U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 AM

224 posts, read 218,181 times

Advertisements

The most memorable on-field fights I saw during live broadcasts were:

1. Rams at Jets, 1983--Ram offensive tackle Jackie Slater took offense to Jet defensive end Mark Gastineau doing his famous sack dance after he had sacked Vince Ferragamo and shoved Gastineau from behind. Jet defensive tackle Marty Lyons then shoved Slater in turn and the battle was on. Gastineau had five or six Rams come after him and before long both benches poured onto the field.

2. Cardinals at Bears, 1986 preseason--after a tackle in an already hostility-filled ballgame, a Cardinal defender stepped on the man whom he had tackled. Bear offensive tackle Doug Van Horne rushed over and knocked the Cardinal down. Van Horne's momentum took him right into the Cardinal sideline, where he had ten Cardinals ganging up on him. The Bears rushed onto the field while three or four Cardinals punched and kicked another Bear, tight end Pat Dunsmore, behind the St. Louis bench.

3. Redskins at Cowboys, 1984--during the game's closing seconds, Dallas defensive back Ron Fellows blindsided Washington quarterback Joe Theismann after Theismann had taken a knee. That also brought both benches onto the field.

4. Jets at Raiders, 1982 playoffs--Raider defensive end Lyle Alzado wrestled Jet tackle Chris Ward's helmet off, then hurled it at Ward's head. Fortunately, Alzado missed.

5. Raiders at Chiefs, 1986--several members of the Raider defense and Chief offense went at it after a couple of plays.

Some I have only seen the NFL Films' versions of:

1970 Raiders at Chiefs--late in the game, Kansas City quarterback Len Dawson bootlegged around right end for a 30-yard game. After Dawson was tripped up, Oakland defensive end Ben Davidson came flying downfield and dove headfirst into Dawson's back. Chief receiver Otis Taylor then attacked Davidson, igniting a wild melee in old Municipal Stadium (where the Chiefs played until Arrowhead Stadium opened up in 1972).

1966 Lions at Vikings--after a pileup, several members of the Viking defense and the Lion offense suddenly began throwing haymakers at each other.

1975 Steelers at Browns--Pittsburgh defensive tackle "Mean" Joe Greene got tired of Cleveland lineman Bob McKay holding him, so Greene kicked McKay in the groin a time or two before the rest of the Brown offensive line dogpiled Greene and the rest of the Steeler defense joined in as well. (Greene also punched two Denver Bronco linemen in the course of three plays in a 1977 AFC Divisional Playoff game at Denver, sparking a near-brawl at halftime between Denver head coach Red Miller and Steeler defensive coach George Perles.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
I loved watching Andre Johnson beat the living **** out of Cortland Finnegan in 2010. Finnegan long deserved that.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:04 AM

5,221 posts, read 5,085,438 times
Not exactly a fight, but still pretty unforgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I

Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,534,754 times
I've seen so few fights, I can't remember even one of them.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,162 times
Super Bowl 49, Seahawks Patriots were fighting at the tail end of the game and Bruce Williswas tossed from the game.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,499,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
4. Jets at Raiders, 1982 playoffs--Raider defensive end Lyle Alzado wrestled Jet tackle Chris Ward's helmet off, then hurled it at Ward's head. Fortunately, Alzado missed.

Alzado was seriously roided up at that time.

In the 1950s, when the 49ers came to Baltimore, there was always a war. I recall when 5'4" Buddy Young jumped on the back of 6'9" Bob St. Clair like a kid hopping on a horse. St. Clair threw him to the ground and went after Bill Pellington.

Bears and Packers in the early 60s. Doug Atkins picked up 250 lb. Forest Gregg and flung him through the air like he was tossing a Frisbee but with two hands.

And then in the 50s when the Chi. Cards would visit Wrigley Field. For some unknown reason, the steps allowed fans to access the field and there was always a brawl, with the fans attacking the Cardinals for the most part, although there were also Cardinal fans attacking the Bears. Used to watch these replays on Thursday evenings when an NFL highlight film was shown from games of the previous Sunday. So cool.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM

6,868 posts, read 3,941,695 times
Maybe not a fight, but Lambert lambasted Cliff Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZalcX_8ZpE

Old 12-13-2016, 01:06 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Maybe not a fight, but Lambert lambasted Cliff Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZalcX_8ZpE
I remember this.. it would be flagged today.... have heard some Steelers say this turned the momentum of the game.. but i don't remember it that way. I think this missed FG was mid way through the 3rd qtr... i think the Safety that happened early in the 4th quarter turned the momentum.. The Steelers scored on their next 3 possessions after they got the safety.. that turned the momentum...

Old 12-13-2016, 06:11 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
My number one would definitely be the L.A. Rams vs. Gastineau. That Rams team was tight. They weren't going to let Gastineau get away with pulling that stuff with Ferragamo at QB. Those guys were joined at the hip.

As an aside....About that same time I was in a department store and Jackie Slater was at a jewelry counter looking at fine jewelry. As I walked by he said, "Excuse me, but I need a woman's opinion. I'm looking for a gift for my wife. Which piece do you like?" I knew who he was and resisted saying, "You can afford the whole case, Jackie." I pointed at one of the rings the clerk was showing him and said, "That one. It's the most elegant." He agreed and thanked me for helping him. A nice, nice man. That team was full of good guys.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 PM

4,977 posts, read 11,039,976 times
My favorite was when Matt Millen punched Pat's GM Pat Sullivan....

Even as a life time Pats fan I couldn't stand Sullivan either.....

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...mi2aww4jpg.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or