U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM

4,308 posts, read 1,869,124 times

Advertisements

Is it even possible?

I know the same will be true for receivers. And from the other perspective, probably RBs.

A took a very quick look and saw that in the 2002 and 2003 seasons there was exactly one QB each the finished the season with a QB rating over 100, Chad Pennington (104) and McNair (100) respectively. Eight other QBs in those two years finished the season with a QB rating in the 90's. Eight. In two years.

Look at the QB rating stats as they are today entering week 16:

We have five QBs with ratings in the triple digits. And a whopping 15 more with ratings in the 90s.

I think clearly a 90 QB rating (low or high 90's) used to represent the cream of the crop QBs as recently as 15 years ago. Now obviously that number has moved up and I am wondering where too. Making it an even 100 seems to make the most sense and would be the easiest to comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:25 AM

10,496 posts, read 5,967,660 times
It's clearly a passing league now with the rule changes. That means it's more important now than ever to have a good quarterback without one you really don't have much of a chance.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,893,919 times
You can thank the Indianapolis Colts for crying to the NFL (and the fact that Bill Polian was on the competition committee) for changing rules to favor the offense. Case in point the illegal contact rule. After the Patriots beat up the Colts and their receivers in the 2003 AFC title game things started to change in that regard.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's clearly a passing league now with the rule changes. That means it's more important now than ever to have a good quarterback without one you really don't have much of a chance.
I guess so, but even now, just okay QBs can look amazing.

Look at guys like Kirk Cousins and Tyrod Taylor this year. Or are they just okay QBs putting up very good numbers.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You can thank the Indianapolis Colts for crying to the NFL (and the fact that Bill Polian was on the competition committee) for changing rules to favor the offense. Case in point the illegal contact rule. After the Patriots beat up the Colts and their receivers in the 2003 AFC title game things started to change in that regard.
I agree. I think the rules to protect the QB in the pocket have helped a ton too. QB's used to get destroyed in the pocket a lot more. Now they have a confidence that they can hang in their longer and not take a bad beating.

I imagine the league views the higher scoring games and yardage totals as a good thing.

One thing it will probably lead to is viewing dominant defenses in today's game as on par with the all-time great defenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or