U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Reputation: 4507

Advertisements

So I just got involved in a debate where I'm told Revis is the GOAT corner. I've also heard all my life Deion is the GOAT, I'm too young to have saw him and Rod Woodson in their primes...

I started watching football in '99 when I was 10. I will say Revis is probably the SECOND best of the 16 years I've watched football, and I don't say that lightly. He legitimately could play another 8-10 years and has a real shot at being better than all his predecessors....

But the best cornerback I've witnessed in the last 16 years? Charles Woodson! Truly, if he isn't the GOAT, he's gotta be Top 5 by now. That man was something to watch for a long, long, time. He had legendary match ups against Moss, Owens, Harrison...physically, there was nothing he couldn't do. He was a phenomenal blitzer, could play man to man, could play zone, rarely missed assignments. His ball skills were legendary, he was a crisp tackler, I just never saw a real weakness in his game in his prime. He separated himself from the others of his era--Law, Bailey, Barber, etc...what separates Revis (at this time) is that Charles Woodson had far superior ball skills. Also, Charles was a supreme matchup problem you could line up anywhere. Other than that, Revis is very close, because his skills are superior everywhere else....

As for the corners of this generation (2010 to now), EVERYBODY else is either overrated or their game isn't matured yet. Sherman, Peterson--both skilled and very good, both overrated. Norman (Carolina) can potentially be great, but he isn't there yet. Cromartie is actually pretty good. But Revis is most definitely a once a generation corner, he's several levels above the rest of this era...

Anyway, my interest is because I played corner in junior high and high school. I'm younger though, so id like to know who you guys seem the best corners, both today and all time? Where do you put Charles Woodson? And why do you rank the guys how you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33552
Dick "Night Train" Lane, dude could still probably play today, if he wasn't 88 years old and been dead for 13 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,566 posts, read 10,283,969 times
Reputation: 9827
Most folks nowadays will say Richard Sherman's the best corner currently playing, but for my money Chris Harris is way more versatile. Harris can roam all over the defensive backfield - inside or outside, it doesn't matter. Sherman, OTOH, is almost exclusively outside.

Harris has definitely outperformed his college pedigree. Stanford was back in the national spotlight when Sherman played there, but Harris played his college ball in football purgatory at Kansas and came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent.

Best of all time? Good question. Probably Rod Woodson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
Reputation: 7456
Top Dawg Hanford Dixon and Frank Minniefield were listed as the #2 cornerback tandem on NFL Network's Top 10 behind the Raiders Haines and Hayes. In 1987 it was said that Hanford Dixon had only 7 passes thrown in his direction. Truly one of the best.

PS. Hey Joe Haden.... take notes and watch highlights on Top Dawg on how NOT to give up the big play!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,470 posts, read 5,937,726 times
Reputation: 16170
No question Haines and Hayes were the top tandem. Hate to say it but deion was the best cover corner I ever saw. As a Redskins fan Darrell Green was always my favorite player and belong on the short list, just not at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,179 posts, read 4,643,924 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No question Haines and Hayes were the top tandem. Hate to say it but deion was the best cover corner I ever saw. As a Redskins fan Darrell Green was always my favorite player and belong on the short list, just not at the top.
Ditto on your post. The best individual corners ever have to be Green and Deion Sanders. They made a defensive coordinator's job easy. Put Green or Sanders one on one with the other teams best receiver and start defending the rest of their team. No need to consider any double coverage with those guys stuck like glue on their guy.

Darrell Green for almost a decade was considered the fastest player in the NFL.

Haines and Hayes were the best pair playing at the same time. NO ONE wanted to be hand-checked by Lester Hayes during those days after he gooped his hands with all that stickem. Good thing the NFL enacted the Hayes Rule where that stuff was outlawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Reputation: 4507
Okay, what about Charles Woodson? I've watched his whole career, and he NEVER needed help or double coverage in his prime. He was that good, and as I already said, he was a matchup nightmare, he would line up in the slot or outside, he took any receiver. His cover skills are as good as anyone I've seen besides Revis, so how would you all compare him with Green, Deion, or the Raiders duo?

Haden is a good corner, but he does seem to have brain lapses. I think Richard Sherman talked his way into the conversation for best corner. He absolutely isn't as skilled as Revis. I think it works to his advantage that he has played in such a tremendously skilled secondary, it's alleviated the pressure he'd have to face if he had to be the lone anchor of the unit (like Revis has done, like Charles Woodson did earlier in his career, like Bailey, Law, etc). Quinn and the Seahawks defensive coaches are masterminds. They know he isn't strong enough to defend a number one wideout all game long, week in/week out. He's not a great tackler, he also isn't strong in zone coverage. He is a good corner, but he looks better than he really is because he's had two nightmare safeties and good nickel corners backing him up his entire career. He has a long way to go to even enter a GOAT conversation...

