U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:27 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,151,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wow. Your Denver Bronco Homerism is bodaciously vociferous.

Nice job, Bosco.
Everyone knows I am a Broncos fan, but that doesn't have anything to do with the talents of the players I mentioned.

- Bailey was elite before coming to Denver, and was 1st team All-Pro in 2005-2006 (as well as 2004) and led the league in interceptions both years and just lost out to Jason Taylor as the 2006 Defensive Player of the Year voting. There's no debating that that two year span was one for the ages.

- Talib was another one that was elite before coming to Denver. He played very well last year as he been absolutely phenomenal this year with two big clutch interceptions. Let's not forget that less than a week ago he was singled up on Calvin Johnson all game and shut him down.

- I was beating the drum on Harris back in 2011 and 2012 when some (including you, IIRC) were down on him and most others had no clue who he was.

Of course, if you don't believe me, you can always fire up NFL Network where Talib and Harris are consistently talked about as elite players and the best cornerback tandem in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 4,638,608 times
Quote:

Nice job, Bosco.

That out of the way, I'd like to give props to Mike Haynes as being a decent cb with stellar character. The only thing that stands out for me about Lester Hayes was watching him gouge the eyes out of a Bronco receiver while he was on the ground. He was a dirty punk who got away with a bunch of crap. Today, he would be benched. When commenting about the offense after the game, Lester was heard saying something to the effect, "Being that he was a fellow Texas Aggie, I was just removing a spec of dust that I saw in the corner of his eye." Nice legacy for him. That is what Lester Hayes was, an eye-gouging cheater. He needed stickum.

Louis Wright of the Broncos had exceptionally soft hands for a cb and would go down as my pick for most underrated of all time. It's my opinion or perhaps biased memory, but it seems to me that qbs often threw away from him.
I think you might be confusing Lester Hayes with Jack Tatum. Tatum was a free safety for the Raiders at the same time and loved to call himself "the assassin". He was as dirty of a player as they come and was responsible for the infamous hit on Daryl Stingley that left him paralyzed. He just loved to hit a defenseless receiver in the head while he was looking for the ball. By today's rules, he would be tossed out of the league.

Lester Hayes had a horrible stuttering problem and wasn't known as being an egocentric big mouth.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:05 PM

33,889 posts, read 42,123,479 times
Mel Blount.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:39 AM

14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I think you might be confusing Lester Hayes with Jack Tatum. Tatum was a free safety for the Raiders at the same time and loved to call himself "the assassin". He was as dirty of a player as they come and was responsible for the infamous hit on Daryl Stingley that left him paralyzed. He just loved to hit a defenseless receiver in the head while he was looking for the ball. By today's rules, he would be tossed out of the league.

Lester Hayes had a horrible stuttering problem and wasn't known as being an egocentric big mouth.
Nope. Nothing to do with what I was saying.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eQC5WdnCX-sisw

Quote:
A couple years later, after Vance Johnson cut him downfield, Hayes went to the face on him too, leaving Johnson with an ugly eye that he said left him unable to see for more than half the game. Of course, Hayes had a “legitimate” explanation.
“I did not go for his eyes,” Hayes said. “I was actually trying to get a speck of dust off his eyebrow.
“Vance Johnson is telling an out-and-out lie. I am a gentle Texas A&M Aggie, and I would never gouge his eyes out. I am very fond of Vance Johnson. There is a pregame pact that states the receivers do not ‘cut’ me and I will not jam them in their face area. Vance did deliberately cut me with a very, very dangerous block. He went for my knee with his helmet, and I didn’t appreciate that.”
Whatever he said, or stuttered. In any case, I saw the play against Vance Johnson and he was gouging his eye out, not removing a spec of dust.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-04-2015 at 12:53 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 4,638,608 times
Quote:
Nope. Nothing to do with what I was saying.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eQC5WdnCX-sisw

Whatever he said, or stuttered. In any case, I saw the play against Vance Johnson and he was gouging his eye out, not removing a spec of dust.
Thanks for correcting me. It just sounded so much like a Jack Tatum thing. I had no idea Hayes was this way.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 AM

I would have never brought this up, but I had literally seen this play on the TV. It looked bad at the time, but I didn't know Vance was getting his eye gouged until I'd heard him say that.

I'd also heard of Hayes complaining about the refs all game long on a season opener in Denver where the Broncos had won 38-35. The newspaper sports caption showed Lester Hayes on it and said, "WE WUZ ROBBED!"

They wuznt robbed. The Raiders just got beat in typical fashion by a John Elway comeback.

Funny story about all this. I used to be a Raider fan prior to Elway coming to the Broncos. I was sick of Bronco Mania from the start, and with Elways cardiac efforts, started to slowly root for this team.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
- I was beating the drum on Harris back in 2011 and 2012 when some (including you, IIRC) were down on him and most others had no clue who he was.
Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Harris is #25, right? Yeah, he has gotten better. But I just remembered what angers me about him. On that last Vikings drive anyway.

But, that one is 100% on PFM. Could have gone to the half up 20-3. Instead, the game's up in the air with momentum to the Vikings.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 PM

4,983 posts, read 11,050,787 times
Quote:

Nice job, Bosco.

That out of the way, I'd like to give props to Mike Haynes as being a decent cb with stellar character. The only thing that stands out for me about Lester Hayes was watching him gouge the eyes out of a Bronco receiver while he was on the ground. He was a dirty punk who got away with a bunch of crap. Today, he would be benched. When commenting about the offense after the game, Lester was heard saying something to the effect, "Being that he was a fellow Texas Aggie, I was just removing a spec of dust that I saw in the corner of his eye." Nice legacy for him. That is what Lester Hayes was, an eye-gouging cheater. He needed stickum.

Louis Wright of the Broncos had exceptionally soft hands for a cb and would go down as my pick for most underrated of all time. It's my opinion or perhaps biased memory, but it seems to me that qbs often threw away from him.
Mike Haynes was a "decent" CB, faint praise for a man who is easily in top 10 all time and one of the few old timers who I think would still shine today.

He was Revis before Revis, fluid in out of breaks, sneaky fast, mirrored his man, great hips and anticipation, he could still thrive in this era of "touch" football for CB's while many of his All Time contemporaries relied on physicality that they would not be able to lean on today

Old 10-08-2015, 10:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 555,369 times
Not even close to be debatable....if it's a total lockdown corner, no one comes close to Deion. He would man up the other teams best receiver and say "I don't need any help". He covered him all over the field. Sherman is good, but when you know Chancellor and Thomas have your back, your job is easier. The only one close to Deion would be Revis

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,151,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Not even close to be debatable....if it's a total lockdown corner, no one comes close to Deion. He would man up the other teams best receiver and say "I don't need any help". He covered him all over the field. Sherman is good, but when you know Chancellor and Thomas have your back, your job is easier. The only one close to Deion would be Revis
I'd question anyone who doesn't at least put Bailey in the same group. He was better than Revis, no question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or