U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 AM

10,701 posts, read 11,108,112 times

Advertisements

After going 11-5 in week 1 I was primed and ready to dominate the prestigious CD Pro-Football Forum weekly NFL Pickoff for the 2015 season. Then like everyone else I ___ the bed in week 2 so now I'm just another fool in the rat race with the rest of you commoners!

Week 1: 11-5
Week 2: 6-10
Total: 17-15

My week 3 Picks:

Redskins @ Giants. Redskins. There are two teams that always burn me early and often in a season. One is the Cleveland Browns. I keep getting fooled by their stout defense and top-flight O-line thinking this is the year they get it together. Then after missing on them I pick their opponent and the Browns turn around and win one. The other team is the Giants. Every year I give them more credit than I should (maybe because their improbable SB wins?) and every year the Giants are one of the most frequent contributors to my loss column: either because I pick them and they lose or I pick against them and they win. So to our Redskins fans on the board, you have my apology in advance should the tide of battle stem against your team tonight. I just can't pick against a team that can run the ball the way the Redskins do as well as play lights out defense.

Falcons @ Cowboys: Falcons. This isn't last year's Falcons. It doesn't appear to be last year's Cowboys either.

Colts @ Titans: Colts. The Colts started last season 0-2 and reached the AFCCG. But you get the sense this year's 0-2 start is different. Last year they were in both games and played solid ball. They've looked like absolute garbage so far. Still I like them to rebound more so than I trust the Titans as a legit threat in the NFC South.

Raiders @ Browns: Browns. See comments above. This is a hard one to pick. The Raiders are riding high off a huge win over the Ravens. The Browns looked pretty stout against the Titans. Both of these teams believe this is the year they reverse their existance in futility, and a 2-1 start would go a long way toward reinforcing that for either team. All things being equal, I've gotta take the Browns as the home team.

Bengals @ Ravens: Bengals. I think the loss of Suggs was evident in that Raiders game. Now the Ravens have had time to regroup but they're playing a pretty sharp Bengals team that smells blood in the water. (Okay, that's a shark analogy but I don't know any good tiger analogies so work with me here!) The impact of a 3-0 start for the Bengals and an 0-3 start for the Ravens has not been lost on either team.

Jaguars @ Patriots: Patriots. Finally, an easy pick. Whatever the over is, take it. The Patriots will probably hit the over themselves. In the first half.

Saints @ Panthers: Panthers. I love those Luke McCown verizon commercials. And now that backup generator (er...QB?) is going to get his chance. But the Panthers win anyway.

Eagles @ Jets: Jets. The Eagles haven't been this catestrophic a disappointment since Vince Young proclaimed them a "dream team." Jets playing stout defense and Fitz is adequate at QB. They lack the pizzaz the Pats have, but 3-0 is 3-0.

Buccaneers @ Texans: Texans. I have Sunday Ticket from DirectTv. I bounce around from game to game when my team isn't playing. I will likely do the same this Sunday, watching a little of every game until one becomes to interesting to turn off. This game likely will not get a single second of screen time in my home this Sunday.

Chargers @ Vikings: Vikings. Two consecutive road games east is hard to overcome. Against the likes of Adrian Peterson it is even harder. The Chargers don't have enough on D to consistently stop him. They won't get blown out but they won't win.

Steelers @ Rams: Steelers. Why? Because my boss is a Steelers fan and he's looking over my shoulder as I'm making these picks when I should be doing work.

49ers @ Cardinals: Cardinals. Are we weeing what might have been in 2014 had the Cardinals not burned through QBs at the cyclic rate?

Bills @ Dolphins: Dolphins. In a rivalry game between teams I feel are pretty evenly matched I'll default to the hometeam.

Bears @ Seahawks: Seahawks. Reports of disharmony in the Seahawks locker room surfaced this week. Likely just media stirring the pot but even if they're true, Chancelor's return will go a long way toward restoring law and order. After an 0-2 start and a weak opponent for their home opener, I think the Seahawks are about to tee-off. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they blanked the Bears.

