Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Merry Christmas to all posters here on city data as Christmas approaches Friday. Enjoy your time unwrapping presents, family & friends, Christmas carols, and of course, football! The NFL normally doesn't schedule games for Christmas eve.

That's because Christmas Eve falls on a Thursday, Saturday (this late when they play on Saturday) or Sunday like once every 3 years . The last time there was a game on Christmas Eve was 2011 when Christmas Day was the Sunday, and they moved all the games to Saturday. The reason I remember this?? It was the first year Charter had picked up Redzone, and my parents almost killed me because I refused to leave my room to go to the party .

Interesting note: this will probably be the 1st of 3 straight years with the NFL having at least 1 game on Christmas Eve. Thanks to the leap year, 2016 will have the 25th scheduled for Sunday again, and going by what they did in 2011, they'll move all the games to Saturday (of course knowing Goodell watch him move games to Tuesday instead!) and then in 2017 Christmas Eve will be the regularly scheduled Sunday. Also to note, in 2018 it is scheduled to fall on a Monday, but the last time Christmas Eve was on a Monday (2012), they had no Monday Night Football game that week.

Edit: Another interesting note, the last time Christmas Eve fell on a Thursday (2009) the NFL pushed back the Thursday night game to Friday night (the 25th).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope we Broncos fans get a Christmas miracle in the form of a second half scoring drive!

My picks:

Chargers @ Raiders: Raiders. The Raiders had glimpses of playoff potential at points along the way this season so to be 6-8 at this point is probably a disappointment. Still, they have a shot to finish 8-8, which would be a remarkable improvement in Del Rio's first year as their HC.

Redskins @ Eagles: Redskins. They clinch the NFC East with a win. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY gave them a shot this year. But the perfect set of circumstances have them in position to win their division and secure a home playoff game.

Panthers @ Falcons: Panthers. They inch a little closer to a perfect regular season while the Falcons, after a 5-0 start, inch closer to another season of futility.

Steelers @ Ravens: Steelers. Lost in the OBJ/Norman showdown was a vicious cheap shot by Steelers Center Cody Wallace on Broncos Safety David Bruton. It made the OBJ hit look like child's play and in an already chippy game I was stunned Wallace wasn't ejected, and won't be suspended a game. It's been a banner year for the league in officiating. I mean that in a bad way.

Cowboys @ Bills: Bills. I think the Bills had high hopes but failed to live up to them. I still think it's a capable team. I'd like to believe Rex Ryan will be able to get more out of his defensive talent in year two of his system there, but for now they will do good to just reach 8-8 on the season.

49ers @ Lions: Lions. Another huge disappointment is the Lions. After an 11-5 season they were considered contenders this year. To add insult to injury, after a 1-7 start they've climbed to 5-9, indicating they were a capable team all along.

Browns @ Chiefs: Chiefs. They are ripe for a letdown performance. Then again, their focus seems strong and the talent level far surpasses the Browns, so even if the Chiefs have a stinker they probably live to tell about it.

Colts @ Dolphins: Dolphins. For every surprise team out there, there is a disappointing team out there as well. Or two. Like these two.

Patriots @ Jets: Jets. It's always risky to pick against the Patriots, but this Jets team is staring in the face the potential to reach the playoffs if they win out. The Pats are getting a few of their weapons back, but they only need to win one of their remaining games to lock in the #1 seed. First sign of Edelman or Gronk taking a shot and they pull them. Jets keep their playoff hopes alive.

Bears @ Buccaneers: Bucs. I've talked a lot about disappointing teams. These two, while not great teams, are both better than I expected they'd be. Tampa Bay is building something down there and John Fox is a good fit to get the Bears back on the football map.

Texans @ Titans: Texans. They've gone through more QBs than any team should in a season but thanks to their defense and a Colts team that nosedived on the season they have a chance to win the South.

Jaguars @ Saints: Saints. The Jaguars are another one of those teams that may just be a team to watch going forward. They have exploded into a high-scoring offense. But I have a little more faith in Drew Brees than Blake Bortles in a potential shoot out.

Packers @ Cardinals: Cardinals. Huge game. The Cards at home and being a more complete team put the Packers away. This promises to be one of the better matchups this week.

Rams @ Seahawks: Seahawks. They got off to a slow start last year before embarking on a 6 game finish they took all the way to the SB. It's looking like they're going for a repeat performance this year.

Giants @ Vikings: Vikings. The NFC wildcard race has really thinned out, and the Vikings appear to be the last team in. A win clinches it.

Bengals @ Broncos: Broncos. The Broncos defense is elite by 2015 standards, but it can't do it all. In losses to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Steelers, an inept offense and special teams repeatedly put this defense in impossibly difficult circumstances. And those are just the losses: the Broncos defense has been put in some precarious situations in some of the wins too. That the defensive production is still this good this deep in the season is remarkable. A competent offense that can last a whole game would make the Broncos a scary team.

Enjoy everyone!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 12-24-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 04:35 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Okay, I have lurking for a few weeks comparing some of your insight against mine and bouncing strategy for my picks in our Yahoo Pool. Thought I might throw my picks in the mix for what few weeks remain.

Oakland over San Diego
Eagles over Washington
Jets over my Patriots...........I am going to h#ll
Houston over Tennessee
Kansas over Cleveland
Miami over Indy
Detroit over San Francisco
Buffalo over Dallas
Tampa over Chicago
Carolina over Atlanta
Pittsburgh over Baltimore
New Orleans over my hometown Jaguars
Seattle over Saint Louis
Arizona over Green Bay
Minnesota over the Giants
Denver over Cincy

This is going to be one of those coin toss weekends I think!

My Yahoo Pool, I am 135-89 for the season so far.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2015, 04:46 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Okay, I have lurking for a few weeks comparing some of your insight against mine and bouncing strategy for my picks in our Yahoo Pool. Thought I might throw my picks in the mix for what few weeks remain.

This is going to be one of those coin toss weekends I think!

My Yahoo Pool, I am 135-89 for the season so far.

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays to you as well.
Is the Yahoo pool even on all games?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:59 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Happy Holidays to you as well.
Is the Yahoo pool even on all games?
Simple straight picks to win......we carry into playoffs. It is nice because so many of us live all over, so it is something we can all participate in.

Thanks for the welcome......I should have started with you guys on game one

Old 12-24-2015, 05:43 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Chargers @ Raiders
Redskins @ Eagles
Panthers @ Falcons
Cowboys @ Bills
Bears @ Buccaneers
Colts @ Dolphins
49ers @ Lions
Packers @ Cardinals
Rams @ Seahawks
Patriots @ Jets
Steelers @ Ravens
Browns @ Chiefs
Texans @ Titans
Jaguars @ Saints
Giants @ Vikings
Bengals @ Broncos

Season: 140-80

Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Simple straight picks to win......we carry into playoffs. It is nice because so many of us live all over, so it is something we can all participate in.

There's always next season. We'll be here!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:

Welcome to the fray, JB!

We're just ordinary, everyday NFL FOOTBALL addicts, that's basically it. We're addicted to that wild & crazy game of American pigskin played between the goalposts!

And we're out of our ever-lovin' minds!

Old 12-25-2015, 05:22 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
1-0! Woo hooo!

Old 12-25-2015, 05:37 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
1-0. I'm changing my Bengals-Broncos pick to be a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football