Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Name the four Jets who sang, "Well, I used to play the Grease Bowl but I was just a kid...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

There were two Turners involved. The one I'm referring to is Jim!

I saw The Four Jets perform on the "Tonight" show. They did "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?"

The only one whose name I can remember is Bake Turner (wide receiver?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,919,914 times
Wow, there is some pure gold on this thread. Thanks everyone for contributing your Super Bowl memories!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:41 PM

18,135 posts, read 25,664,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I saw The Four Jets perform on the "Tonight" show. They did "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?"

The only one whose name I can remember is Bake Turner (wide receiver?).
Yes. Bake was involved with it as well as Jim, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard. It was a jingle to promote Score Hair Cream.

The reason I brought up Jim Turner's radio career is that I remember all these years later he was on the air one afternoon and had Winston Hill on as a guest! They talked about SB-III and mentioned the commercial. WHAT I couldn't remember was why that jingle, along with Score hair Cream could be linked to a top 20 song on the rock/pop charts at that time. It was "Hold Me Tight" by Johnny Nash (JAD-1207) that song was popular from September to early November in 1968. Cool song, not played a lot on oldie stations though. The label Johnny recorded on was Jad Records. Nash was part owner of that small but influential label which later introduced material done by noted reggae singers-Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley, and Peter Tosh.

Later that Spring Joe Namath shaved off his fu manchu for a commercial with Noxzema. Yep, the Jets were popular on and off the field regarding television.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
Yes. Bake was involved with it as well as Jim, Matt Snell, and Don Maynard. It was a jingle to promote Score Hair Cream.

The reason I brought up Jim Turner's radio career is that I remember all these years later he was on the air one afternoon and had Winston Hill on as a guest! They talked about SB-III and mentioned the commercial. WHAT I couldn't remember was why that jingle, along with Score hair Cream could be linked to a top 20 song on the rock/pop charts at that time. It was "Hold Me Tight" by Johnny Nash, that song was popular from September to early November in 1968. Cool song, not played a lot on oldie stations though. The label Johnny recorded on was Jad Records.

Right about that time Joe Namath shaved off his fu manchu for a commercial with Noxzema. Yep, the Jets were popular on and off the field regarding television.
You are good! I'd forgotten about, "Let Noxema cream your face..."

Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 PM

As critical as I've been with ESPN lately, they can be counted on for solid journalism when it comes to documentaries. And on 30 For 30 they did a great job on the "1985 Chicago Bears" documentary. That indeed was one hell of a defense the Bears had back then. I remember the Monday night game they played with Miami, that was the first time the Dolphins got their 1972 club together in one group to rally around the current club to upset the Bears. Which they did, and then ran roughshod in the playoffs before pummeling the New England Patriots 46-10.

Thinking back to the Pats, they had a good club but the Raiders would have matched up a lot better with Chicago. The Raiders flat imploded in the 1985 AFC Championship match. The Raiders had a great defense, still had Jim Plunkett at quarterback, 3rd year player Howie Long was leading the conferences best defense.

The program did a great job focusing in on the players, particularly regarding Super Bowl XX.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,081 times
Quote:

Score doesn't hold too good,
Score doesn't hold too good,
And that ain't bad,

Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
Quote:
As critical as I've been with ESPN lately, they can be counted on for solid journalism when it comes to documentaries. And on 30 For 30 they did a great job on the "1985 Chicago Bears" documentary. That indeed was one hell of a defense the Bears had back then. I remember the Monday night game they played with Miami, that was the first time the Dolphins got their 1972 club together in one group to rally around the current club to upset the Bears. Which they did, and then ran roughshod in the playoffs before pummeling the New England Patriots 46-10.

Thinking back to the Pats, they had a good club but the Raiders would have matched up a lot better with Chicago. The Raiders flat imploded in the 1985 AFC Championship match. The Raiders had a great defense, still had Jim Plunkett at quarterback, 3rd year player Howie Long was leading the conferences best defense.

The program did a great job focusing in on the players, particularly regarding Super Bowl XX.
The Patriots beat the Raiders in the AFC divisional playoffs, not the AFC Championship Game. The Patriots beat the Dolphins in the 1985 AFC Championship Game.