Broncos @ Lions: Broncos. Stafford has been pummeld thus far this season and now faces one of the most capable pass rushing defenses in the league. The Broncos would be wise to let Manning start a game comfortable (read: in the shotgun) and then work in Kubiak's offense gradually as the game progresses. I think this is a more effective way to get the offense working efficiently. But then again, Kubiak and Manning are real football men and I'm here chatting on CD for a reason!

Chiefs @ Packers: Packers. The Chiefs can show a lot of resiliancy if they go into Green Bay and pull an upset. A loss isn't necessarily going to entirely derail them, but they'd better at least be competitive in this one. If the game gets away from them and leads to a blowout (an contingency I consider at least possible) it could really undermine the early goings in their season.

Good luck everyone. Here's to a better week 3!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM

368 posts, read 308,534 times
Week #1: 12-4
Week #2: 7-9

Week #3 picks:

Washington over NY Giants
Atlanta over Dallas
Indianapolis over Tennessee
Cleveland over Oakland
Baltimore over Cincinnati
New England over Jacksonville
Carolina over New Orleans
NY Jets over Philadelphia
Houston over Tampa Bay
San Diego over Minnesota
Pittsburgh over St. Louis
Arizona over San Francisco
Buffalo over Miami
Seattle over Chicago
Denver over Detroit
Green Bay over Kansas City

Old 09-24-2015, 05:16 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Quote:
Dez Bryant gone for the year
Where did you hear this?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:39 PM

28,534 posts, read 15,479,779 times
NYG tonight.

-------------

mcCown to start for the Browns this week. I don't get it. Manziel has a chance to build on some momentum, and it's back to the bench. McCown is 36.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 09-24-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where did you hear this?
Maybe Terrell Owens... he wants the job...

Old 09-24-2015, 06:37 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
I read a player saying it might be on the long side rather than the shorter time frame mentioned. I think it was the Falcons Julio missed the whole year with a similar injury?

Everyone has an opinion, just like the collarbone for Romo. In 2013 Rodgers was out a long time, he wanted to come back but team held him out an extra week or two. He was not happy. He didn't have surgery on his either.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:57 PM

10,701 posts, read 11,108,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
...every year the Giants are one of the most frequent contributors to my loss column...
I'm right again. About being wrong about the Giants.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:07 PM

6,839 posts, read 7,904,721 times
A part of me wants to change my Saints pick to the Panthers, but I know once I do, the Saints will find a way to win. The Saints have been a pain in my side for my picks the last two years. I'm sure I'll regret it, but I'll leave my pick this week with the Saints.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:29 AM

6,637 posts, read 10,690,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Buffalo at Miami - Miami faked everyone out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Buffalo at Miami - I think Miami is in trouble; they just don't know it yet.
The Dolphins needed most of all linebackers, and a full back. In the event, the draft was useless, they paid hundreds of millions for an ineffectual defensive lineman, and on offense they shifted around wide receivers and tight ends.

So now their entire front seven on defense is mediocre and their offence is not significantly improved.

They struggled against the Redskins, winning on a punt return, lost against the Jaguars, and the back end of their season schedule is tough.

They will be lucky to go 8-8, again, this year, and it could be worse, much worse.

If it turns out that way, time for a new coaching staff? Maybe the front office too.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:26 PM

16-16 for the year.

WEEK 3

Thursday, Sept. 24
Washington Redskins at New York Giants (from my prior post)

Sunday, Sept. 27
Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens
New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers
Oakland Raiders at Cleveland Browns
Atlanta Falcons at Dallas Cowboys
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Houston Texans
San Diego Chargers at Minnesota Vikings
Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots
Philadelphia Eagles at New York Jets
Pittsburgh Steelers at St. Louis Rams
Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans

San Francisco 49ers at Arizona Cardinals
Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins
Chicago Bears at Seattle Seahawks

Denver Broncos at Detroit Lions

Monday, Sept. 28
Kansas City Chiefs at Green Bay Packers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football