues after a tackle takes place.

It seems obvious that many Americans are unwilling to even spend a few minutes to watch some part of a Rugby game, and are so dismissive of it. Only one response so far has expressed any interest in watching more Rugby.

Jim B.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
We are dismissive of it because people like you come in all the time with grandiose claims that NFL players are wimps and rugby players are true heroes, and because people like you pretend you're the first person ever to tell us this.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
I admit I've never seen a rugby game, but American football fans are used to hearing the word SCRUM (a rugby word) when the announcers are referring to a group of guys usually trying to get possession of a fumble! Unfortunately, I believe that's the extent of my rugby knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football