U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,328,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Name 1 other team that has one 18 games in a season and they're not top 5 all time?

I hope you aren't driving today!
They lost the SB, like 42 other teams. 42 other teams have won the SB. It's all about "What have you done for me lately?" The Patriots' response to that (besides spygate) is losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,891,142 times
IMO, winning the super bowl is overrated. Even though it's the biggest game of the year, it's just one game. Going undefeated in the regular season is a bigger accomplishment. Putting so much emphasis on one game is ridiculous, even if it is for the championship.

( ALL ) Sports in general, put way too much emphasis on winning a championship. What an idiotic concept to call a team that loses the big game ( in any sport ) a failure even though they outplayed everyone else all seaon long. IMO, day in and day out performance is more important. That being said, I imagine the Patriots would trade their 18-0 season for another super bowl ring. CRAZY!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-14-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM

It's way more important to win the SB than to have a great regular season. Yes, there's a lot of emphasis on winning the big game (SB, WS, SC, etc.) b/c that is what ultimately matters the most. The baseball Cardinals had a mediocre regular season a couple years ago. But they peaked at the right time and won the WS. Ditto for the football Giants this past season.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:42 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,900,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
IMO, winning the super bowl is overrated. Even though it's the biggest game of the year, it's just one game. Going undefeated in the regular season is a bigger accomplishment. Putting so much emphasis on one game is ridiculous, even if it is for the championship.

( ALL ) Sports in general, put way too much emphasis on winning a championship. What an idiotic concept to call a team that loses the big game ( in any sport ) a failure even though they outplayed everyone else all seaon long. IMO, day in and day out performance is more important. That being said, I imagine the Patriots would trade their 18-0 season for another super bowl ring. CRAZY!
You IMAGINE THEY WOULD??? Ummm, I guarantee they would.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 PM

IMO, unless you've actually polled the players in person, you are not really in a position to do anything other than imagine or guess. BTW, what is your guarantee? I might be interested.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,233,003 times
I remember hearing various Pats players throughout the season saying "We don't care about the regular season, our goal is to win the Superbowl" or "The only undeafeted season that matters is the postseason"

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the jist of it.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM

Well of course they are going to say that in public...that's expected of them! That is perhaps the most over-used cliche in sports. I imagine that a few players have the intelligence to think for themselves and realize what a ridiculous concept it is to judge the entire season on one game. Over the course of the season, the Patriots players actually had an opportunity to experience themselves as winners far more often then the Giants players. Losing one game, even if that game just happened to be the BIG GAME doesn't negate that reality! Certainly it's a disappointment, but that's really all it is. Unfortunately, these guys have been brainwashed since their first day of organized sports to believe they are failures unless they win the BIG GAME.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM

I can't imagine anyone who would rather be 18-1 and lose the SB rather than go 14-6 and win the SB. Anyone who says that is either lying or is retarded.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM

beowulf

Just because you place a specific limit on your imagination, doesn't mean that everyone else places the same limitiations on theirs. Please explain how having a different picture in ones imagination, than the picture you have in yours, makes that person a liar and/or retarded.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 PM

NAReneck, the ultimate goal in the NFL is to win the SB, not to have an undefeated regular season. It's just common sense. No, I have not interviewed the Patriots players and asked them that; then again, neither have you. I guess that makes this discussion a deadlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football