U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
84 posts, read 327,948 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Yep no offense Kanni, but that sounds like a jumper to me. I know a ton of people that once Jordan left, no one watched the Bulls anymore. Or if their team is losing, than screw the team I am not watching them, but as soon as they start winning, they have loved that team forever.
There is a difference between being a fan of a team and a fan of a franchise. And I think a lot of people got it twisted.

Let me ask you this. Maybe you will agree. Are the BULLS from the 70's the same as the BULLS from the 90's or now? What about Lakers? Or Dolphins or 49'ers?! Do they play the same? If yes, why? If not, why?

What makes up a team as a team that you or everyone have come to like? The team name? The mascot? The colors? The owners? The execs? The coaches? The players? The plays? The calls made? What?

Do you agree that each team is unique because of players' playing style and coaches' decisions? Or what makes a team unique?

So what are you? A fan of a team or a fan of a franchise?



Quote:
And all you Colts fans remember, it was a Manning that beat the Patriots, but it wasn't Peyton. He was sitting up in a box watching the Super Bowl. So I wouldn't be cheering to loud.
sooo.....your point is....???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,839 times
Reputation: 482
Ok, I will take the second question first. It seems like there are a lot of Indy fans cheering like Peyton won the Super Bowl. Just making it clear that Eli did.

Now IMO, if you are a fan of a certain team, you are with them through thick and thin. So to answer the question the way you worded it, I would say I am a fan of the franchise. Anyone can be a fan of a team when they are winning, or when they have a star player like Jordan with the Bulls, or franchise players like Peyton, Sanders, Freeney, Harrison etc. with the Colts.

I am a Cubs fan so I know all about disappointment, and I didn't get up to the Chicago area til '87, just a little late of the '85 Bears. But with being a fan, I have seen every game of that '85 season as well as tape of when Butkus played and so on. I think it was Interpol that referred to (sorry if I am wrong) that American fans are known for jumping on and off bandwagons and I agree. If you are a fan, then I think you should go all out. Or maybe I just follow sports way too much, well I know my wife agrees to that. Like I said no offense, it's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
84 posts, read 327,948 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Ok, I will take the second question first. It seems like there are a lot of Indy fans cheering like Peyton won the Super Bowl. Just making it clear that Eli did.
And no one would take that away from Eli. If you read my other posts, I actually gave Eli a lot of props. And NOT Peyton.


Quote:
Now IMO, if you are a fan of a certain team, you are with them through thick and thin. So to answer the question the way you worded it, I would say I am a fan of the franchise. Anyone can be a fan of a team when they are winning, or when they have a star player like Jordan with the Bulls, or franchise players like Peyton, Sanders, Freeney, Harrison etc. with the Colts.

I am a Cubs fan so I know all about disappointment, and I didn't get up to the Chicago area til '87, just a little late of the '85 Bears. But with being a fan, I have seen every game of that '85 season as well as tape of when Butkus played and so on. I think it was Interpol that referred to (sorry if I am wrong) that American fans are known for jumping on and off bandwagons and I agree. If you are a fan, then I think you should go all out. Or maybe I just follow sports way too much, well I know my wife agrees to that. Like I said no offense, it's just my opinion.
Every team is unique because of their players and coaches which means every team plays differently because of their players' abilities /specialties and coaches' strategic skills. Wouldn't you agree?
With every different player and every different coach, a new team is established, right?



We have established that every team is unique because of their set of different players and coaches, correct?

The Dolphins from the 70's are different from the Dolphins from 2007 because they have different players and coaches, right? So it means that the Dolphins from the 70's is a whole different team from the one from 2007, correct? Basically, the Dolphins from 2007 is a new team under the same franchise name 'Dolphins'.

Your qualification for a 'fan' is someone who is a franchise's fan, not a fan of a team Someone who would still stick with a franchise 10-20 years from now, no matter who the players are. That would usually happen only if someone was born or has lived in that specific state for a long time and therefore, is a fan by default.

For the rest of us, we have to be inspired by a certain game(s) or player(s). We, then usually, become a fan of a team that has inspired us. But the make-up of the team has changed, it is not the same team that we had come to like anymore because the new make-up is a whole new other team that just happens to play under the same franchise name.

To me, a franchise name is not what makes a team, but the players and the coaches. Those are the ones I'd give my respect and therefore, my loyalty to.

Being that I didn't move to the States til 2001, I didn't get an opportunity to watch or enjoy football as I do today. So in my case, I have been with the COLTS from the 'start'.

I, too, as a colts fan, have been through disappointments years after years after years until we won the Super Bowl. Right after that, we had a terrible season because our starters were/are injured AND we lost to the Chargers Because of that we lost our chance to go to the Super Bowl. If you don't call that 'disappointment', you should create a new word for how I felt. Yet, you don't see me turning my back away from the COLTS and hang up my jerseys in the closet until we have the next victory again.

I guess I am a proud bandwagon jumper of Indianapolis COLTS.

Last edited by KanniJay; 02-04-2008 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,839 times
Reputation: 482
Where did you come from if you don't mind me asking? But you did say, if I am not mistaking that when Peyton and Sanders left, you would stop watching. The way I see what you are saying is once the good players leave, you are gone. I think after a while though, you will become hooked and follow the Colts regardless. Teams have a way of doing that to you.

