Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nah. I really enjoy watching football, and yes, it's a bit of a letdown when the season is over with. However, part of what makes it fun to watch is that it ISN'T year round. By the time the season finally starts, I'm really ready for some football. Year round might make it more ho-hum.

Not to mention, it frees up Sundays for projects and weekend trips.
Truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:58 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Most people would mostly watch their home team for seven months out of the year. Nobody is saying that you must watch everything all year round.

The real die hard football fans, we have a lot, would never have to go into NFL withdrawal. It is amazing just how into football a lot of people are. Fan can be short for fanatic.

Your team would not be playing year round. Sunday projects are good for roughly half of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nah. I really enjoy watching football, and yes, it's a bit of a letdown when the season is over with. However, part of what makes it fun to watch is that it ISN'T year round. By the time the season finally starts, I'm really ready for some football. Year round might make it more ho-hum.

Not to mention, it frees up Sundays for projects and weekend trips.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
It's been tried before and failed.

USFL ring a bell?

I agree with the poster that said the fact that it isn't year-round makes it fun, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas if it happened 4x a year.

The cities mentioned in the OP don't have teams now for a reason.

Salt Lake City - Too small
Las Vegas - There's a concern over pro sports in Vegas due to gambling. No way the NFL goes there.
Portland - Too small and too close to Seattle
Omaha - Too small
Albuquerque - Too small
Oklahoma City - Might be able to pull it off, but on the small side.
Columbus - Ohio already has 2 NFL teams, no way they get a 3rd.
El Paso - Too small.
Sacramento - Already 4 teams in California, no way they get a 5th.
Tucson - Small, and Arizona needs a 2nd team like Ohio needs a 3rd.
How about 3-4 Canadian teams? - They have a league already, and all the cities large enough to have teams have them. Not enough money.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:07 PM

The USFL would have made it if it could have survived one more year. It was very close.

The Packers are one of the most successful NFL franchises. They play in a fairly small town compared to most teams.

Your "too small" criticism simply is not legitimate in many cases. Some of these cities are among the 25 largest cities in the country. California has enough people to support five teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
It's been tried before and failed.

USFL ring a bell?

I agree with the poster that said the fact that it isn't year-round makes it fun, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas if it happened 4x a year.

The cities mentioned in the OP don't have teams now for a reason.

Salt Lake City - Too small
Las Vegas - There's a concern over pro sports in Vegas due to gambling. No way the NFL goes there.
Portland - Too small and too close to Seattle
Omaha - Too small
Albuquerque - Too small
Oklahoma City - Might be able to pull it off, but on the small side.
Columbus - Ohio already has 2 NFL teams, no way they get a 3rd.
El Paso - Too small.
Sacramento - Already 4 teams in California, no way they get a 5th.
Tucson - Small, and Arizona needs a 2nd team like Ohio needs a 3rd.
How about 3-4 Canadian teams? - They have a league already, and all the cities large enough to have teams have them. Not enough money.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The USFL would have made it if it could have survived one more year. It was very close.

The Packers are one of the most successful NFL franchises. They play in a fairly small town compared to most teams.

Your "too small" criticism simply is not legitimate in many cases. Some of these cities are among the 25 largest cities in the country. California has enough people to support five teams.
The Packers are an anomaly, no way a city that size gets an expansion team or a relocated team in today's world.

As far as city size, I don't care enough to look up who's in the top 25, but I doubt the cities you listed in the OP are getting NFL teams anytime soon.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:27 AM

I doubt it as well. 32 teams is already a bit onerous in size. I like ~ 24 stable teams much better. Same players, same divisions....it was a big, stable family.

We were winning a lot. That makes things so much better of course.

Maybe I am simply growing old and miss the past.

I would like year round professional football with more playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
The Packers are an anomaly, no way a city that size gets an expansion team or a relocated team in today's world.

As far as city size, I don't care enough to look up who's in the top 25, but I doubt the cities you listed in the OP are getting NFL teams anytime soon.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 AM

Best way to split things up for year round football is: The South and the North.

South plays from ~October-April
North plays from ~April-October

Championship Game between the "best teams": November
Representative from the South would be the April Champion of the South
Representative from the North would be their Champion of the Nort
h

Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Spring/early summer football has already been done - it was called the USFL. Honestly, the USFL had an excellent concept and IMO was on its way to becoming a very viable league, but Donald Trump (the owner of the league's New Jersey Generals) screwed things up by encouraging the USFL to sue the NFL on anti-trust violations in attempt to force a merger between the two leagues and enable himself to get an NFL franchise while the USFL was still in its infant/toddler period. Had the USFL stayed on its original course, I think it would have eventually become a solid league financially and possibly would have merged with the NFL sometime in the early 1990s, not unlike the NFL's merger with the AFL in 1966 (after the AFL came into existence in 1960.)

Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 AM

The USFL had no franchises around the Colorado area and hardly appeared on my radar.

I read that the USFL was turning the corner financially and would have survived if it could have made it one more year.

Perhaps Trump was gambling....knowing that the survival rested upon a successful outcome to the lawsuit.

Now that Trump is a political figure, I can't hardly trust anything that I read. People love him. People hate him. As for me....I don't know if his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. But that is a subject for another forum...which I will avoid entirely. Except to observe that they all want to go swimming in EvilTownDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Spring/early summer football has already been done - it was called the USFL. Honestly, the USFL had an excellent concept and IMO was on its way to becoming a very viable league, but Donald Trump (the owner of the league's New Jersey Generals) screwed things up by encouraging the USFL to sue the NFL on anti-trust violations in attempt to force a merger between the two leagues and enable himself to get an NFL franchise while the USFL was still in its infant/toddler period. Had the USFL stayed on its original course, I think it would have eventually become a solid league financially and possibly would have merged with the NFL sometime in the early 1990s, not unlike the NFL's merger with the AFL in 1966 (after the AFL came into existence in 1960.)

Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Best way to split things up for year round football is: The South and the North.

South plays from ~October-April
North plays from ~April-October
Oh God no!
1) That is baseball season.
2) Football is a fall/winter sport.

Make the south play in the summer... let us keep the cold weather we love!

The USFL did the summer thing and died a good death. No need to resurrect it.

Really, year 'round is a bad idea that will never fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football