Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:37 AM

483 posts, read 665,661 times

Advertisements

Dean Blandino, Supervisor of NFL Officiating, said after the game that it was absolutely the correct call, no question.

The bigger issue is why a Lions player would be so dumb (other than the fact that he is a Lions player) as to even attempt to make a play like that, knowing Rodgers had nobody behind him to lateral the ball to. All he had to do was just bring him down normally. Game over. But, being the Lions player that he is, he made a dumb play.

You can argue the face mask all you want...go ahead, it doesn't matter. But you can't dispute the fact that his thumb went through Rodgers' facemask. Nowadays, any time you touch a QB's helmet, you're going to get called. And answer this...if he didn't touch his face mask or helmet, how did his helmet get twisted sideways and have the chin strap practically up to his nose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wildest ending I can ever remember. The face mask looked obvious live but on close up it should have been 5 yards, he definately grabbed it but spun Rogers down by the shoulder.
I agree live it looked like a face mask penalty so that is why the ref called it. I disagree that he grabbed the facemask at all. At worst the defender touched the facemask with an open finger or thumb, no grab, you can't grab anything with an open digit. The grab was on the shoulder pad.

Bad call, but you can understand why the ref would make the call in live action. We have seen quite a few poor calls like this on penalties. Not sure there is really a good solution unless you open up the possibility of coaches being able to challenge penalities. IMO, penalties should be challengable, but I would limit it to called penalties, not a coach challenging that a penalty should have been called.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I thought the Packers were going to win the game, even before the game started. Surprised that it took such a desperate play to pull it off.

GB has surprised me this year. I thought they were one of the few teams who had a chance to go undefeated.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Nowadays, any time you touch a QB's helmet, you're going to get called. And answer this...if he didn't touch his face mask or helmet, how did his helmet get twisted sideways and have the chin strap practically up to his nose?
Rodger's was a runner. Pretty sure none of those inside the pocket protections applied in that situation. As for what you say you saw with the helmet and chin strap, watch the replay slowly, the helmet and chin strap look normal all the way through the grab of the shoulder pad. So I am not sure what you are talking about. If they were disjarred it would have most likely been from the impact of hitting the ground then. Pretty common.

Again, at worst a thumb touches a facemask, but it is hard to tell. No grab of anything until the entire hand is on the shoulder pad.

I have no dog in this fight, just telling it as i see it.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 AM

You can argue this all you want. I really don't care if anyone thinks the call was accurate or not. Again, the Supervisor of Officials maintains it was a correct call. (I have seen him come out after other games and admit the officials blew a call...not this time. Case closed.)

Bottom line is, Packers won. Maybe this is karma for the playoff game in Arizona a couple years ago when Rodgers blatantly practically had his helmet ripped off his head on the deciding pick six for the Cardinals.

Again, game over. Packers won. On to the Playoffs...

Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
You can argue this all you want. I really don't care if anyone thinks the call was accurate or not. Again, the Supervisor of Officials maintains it was a correct call. (I have seen him come out after other games and admit the officials blew a call...not this time. Case closed.)

Bottom line is, Packers won. Maybe this is karma for the playoff game in Arizona a couple years ago when Rodgers blatantly practically had his helmet ripped off his head on the deciding pick six for the Cardinals.

Again, game over. Packers won. On to the Playoffs...
Cool. Just don't choke this time.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Wildest ending I can ever remember. The face mask looked obvious live but on close up it should have been 5 yards, he definately grabbed it but spun Rogers down by the shoulder. But after the earlier pass interference call was missed a few plays earlier I don't see where the Lions have much to complain about.

That final sequence literally had it all, the razzle dazzle multi- lateral play that never works in the NFL followed by the oh so common 70 yard pass and Hail Mary completion.
Are you saying it should have just been a five yard facemask? If so, the NFL doesn't have 5 yard face mask penalties anymore. All facemask penalties are now automatic 15 yarders.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I get what media is saying today, plus fans, however, Lions kept GB from scoring through 2 quarters, what happened?

Cobb falls on a Starks fumble for a TD, Adams gets his 1st TD he has been shaky, and the QB runs in for a TD, where was the "D" then the biggest mistake, no tall guys on the Hail Mary, what was up? Caldwell says he didn't think they were going to go for a Hail Mary? What? Lions fans will point to one play, call, however, you let Packers back in the game.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Cool. Just don't choke this time.
Can't argue with you on that one. I'm hoping they can get past one and done...but with the injuries, it's unlikely.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I get what media is saying today, plus fans, however, Lions kept GB from scoring through 2 quarters, what happened?

Cobb falls on a Starks fumble for a TD, Adams gets his 1st TD he has been shaky, and the QB runs in for a TD, where was the "D" then the biggest mistake, no tall guys on the Hail Mary, what was up? Caldwell says he didn't think they were going to go for a Hail Mary? What? Lions fans will point to one play, call, however, you let Packers back in the game.
Correct.

The officials didn't blow a 20 point lead. That would be the Lions who did that. If they would have played not to lose in the second half, it never would have come down to that finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football