Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Harmless annoyances are far better than
-Off field shenanigans (by players and/or organizations alike)
-On field dirty play
-And, worst of all, outright criminal activity

I used to be bothered by "annoying" behavior of pro players, but have since grown to understand and see it as what it is - Inconsequential expressions of exuberance by extroverted entertainers.
I tend to agree. I used to be bothered by Ali but now when I see one of his rants, I just smile.

I still am bothered by irreverent celebration that ignores the score but nowadays I see this is less about the player and more about team cohesion.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Tim Tebow. Guy just gets too much attention for too little production.

I'm also super annoyed (and jealous) of Tom Brady.
This...minus the jealous

Old 01-18-2016, 03:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,654 times
Question y so srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Cam without a doubt. He is a hot dog, and reminds me of Jerry Jones- has to be in the spotlight. I hope Carolina loses to Arizona just so I don't have to look at his teeth anymore!
I agree....the jesters after a play and the girlish towel is more than I can stand.
Heck, if I were as rich as Cam Newton, I would hire jesters too. The more, the merrier.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Heck, if I were as rich as Cam Newton, I would hire jesters too. The more, the merrier.

Be careful. Jesters with gestures will eventually fester.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Part of the entertainment. Let the brothers dance. If it bothers you, learn to dance.

A big play adds a couple hundred thousand dollars to their net worth. When you look at it that way....

Old 01-18-2016, 04:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As this season winds down, and we are left with the four best teams in the league (which I think is true), I was thinking about how fans are always berating other teams players. I mean, I don't think a fan would look upon one of their own players as annoying. I know some players are very much hated out of their own team fan base like Tom Brady, but I'm not talking hate here. I'm just looking at players that when you watch them, somehow they just get you annoyed.

Here's my example as a New England Patriots fan, and of course my perception will be biased. And I don't think players are annoying 100% of the time, but it's those players that get remembered for one or more incidences a game that add up to annoying.

Let's look at two of the four QB's this upcoming weekend, Tom Brady and Cam Newton. Tom Brady has forever outside of New England been called a whiner. And this year, Cam Newton now in the spotlight and most likely the MVP has been called obnoxious by fans outside of Carolina.

Is Cam Newton annoying? Yes. As an atypical QB he is, at least this year, the best at his craft. He has size and speed, and finally can pass more accurately in the pocket, yet scare other teams with his leg threat. I think when he gives a ball to a kid in the stands, that appears to be totally genuine. But a player of top caliper IMO shouldn't be resorting to high school/college idiotic poses. Forget about fun and professionalism. To me he looks like an idiot when he strikes his pose. In contrast, Brady uses a fist pump which across all sports is something utilized all the time.

Is Tom Brady annoying? No. He whines no more or less than any other QB or player. In every game I see players all over the field pretending to throw flags looking for a penalty, or holding their arms wide saying "Huh? No penalty?" I watch Brady every game, yet just watching replays of other games I have seen QB's whine more in a game than Brady does looking for a foul.

In the history of football I have seen many annoying players. Jay Cutler over the years having the look on the sidelines or even in the game like he doesn't give a crap. In his earlier years I though Peyton Manning blew Brady out of the water on the annoying meter. He flailed his arms up all the time looking in quizzical disgust. He's toned it down as he's gotten older. As a coach, Rex Ryan is the most annoying I have ever seen. In his position, the last thing one should remember is his mouth, and he spews crap out of his pie hole all the time. And to boot, he has proven himself a mediocre NFL coach at best, regardless if players love him or not.

So which players annoy you?
Brady is annoying when he pretends to be a "tough guy"...

Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Have to ask how an NFL quarterback "pretends to be a tough guy."

I'll venture that you have not been blind sided by a 300 pound beast while you are laid out trying to complete a pass.

Every player in the NFL is tough.

You thinking winning Super Bowls isn't tough? That it comes easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Brady is annoying when he pretends to be a "tough guy"...

Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Jealousy explains a tremendous amount of human thought, emotions, and communication.

I have seen countless hot women called "*******" by losers who didn't know them. They just figured she must be a *****. Well.....sometimes they are right.

Interesting that our most successful quarterbacks are often being singled out. John Elway also had an unbelievable amount of haters. As well as playoff wins.

People love to hate New England. The best team of the past 15 years, far and away.
Well, I'm a woman, and I really don't have that much of a reaction towards any other football player. And there are sever all I just love.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I said I would never call one of the Patriots annoying, but historically that's not true.

Tony Eason.

Tom Brady personifies the elite QB nobody noticed. Yes, Dan Marino went in the 1st round (27th) as opposed to our Mr. 199. But what were the scouts thinking back in 1983? All I can remember calling him was Run and Hide. He saw a pass rush, he went down on his own in a lump. He was one of the most (generally speaking) timid QB's I've ever watched. So annoying.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Quote:
Harmless annoyances are far better than
-Off field shenanigans (by players and/or organizations alike)
-On field dirty play
-And, worst of all, outright criminal activity

I used to be bothered by "annoying" behavior of pro players, but have since grown to understand and see it as what it is - Inconsequential expressions of exuberance by extroverted entertainers.
Exactly. On-field behavior would bother me a lot more when I was young and immature myself but now I see it exactly like you, just players having fun and expressing themselves.

Again, cheap shots, cheating and off the field junk with no real consequence is way more bothersome and "annoys" me. I much rather my son imitate Cam Newton doing the Superman pose than some of the off the field behavior like a player like Greg Hardy is guilty of yet he's still getting paid very well. That's way more disgusting and annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football