Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don't understand fan and media obsession of retiring on a high note. The time to retire is when you can no longer play the game with the intensity and passion that makes you love the game. If it comes to the point where no team will be interested in your services at the level you see acceptable, then so be it. You will then know you have exhausted every last resource.

Hmmm, I think he should retire. The player/athlete is usually the last to know. The only thing Peyton Manning had to prove was that he could come back from freaking neck surgery, endure two 13-3 seasons, two 12-4 seasons and a Super Bowl win for a first year head coach with a great defense and a lousy makeshift O-line, and then take the cleats off and pick up a clip board and a visor cap, and enjoy.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
But apparently it did not. He was a first ballot HOF'er. Just like Peyton would be guaranteed regardless of what he chooses to do.
No one is questioning Favre's HOF credentials. But hanging on for 1-2 more years and doing what Favre did did leave a sour taste in many people's mouths.

Legacy isn't all about numbers and HOF. It's how people view you and your entire body of work. Those last 1-2 years of Favre tainted it just a bit.

Elway (and hopefully Manning) have none of that.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:21 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
I don't understand fan and media obsession of retiring on a high note. The time to retire is when you can no longer play the game with the intensity and passion that makes you love the game. If it comes to the point where no team will be interested in your services at the level you see acceptable, then so be it. You will then know you have exhausted every last resource.
He's had significant health issues for at least the last two seasons that have hindered his play, and early this season he looked absolutely awful. For a few games mid-season games he looked good, but then he was out with an injury.

He's had an amazing career. If he continues to play he not only risks embarrassment but also a potentially debilitating injury. To me that seems like way to much risk considering he's so far past his prime.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Manning would be a terrible fit for Houston.

The Texans need a long-term solution at quarterback, not someone who is clearly over-the-hill who will take up more money than the team needs to be spending on one position.

True, that is a team that could go from decent to really good with just one player, but at his age, Manning might not even be better than Brian Hoyer next year. He wasn't better than Hoyer last year.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Let me think it over while I feast on Papa John's and Oreos and wash that down with some Budweiser.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hmmm, I think he should retire. The player/athlete is usually the last to know.
Because they love the game and that is what it is all about in my book.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Manning would be a terrible fit for Houston.

The Texans need a long-term solution at quarterback, not someone who is clearly over-the-hill who will take up more money than the team needs to be spending on one position.
Like I mentioned earlier, I agree. BUT can Houston find that QB this year? They don't have a top draft pick. They don't have anyone on the current roster waiting in the wings. I'll change my opinion if they can find someone.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Those who claim that "any QB" could have played SB 50 for the Broncos and the defense would have won it for 'em anyway...well, would you honestly claim that Brock Osweiler could have won that SB game?

If you think so, then you're denying the power of game management and thinking only of stats.

Peyton is more than a QB; he's a leader.

While Brock might still get his chance, there's no way he would have been able to play under that Carolina defensive pressure without making mistakes that could very well have cost us the game.

Peyton could, and even without 300 yards passing and 3 passing TDs or some such, he was a critical part of the win.
He did make critical mistakes including 2 turnovers and no offensive TD's until the Newton fumble inside the 10

Bronco's won that game in spite of Manning not because of him, pretty sure Osweiler could hand the ball off as well as Manning and he can definitely throw better than Manning at this point

Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Honestly. Houston could make sense though for both parties. If I am the Bronco's I probably move on from Peyton. But down in Houston, it is obvious they don't have a capable QB on the roster currently. Now, they will try to draft a rookie, but they won't be in the best spot to do that. I'm not saying Peyton going down their means the Texans are going to contend for the AFC Championship. But they could certainly potentially make the playoffs again, which if you are the Texans, that is pretty much where your bar is set.
Manning is no longer a "capable QB" he would be a downgrade from Hoyer..

Manning was statistically the worst starting QB in the NFL last season and he just played a SB where he had the worst stats for a winning QB in SB history....

How does he help Houston or any team any more....he is done

Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
He did make critical mistakes including 2 turnovers and no offensive TD's until the Newton fumble inside the 10

Bronco's won that game in spite of Manning not because of him, pretty sure Osweiler could hand the ball off as well as Manning and he can definitely throw better than Manning at this point
Actually only the interception was on him. That was a poor read. The strip/sack was our offensive line catching the dumb again and letting guys blow right by them.

Manning did what he needed to do to win. I'm sure that the gameplan all week was to play mistake free football and let the defense win it. With only one or two exceptions, Manning did that.

He did his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football