Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst QBs ever?
JaMarcus Russell 8 33.33%
Tim Tebow 2 8.33%
Johnny Manziel 6 25.00%
Brandon Weeden 1 4.17%
Ryan Leaf 9 37.50%
Heath Shuler 1 4.17%
John Beck 0 0%
Todd Blackledge 0 0%
Dan McGwire 1 4.17%
Spergon Wynn 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

here's a good place to see the long list of inept QBs by season.. Certainly doesn't make everyone on here in the running for worst ever, but..

Worst Passer Ratings In Every Year Since the Merger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM

380 posts, read 430,926 times
That 1992 Seahawks team was historically bad on offense, but their defense was actually half decent.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:46 PM

73 posts, read 85,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Right now I have to go with Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez. They are just terrible. Kaepernick is awful; he looked miserable at Pittsburgh and at Arizona. Many would say Tim Tebow. He is just as awful as Kaepernick. Throws more bad throws than good throws compared to Favre. Johnny Manziel is not that great either but he's better than Tebow. Other honors, past and present, include RG3 (only good as a rookie), Matthew Stafford, Brandon Weeden, Jay Cutler (he acts like a crybaby), Josh Freeman, Kerri Collins, Vince Young, the McCown brothers, Kyle Orton, Blaine Gabbertt, and Matt Schaub.

ok, so, Tebow is not even in the nfl anymore.

you really are including Matt Stafford on a list of worst ever QBs? Wow. what universe dfo you live in? LOL. he shows sings of brilliance and has put ups some huge numbers. And remember who he plays for.

Manziel is too young to put on any list. when you say worst ever qb's they should be guys who have had a whole career, or are at the end of it. just to be fair. but it's your thread.

Kaepernick began great. Huge raw talent. but he is undisciplined. reminds me of some of those crazy physically gifted black qbs from the past. inconsistent. but he might improve his mental game and still be a solid nfl qb. remember he is only in his 3rd year.

McCown? LOL. I guess you didnt hear he threw for almost 500 yards a couple weeks ago and set an ALL-TIME record for one of the oldest franchises in the nfl.

as far as biggest busts: I'll give you Vince Young. I will add: Ryan Leaf; Todd Marinovich, and Jamarcus Russel. With Russel being the biggest bust at ANY position in the history of the NFL.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:46 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
[quote=rbohm;41728441]i disagree, archie mannings numbers are not that bad considering the lousy teams he was on.

Archie Manning NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

/quote]

rbohm is right. A few notes about the New Orleans Saints in the 1970's.

Tom Fears, J,D. Roberts, John North, Ernie Hefferle, Hank Stram, Dick Nolan, Dick Stanfel are the New Orleans Saints head coaches from Archie Manning's years with the Saints franchise (1970 to 1980) That's seven head coaches in eleven years. A revolving door if ever there was one. The Oakland Raiders are the only club I can think of now who could compare to that sort of stat. And it is the sort of stat that NO quarterback can survive, much less realize his potential. Their combined record during those years? 55-142.

I don't zero in on quarterback ratings that much for this reason. In 1979 for the first time in Saints history they did not have a losing season, finishing 8-8. I saw Archie in that season, week 10. Broncos beat the Saints 10-3. Chuck Muncie had been with the Saints for three years and he had a breakout season that year, gaining 1198 yards. And Archie had a great WR to throw to--Wes Chandler. In 1979 Manning's stats were 252/420 for 3169 yards. QB rating was 75.6. Manning, Muncie, and Chandler all went to the pro bowl that year.

In 1980 Muncie had a variety of problems; conflicts with coaches, being late to practice, and----cocaine issues. He had fought the cocaine issue for some time. After a 0-4 start Head coach Dick Nolan traded him to San Diego where he thrived in Don Coryell's system. As did Wes Chandler in 1981, going to San Diego because of John Jefferson's status with the Chargers. And a complete unraveling occurred later. New Orleans lost and lost and lost. And by week 13 or so the Monday Night Game with the Los Angeles Rams started a whole new thing--bags over the fans heads. Where there was promise after the 1979 season there was disciplinary problems, chaos, embarrassment, and flat out humiliation under Dick Nolan's leadership. He was fired after that gawdawful game. He never coached in the NFL again. Sad.

Speaking of sad, the look on Archie Manning's face you could describe as beyond sad as the game wound down. Manning's qb numbers that year? 309/509 for 3716 yards. QB rating was 81.6.

Through Manning's Saints career I would be hard pressed to name ONE Saints player to be an all pro or a pro bowler other than Muncie or Chandler in 1979. That's ten years of no elite players-ten years.

Seven coaches in ten years. I thought about googling in a list of New Orleans Saints general managers but I don't really feel the need to do THAT! Manning needed a supporting cast on offense, except for 1979 he never had one. He needed continuity with a coaching staff with a plan for success, he never had one. He needed a top offensive line, he never had one.

By 1981 he was shipped off to Houston for an offensive lineman, Leon Gray. I would call that an abandonment. Gray was a fine offensive tackle, what Manning needed WAS Gray, instead he was traded for Gray. His last couple years with the Oilers and later the Vikings, well, if he could have done it all over again he would have just retired after 1980. IMO anyway.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
[quote=DOUBLE H;41739867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i disagree, archie mannings numbers are not that bad considering the lousy teams he was on.

