Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM

26,346 posts, read 14,952,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Because it's none of our business?

For those unaware, Ashley Manning gave birth to twins in 2011. Maybe there's a connection, maybe not.
Keep in mind that Peyton agreed to not take HGH. If an NFL banned substance is getting mailed to the Manning residence it is the NFL's business to look into it. That comes with the job and the millions of dollars in the NFL, which is an entertainment industry that needs fair competition at its heart.

He signed up for this kind of scrutiny.

Hopefully, if the sources and information are all wrong - he will be vindicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The more that I think about it, the more inclined I am to say that HGH should be legal in the NFL. It helps athletes heal from their constant injuries. Then...the best team could win instead of the least banged up team.
I wouldn't be opposed to making exceptions for injured players provided they sit out for a set length and then test clean when they come back in.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:41 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,949,534 times
Not sure you can test for HGH....it is naturally occurring for one thing. It is a phenomenal product that would help almost anybody. It is very expensive. Wish I had some....I feel as old as I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Keep in mind that Peyton agreed to not take HGH. If an NFL banned substance is getting mailed to the Manning residence it is the NFL's business to look into it. That comes with the job and the millions of dollars in the NFL, which is an entertainment industry that needs fair competition at its heart.

He signed up for this kind of scrutiny.

Hopefully, if the sources and information are all wrong - he will be vindicated.

I wouldn't be opposed to making exceptions for injured players provided they sit out for a set length and then test clean when they come back in.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
The more that I think about it, the more inclined I am to say that HGH should be legal in the NFL. It helps athletes heal from their constant injuries. Then...the best team could win instead of the least banged up team.
HGH is not a benign product when used to increase body mass and speed healing, there are very real risks including several types of cancer and risk of early death..

You wouldn't have the "best team" win in your scenario, you would have the "most drugged up team with the most players willing to further risk their lives in pursuit of a short career"

Also the NFL does test for HGH its just that the test is not very good, a better test will be in use as early as next season...

If Manning used HGH he should face repercussions and scorn far above what Brady received from fans and media....I want to see Mark Brunell cry on camera and whine "how could you do this Peyton" the way he did when he stated he knew for a "fact" Brady had cheated and needed to come clean despite a complete lack of evidence to support this "fact"

Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,504,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Peyton Manning is under no obligation to provide you or me with information regarding his wife's health.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:39 AM

26,346 posts, read 14,952,283 times
Quote:
Not sure you can test for HGH....it is naturally occurring for one thing. It is a phenomenal product that would help almost anybody. It is very expensive. Wish I had some....I feel as old as I am.
You in fact can test for HGH. The NFL is criticized for using poor tests at the moment that can only detect it if you took it the day of or the day before instead of a better test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Peyton Manning is under no obligation to provide you or me with information regarding his wife's health.
-Peyton Manning agreed to not take HGH.

-Other players have been suspended for taking HGH.

-Peyton Manning's residence receiving HGH should be investigated by the NFL - he is smart enough to have tipped off the NFL first via the union contract that his wife was on a banned substance to avoid conflict (assuming this did not happen). In fact, it would be preferential treatment NOT to investigate it after having investigated other athletes.

-The NFL will make the results of any such investigation public as it is in their interest. The NFL wouldn't have to say any specifics of such an investigation if Ashley Manning is using it other than it wasn't for Peyton.

-I could see why Peyton would not want to cooperate with any such investigation, especially if it is for his wife, as the NFL deliberately stated false information publicly on Brady's deflategate and leaked his personal emails and texts.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 AM

752 posts, read 564,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
"I think there's something there.. But moreso that Ashley was using it.. And there ARE legitimate medical uses for HGH. I tend to think she was using it for something legitimate.. "
Like what? Apparently there are three things you can legally be prescribed HGH for. One of them is a pituitary gland disorder (i.e., you're 16 years old and 4'0"), which Mrs. Manning obviously doesn't have. The others are short bowel syndrome (i.e., your small intestine has been surgically removed), and AIDS.

But for either of the aforementioned conditions, why would Mrs. Manning go to the Guyer Institute rather than, say, the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, or Johns Hopkins? You know, highly regarded institutions housed in gleaming office towers; not nobody clinics in nondescript one-storey shacks. Really stretches credulity.

Here's the Guyer Institute juxtaposed against the Steadman sports medicine clinic (founded by the Broncos' former doctor):

Click image for larger version

Name:	guyer vs. steadman.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	163880

And here's Indianapolis sports columnist Bob Kravitz discussing being illegally prescribed HGH by Dr. Guyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqN9YmuJLU

Last edited by drishmael; 01-05-2016 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
"If I were Manning, recovering from serious neck surgery and planning for more NFL...I would mainline HGH like it was kool-aid. It is not a steroid. It helped with his recovery and lowered odds of life in a wheelchair. Not saying that he did it....none of my business. Guy has neck surgery and you expect him to avoid the best treatment? This is like going after someone for speeding to the hospital after the water broke."
Yeah, personally, I don't mind the "crime" so much (although HGH is a controlled substance) — there's a whole lot of BS and hypocrisy from both the NFL and the fans on that front. But the cover-up gets me. I don't like being lied to and watching "journalists" abdicate their role so that a rich and famous person can evade scrutiny.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
"HGH is not a benign product when used to increase body mass and speed healing, there are very real risks including several types of cancer and risk of early death..

You wouldn't have the "best team" win in your scenario, you would have the "most drugged up team with the most players willing to further risk their lives in pursuit of a short career"

Also the NFL does test for HGH its just that the test is not very good, a better test will be in use as early as next season..."
Yeah, the NFL needs to apply a consistent standard. Either control drug use in your ranks, or put everyone on even footing by opening the floodgates and assuming liability for all of the injuries/diseases that result.

Quote:
"If Manning used HGH he should face repercussions and scorn far above what Brady received from fans and media...."
Well, the single-season TD record would certainly need to be vacated.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,949,534 times
You folks do realize that failure to fully heal from neck surgery would likely result in paralysis right? I don't think so. You are sitting on your high horse while ignoring the real world dilemna.

Your rules being more important to you than potential paralysis. This is how dystopian states operate.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,851,188 times
^^IF, and it's a big if, that were true Manning could simply apply for an exemption and would most likely have gotten one. Lots of players get them when injured. However, back alley clinics and shady folks screams performance enhancement not life quality issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.