Revis is the only corner back of this era who has already worked himself onto a best-ever list. Haden, Talib, Peterson, Revis is a far better football player than any of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:55 PM
 
1,754 posts, read 2,081,520 times
Reputation: 3664
Darrell Green or Rod Woodson.

Honorable mention to Aeneas Williams, as he wasted away in Arizona most of his career. Nobody EVER threw his way, but some of it was due to the string of lousy second corners they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,938 posts, read 19,163,377 times
Reputation: 9170
In modern football, there isn't a corner in the game who played better than Champ Bailey in 2005 and 2006. He was simply on a another level during that two year stretch in a Hall of Fame career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Most folks nowadays will say Richard Sherman's the best corner currently playing, but for my money Chris Harris is way more versatile. Harris can roam all over the defensive backfield - inside or outside, it doesn't matter. Sherman, OTOH, is almost exclusively outside.

Harris has definitely outperformed his college pedigree. Stanford was back in the national spotlight when Sherman played there, but Harris played his college ball in football purgatory at Kansas and came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent.
Harris is a stud. He is one of those guys who didn't have great measurables but understands the mental aspect of the game far above most of his peers. Talib is also proving to be elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Okay, what about Charles Woodson? I've watched his whole career, and he NEVER needed help or double coverage in his prime. He was that good, and as I already said, he was a matchup nightmare, he would line up in the slot or outside, he took any receiver. His cover skills are as good as anyone I've seen besides Revis, so how would you all compare him with Green, Deion, or the Raiders duo?
Woodson was good but I never really considered him the top in the game at any point in his career. Ironically enough I thought his relative level of play was better as a safety than as a corner.

Quote:
Haden is a good corner, but he does seem to have brain lapses. I think Richard Sherman talked his way into the conversation for best corner. He absolutely isn't as skilled as Revis. I think it works to his advantage that he has played in such a tremendously skilled secondary, it's alleviated the pressure he'd have to face if he had to be the lone anchor of the unit (like Revis has done, like Charles Woodson did earlier in his career, like Bailey, Law, etc). Quinn and the Seahawks defensive coaches are masterminds. They know he isn't strong enough to defend a number one wideout all game long, week in/week out. He's not a great tackler, he also isn't strong in zone coverage. He is a good corner, but he looks better than he really is because he's had two nightmare safeties and good nickel corners backing him up his entire career. He has a long way to go to even enter a GOAT conversation...
Sherman is good, but I think he's shown himself this season to not be in that truly elite category. He has a couple marks against him in that regard.

- Plays little to no man coverage.

- Plays in an ultra-simplistic Cover 3 scheme with two great safeties behind him. He has the luxury of playing in a very aggressive manner because Chancellor and Thomas can clean up any mistakes in the seams and over the top, respectively.

Not having Chancellor for the early part of the year and Thomas not being 100%, Sherman has had to play more disciplined and does not look nearly as good as he did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 01:58 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,586 posts, read 22,434,680 times
Reputation: 13877
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
In modern football, there isn't a corner in the game who played better than Champ Bailey in 2005 and 2006. He was simply on a another level during that two year stretch in a Hall of Fame career.



Harris is a stud. He is one of those guys who didn't have great measurables but understands the mental aspect of the game far above most of his peers. Talib is also proving to be elite.

Woodson was good but ...

Sherman is good, but ...
Wow. Your Denver Bronco Homerism is bodaciously vociferous.

Nice job, Bosco.

That out of the way, I'd like to give props to Mike Haynes as being a decent cb with stellar character. The only thing that stands out for me about Lester Hayes was watching him gouge the eyes out of a Bronco receiver while he was on the ground. He was a dirty punk who got away with a bunch of crap. Today, he would be benched. When commenting about the offense after the game, Lester was heard saying something to the effect, "Being that he was a fellow Texas Aggie, I was just removing a spec of dust that I saw in the corner of his eye." Nice legacy for him. That is what Lester Hayes was, an eye-gouging cheater. He needed stickum.

Louis Wright of the Broncos had exceptionally soft hands for a cb and would go down as my pick for most underrated of all time. It's my opinion or perhaps biased memory, but it seems to me that qbs often threw away from him.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-03-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top