Archie Manning NFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

/quote]

rbohm is right. A few notes about the New Orleans Saints in the 1970's.

Tom Fears, J,D. Roberts, John North, Ernie Hefferle, Hank Stram, Dick Nolan, Dick Stanfel are the New Orleans Saints head coaches from Archie Manning's years with the Saints franchise (1970 to 1980) That's seven head coaches in eleven years. A revolving door if ever there was one. The Oakland Raiders are the only club I can think of now who could compare to that sort of stat. And it is the sort of stat that NO quarterback can survive, much less realize his potential. Their combined record during those years? 55-142.

I don't zero in on quarterback ratings that much for this reason. In 1979 for the first time in Saints history they did not have a losing season, finishing 8-8. I saw Archie in that season, week 10. Broncos beat the Saints 10-3. Chuck Muncie had been with the Saints for three years and he had a breakout season that year, gaining 1198 yards. And Archie had a great WR to throw to--Wes Chandler. In 1979 Manning's stats were 252/420 for 3169 yards. QB rating was 75.6. Manning, Muncie, and Chandler all went to the pro bowl that year.

In 1980 Muncie had a variety of problems; conflicts with coaches, being late to practice, and----cocaine issues. He had fought the cocaine issue for some time. After a 0-4 start Head coach Dick Nolan traded him to San Diego where he thrived in Don Coryell's system. As did Wes Chandler in 1981, going to San Diego because of John Jefferson's status with the Chargers. And a complete unraveling occurred later. New Orleans lost and lost and lost. And by week 13 or so the Monday Night Game with the Los Angeles Rams started a whole new thing--bags over the fans heads. Where there was promise after the 1979 season there was disciplinary problems, chaos, embarrassment, and flat out humiliation under Dick Nolan's leadership. He was fired after that gawdawful game. He never coached in the NFL again. Sad.

Speaking of sad, the look on Archie Manning's face you could describe as beyond sad as the game wound down. Manning's qb numbers that year? 309/509 for 3716 yards. QB rating was 81.6.

Through Manning's Saints career I would be hard pressed to name ONE Saints player to be an all pro or a pro bowler other than Muncie or Chandler in 1979. That's ten years of no elite players-ten years.

Seven coaches in ten years. I thought about googling in a list of New Orleans Saints general managers but I don't really feel the need to do THAT! Manning needed a supporting cast on offense, except for 1979 he never had one. He needed continuity with a coaching staff with a plan for success, he never had one. He needed a top offensive line, he never had one.

By 1981 he was shipped off to Houston for an offensive lineman, Leon Gray. I would call that an abandonment. Gray was a fine offensive tackle, what Manning needed WAS Gray, instead he was traded for Gray. His last couple years with the Oilers and later the Vikings, well, if he could have done it all over again he would have just retired after 1980. IMO anyway.
nice that a couple of you stepped in to tell it like it really is...Archie Manning was a stud! back with New Orleans, dude was continually ranked among the best QBs playing and we all knew he spent 10 years with the greatest long-term collection of mutts ever assembled for that long in one place. Remember when the Vikings got him and The Ghost in one trade after Tommy Kramer went down. They played the Bears (I think during the Bears Super Bowl run) and in one game took the worst beating I've ever seen a QB take, but he kept dragging himself up over and over again. I think he was sacked 11 times in that game. Anybody who calls this guy a bad quarterback is young and stupid but mostly stupid.

can't believe they had this, you don't have to watch the whole thing...you can just randomly click on any spot and see Arch get buried into the turf at Soldier Field again. If you start it at about 25 minutes you'll see a particularly cringe-worthy sequence. Plus you can catch who actually was the worst coach ever.

this retirement viedo is worth watching just to see the pretty ball that Archie through even late in his career...a lot like Marino's. Plus, you get to hear/see Dan Akroyd doing his Jimmy Carter impersonation as the narrator and see Peyton when he was about 10.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Curtis Painter.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM

380 posts, read 430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If you start it at about 25 minutes you'll see a particularly cringe-worthy sequence. Plus you can catch who actually was the worst coach ever.
Is his name Les Steckel?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 AM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I still have nightmares of Spergon Wynn starting for the Toronto Argonauts in 2006.
Ah Wynn one of those quarterbacks people forget about drafted before #199 that year.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Is his name Les Steckel?
that's the guy

Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Is his name Les Steckel?
Broncos played the Vikings in 1984, I remember Steckel. Bud Grant had retired after an illustrious career as the Vikings head coach. Steckel ran the Vikings right into the ditch, going 3-13. Grant was talked into coming back at least for one season to get the club back on track, which he did. He went 8-8 in 1985. I've always liked Grant.

My vote is definitely Ryan Leaf. He came into San Diego in 1998 with an obnoxious attitude about him and things got testier by the day in Chargers training camp. He mixed it up with sportswriters first, then his own teammates next. He got dispatched to Tampa Bay, then Dallas, and was cut by Seattle in 2002 I believe. After 5 years he was out of the league altogether.

Then his REAL problems started, got involved with substance abuse big time. Then burglary, amongst other things. He had served prison terms two different times IIRC, the most recent was in Montana and was released to halfway house status last December. Pretty sad story.

No one fell so hard after having so much promise than Ryan Leaf. IMO anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football