U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,236,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Also don't forget how RG3 was being hailed as a God following his rookie season. How's that working out for him?
That's just it. You can't look at one game and determine, that's how these guys are going to play from here on out. Redskins fans know this all too well with RGIII. I wonder how many of you remember Bret Favre's first pass of his NFL career? It was against the Redskins and it was a pick six. He looked pretty awful in the early going as well. Things turned out pretty good for him. Not trying to compare Winston to Favre in just merely that you can't judge a quarterback's early success or failure and say he's going to be a bust or a hall of famer. You don't really often see the true play of these guys until they have been in the league for about three or four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,977,230 times
I think Winston will be good at the NFL Level, but it will take time. A little help up front and a lot of help on defense.
Keep in mind the 4 TDs the opponents threw against a disorganized Succaneers defense. Lovey Smith has a long way to go to get the personnel to learn and build his defense. I see some high scoring games for the visiting teams to Tampa this year.
Wit Tony Romo, Cam Newton, Eli Manning, even Drew Brees coming to Tampa, expect more of the high scoring pass attacks which the Bucs failed to stop on opening day.

But a few more players up front on the O Line and some solid defense will bring the team to a better level. It just takes time.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 AM

10,465 posts, read 5,935,374 times
There are a few players I openly root against because they are jerks. And Winston is one of those players. So yeah yesterday was fun.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:43 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,527,718 times
Quote:
Also don't forget how RG3 was being hailed as a God following his rookie season. How's that working out for him?
Marcus will throw it away when there is Nothing. Marcus will slide when he needs to. RG3 would still be good today if he did not wreck his body every time he has a chance to showcase his skills. There is a huge difference between the teams you face while playing at Baylor vs facing a defense known as the Legion of BOOM in Seattle.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,570,580 times
no disrespect to Mariota, but I mean...he did that against the Bucs. Week 4 against the Bills will tell us who Mariota really is. That defense is so good

Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,527,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
no disrespect to Mariota, but I mean...he did that against the Bucs. Week 4 against the Bills will tell us who Mariota really is. That defense is so good
I saw that on the schedule...that will be a real test. I like his chances though. The Bucs may not win that one but I think Marcus will still be impressive. Looking at the schedule, I see 8 or 9 wins possible.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,128,635 times
Quote:
That's true. Mariota will have to step it up a notch if the Bills D comes after him. Should be more of a test.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:44 AM

32,475 posts, read 26,356,312 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I saw that on the schedule...that will be a real test. I like his chances though. The Bucs may not win that one but I think Marcus will still be impressive. Looking at the schedule, I see 8 or 9 wins possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
That's true. Mariota will have to step it up a notch if the Bills D comes after him. Should be more of a test.
agreed, as i noted previously, one game does not a career make. and the first game of ones career is not always indicative of how they will fare the rest of their career. its very possible that mariota will be a one season flash in the pan like RGlll, and winston will be a long term brette favre type. we will have to wait and see, but i think that mariota will have a long career in the NFL given his work ethic and willingness to learn new things. winston will need an attitude change if he is to have a similar career i think.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 PM

1,579 posts, read 984,894 times
Quote:
Skeeter, good point.
I'll add a few more names to that list.. Guys who were expected to revolutionize the position, & were hailed as franchise saviors. Randall Cunningham was gonna change the position, but he never won a Lombardi.. Michael Vick, Kordell Stewart,.. now Kaepernick, Griffin etc. All mobile quarterbacks who were hyped as the game-changers that were gonna displace and replace the (supposedly) boring, outdated pocket passers.
But traditional passers like the Manning brothers, Brady, Montana, Phil Simms, Aikman, Flacco continued to win the overwhelming majority of Super Bowls. Yet scouts are dogmatically still signing, and trying to sell the idea of superior mobile & read option QBs.. dumb. (and I value a QB with legs, but only as last resort, backfield scrambling, etc.. a la Steve Young).

Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,549,496 times
It's early in the season and he is a rookie, but I don't have high expectations for Winston. if he does well, I would be shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football