For instance with the Bears, they are known for running the ball and great defense. It has been their motto forever, through a lot of different players and coaches. So the style of play hasn't changed. Even though nowadays I would argure that, IMO, the Bears should go to a passing style offense with the talent they have. And yes I know a QB needs to get them the ball but Orton COULD be the answer. Lovie has to stop saying that they are a team that is "running as soon as they get off the bus." Use the talent you have, all those WRs, TEs, and Wolfe in the backfield, sorry about that.

Anyway, but if you look at the game. Historically the NFC (NFL) has always been a more run oriented, great defense division and it still holds true for the most part. And with the AFC (AFL) was known for airing the ball out, high scoring, trick plays etc. kinda holds true to that as well. So you cannot discard that past completely. And yes I know there are some exceptions. (Ravens in the AFC, Seattle NFC etc.)

But yes, I do know what you mean. But give it more time, I am sure by how much you like the Colts, you will be following them long after Peyton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
84 posts, read 327,948 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Where did you come from if you don't mind me asking?
I was born in Thailand, but I grew up for the most part in Germany.

Quote:
But you did say, if I am not mistaking that when Peyton and Sanders left, you would stop watching. The way I see what you are saying is once the good players leave, you are gone.
That's because they are two of my fav players. (Even though I have to admit, I'm proud of the whole squad even though we could need one or two bigger, beefier, taller O-linemen) Manning was the man who got me hooked to Football and therefore, of course, the Colts. I guess it is something like a 'first love' effect.


Quote:
But yes, I do know what you mean. But give it more time, I am sure by how much you like the Colts, you will be following them long after Peyton.
We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,621,746 times
Reputation: 7952
Fans of Chicago sports teams tend to be very very loyal, similar to NY and Boston fans. I will say that the state of the NBA has gone completely downhill and I don't watch like I used to, but if the Bulls are playing, I'll watch as much as I can stomach. At least for awhile, I could watch Skiles coach. I grew up a couple towns over from him.

See, the key to being a true sports fan is having your heart broken and still being able to pick up and cheer like you did when the season started, for the same team, no matter what players go in and out of the revolving door. That's true fan-dom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Dallas, NC
1,703 posts, read 3,522,125 times
Reputation: 808
Let me clarify one thing, I am a Panthers fan through and through. They didn't make the play offs so I found a team to pull for during that time. The Giants impressed me with their level of play and of course the coup de grace, knocking the Patriots off their pedestal. There are other teams I like to watch and could even be classified as a fan like Green Bay, Colts, and yes, now the Giants. The Panthers are my home team and I have cheered for them since 1995 when they came to Charlotte and I cheer them now as I will in the future. I like those other teams only b/c of certain players who I like and enjoy watching. If Carolina is playing them, forget it. I'm a Panther fan then all the way. I just LOVE what the Giants did and wish them well. I hope the Panthers can regroup and they'll be in the NFC Championship game and then the Super Bowl but if they can't be, I'll cheer for the Green Bay or the Giants. I like football. I don't think you have to be a servant to a franchise especially if it's not local to you. Players can turn people on and off of sports. I hate the NBA b/c the players are crappy now and only worried about how many 00000's are at the end of their checks. Kanni is right that after Jordan, Pippen, and the Bulls as well as guys like Larry Byrd and James Worthy left it changed. Players make a difference to a team and who will cheer for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,953,781 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Why are NFL fans such bandwagon jumpers??? I'm not saying all NFL fans are, but damn...don't you people realize that you are cementing the NFL/ American sports fan stereotype???
Oh, I've been a loyal Packers fan since 1982. But you'd better believe I was rooting for the Giants on Sunday!

Or was I rooting against the Patriots? Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,843,264 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Oh, I've been a loyal Packers fan since 1982. But you'd better believe I was rooting for the Giants on Sunday!

Or was I rooting against the Patriots? Hmmmm.

Exactly right! I don't think it's a matter of folks jumping on the Giants' bandwagon as much as it is people hating the Patriots. I've been a Redskins fan for 20+ years and the Giants are our rival and there is no love lost there but I was still rooting for them simply because I really dislike NE for reasons I'm not going to repeat here again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Huntsville, AL
2,221 posts, read 2,658,839 times
Reputation: 482
All I am saying is that it is easy to like a team that is winning.

I was looking for a good game, and I was pulling for the Patriots because I like Brady (Michigan fan). But I wasn't cheering like last year when my Bears were in the SB and even if the Patriots did win, I wouldn't be gloating like my team just won it.

I didn't see many people jumping on the Dolphins bandwagon this year. Why? Because they sucked. Now if the Dolphins upset the Patriots in the SB, there would have been a huge contingent of people becoming Dolphins fans. You only see people attract to teams that win. It's just the way it is.

I am not saying to be a slave to your team, I love the Bears but I watch a lot of other games when the Bears aren't playing (thank you NFL Sunday Ticket). But, I don't cheer for another team, like I do my Bears.

Why is it everyone likes to see someone built up, but as soon as they hit the top, they can't wait for someone to knock them down? Before the current Patriots, it was pretty much a sorry franchise. When they beat the Rams, everyone loved them just like the Giants. But when they become the most dominant team, they become hated, just like the Yankees in baseball. You can build yourself up from nothing and become successful, and that is okay. But if you get too successful, then nobody likes it. Just look at Wal Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top