Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 PM

6,381 posts, read 4,886,948 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the 50's and I remember watching football and the game took 2 hours and that was it. Now it's minimum 3 hours and frequently more. It's torture watching all those commercials and it ruins the continuity of the game for me. I also dislike all that showboating after making a sack or run stop I don't mind the end zone dances. The only solution is DVRing the game and fast forwarding through the commercials and not looking at your TV or computer for fear of seeing the final score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 05:45 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,856,165 times
If you can wait to watch a game after it's over, there's NFL Game Pass. Watch condensed games in 30 min. No commercials or the in between play stuff. You can also watch games in their entirety (with all the in between play stuff). You can rewind, fast forward, or just click around on the plays list to only watch the big plays.
http://www.cutcabletoday.com/nfl-game-pass/

Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 PM

11,235 posts, read 11,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I grew up in the 50's and I remember watching football and the game took 2 hours and that was it. Now it's minimum 3 hours and frequently more. It's torture watching all those commercials and it ruins the continuity of the game for me. I also dislike all that showboating after making a sack or run stop I don't mind the end zone dances. The only solution is DVRing the game and fast forwarding through the commercials and not looking at your TV or computer for fear of seeing the final score.
Sadly, in the modern world of multi million dollar marketing campaigns, businesses that garner profits from gaming based on self-serving fantasy stats over collective team efforts, and spoiled players who make over $200,000+ per game, not much more should be expected.

Last edited by ditchlights; 10-18-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,269,287 times
I like long games. It's been the same length as long as I can remember. I actually prefer the commercials over the NFL logo you get when you use directv to watch the games. No problems here. I wish they'd offer the games for free advertising supported online so I wouldn't have to use a streaming service to view them though... I guess they know what makes them more money.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,604,412 times
Quote:

Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 PM

6,403 posts, read 8,975,059 times
NFL should limit the commercials but charge more for the time. I don't think they'd struggle to fine advertisers. Soccer games have commercials at half-time. I think the NFL can make due with only breaks after each quarter.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:30 PM

11,235 posts, read 11,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
NFL should limit the commercials but charge more for the time. I don't think they'd struggle to fine advertisers. Soccer games have commercials at half-time. I think the NFL can make due with only breaks after each quarter.
This is a main reason why I love watching hockey so much. They break for commercials about 3 times a period (if that). Football seems to break about 8+ times a quarter in comparison (over a 3-1 differential in time wasted). As far as rating popularity goes, I guess it is what it is....

Old 10-18-2015, 06:33 PM

6,403 posts, read 8,975,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This is a main reason why I love watching hockey so much. They break for commercials about 3 times a period (if that). Football seems to break about 8+ times a quarter in comparison (over a 3-1 differential in time wasted). As far as rating popularity goes, I guess it is what it is....
There's commercial timeouts in hockey too but at least they do something useful with the time (cleaning the ice). I don't see the need for a commercial break after a punt.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,369,416 times
Quote:
I can relate. I hate the commercials too. They're all so stupid, and seem geared for a teenage audience. I don't care for the buffoonery either by players on the field. Those players don't realize that it makes them look like fools, IMO.

I love watching football though, so I tolerate this other stuff.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,242,397 times
Quote:
Recall Baltimore Colt home games starting at 2:05 and ending at 4:20. You could set your watch by them. Not only in the 50s but at least into the mid-60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football