The team that would given the Bears real trouble had they played them in the Super Bowl was the team that actually gave them trouble in the regular season - the Dolphins. The Dolphins could protect the quarterback and pass the ball deep - the areas where the 1985 Bears were vulnerable defensively. That's why the Dolphins beat them in the regular season and IMO would have more likely than not beaten them again in the Super Bowl; Buddy Ryan wouldn't have adjusted his defense (in part because Ryan wasn't a good game day coach - I saw that first-hand when he coached the Eagles). The Bears matched up best with run-oriented teams that didn't throw the ball deep too often, and that describes the 1985 Patriots. Chicago had already beaten the Patriots fairly easily (20-7) in the regular season that year.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM

14,281 posts, read 14,511,424 times
In the recent SB commercial show, the shaving cream one made the list, of course. It was great. I mentioned before my mom was a Joe Namath fan, she didn't like pro football that much but she loved Joe Namath! His personality he was up for anything, I seem to remember something about panty hose, too!

The 30 for 30 last night was awesome, great memories, an awesome group of players. I loved listening to them tell their stories. The end with Buddy Ryan and Mike Singletary, the letter, touched my heart.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Chip72 is right. Not sure where I got regarding the AFC Championship. What I remember about that game is that the Raiders had led through the first half. The Pats came back w/ a field goal and recovered a fumble on a kickoff return for a touchdown. And the Raiders never threatened after that. I'm a little hazy on the details regarding the qb situation. Plunkett retired after the 1986 season but played a good share of the '85 season. But Marc Wilson was the qb in the playoff game. I'm thinking Al Davis decided right there that looking for a qb had to be done and in 1988 he acquired Jay Schroeder. And then from then on the Raiders qb situation was poor.

Marino? Yep. It was pointed out in last nights bio, the 1985 Chicago Bears, that the Dolphins had their way with the Bears in that game. It was just the year before that the Dolphins were in the super bowl. The Dolphins definitely would have been a better matchup for SB-XX

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
It should be noted the 1985 New England Patriots were the first team to make the Super Bowl after winning 3 straight road playoff games (at Jets, at Raiders, at Dolphins).

One other note about the Patriots of that era - most people don't remember this, but New England was a better than average team almost every year from the mid-1970s to late 1980s. In fact, between 1976 and 1988 the Patriots only had one season below .500. However, in that one season (1981), nothing went right for them and they went 2-14!

Here's a list of the Patriots' records during that stretch:

1976: 11-3 (first winning season since 1966)
1977: 9-5
1978: 11-5
1979: 9-7
1980: 10-6
1981: 2-14
1982: 5-4
1983: 8-8
1984: 9-7
1985: 11-5
1986: 11-5
1987: 8-7 (6-6 with regular team)
1988: 9-7

The Patriots then fell to 5-11 in 1989 and became one of the worst teams in the league for a few years, with lows of 1-15 in 1990 and 2-14 in 1992. They turned things around in 1994 and largely have remained a very good team since; they had only two losing seasons between 1994 and 2000 and then kicked it up another notch or two since 2001.

I think the late 1970s and 1980s Patriots aren't remembered better because they only won playoff games in one of those seasons (and made the playoffs only 5 times in that 1976-1988 stretch). They did have a few memorable games though, most notably their 1976 playoff game against the eventual Super Bowl champion Raiders (which the Patriots lost on a controversial roughing the passer penalty, a foreshadowing of sorts in the teams' role reversal a quarter century later in the Tuck Rule Game; incidentally in 1976 New England handed Oakland its only loss in the Raiders' 13-1 regular season) and the 1982 "Snow Plow Game" (a regular season game against the Dolphins in Foxboro played during a snowstorm in which the Patriots had a convict on work release plow a bare spot on the field prior to the Patriots' successful 4th quarter field goal attempt in a 3-0 New England win; then-Miami coach Don Shula to this day gets irritated when that game is brought up, though the eventual AFC champion Dolphins would get their revenge when they beat the Patriots in the first round of the playoffs that same season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football