U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,658,118 times

Advertisements

There is no way they could have everything ready for the Super Bowl with only 2 weeks advance warning. For everything that happens in that 2 week span, it takes years to plan everything.

And money does talk. You aren't going to have celebrities and CEOs sitting out in the freezing cold in February. That's why it is either in a dome, or a warm weather city.

As far as the Pro Bowl, for every player that could care less going to their 3rd, 4th, or 5th Pro Bowl there is a first timer that thinks it is the best thing in their career besides winning the Super Bowl. I think it is great.

You also have a better talent pool than all of the other sports. In every other sport, the All-star games are played mid-year. So you could have a great first half, be an all-star, then suck the rest of the year. Not exactly always the best of the best there.

AZ - This isn't college football. If you want the ball in OT and your team doesn't win the toss, your defense has to stop the opposing offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM

64 posts, read 187,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
There is no way they could have everything ready for the Super Bowl with only 2 weeks advance warning. For everything that happens in that 2 week span, it takes years to plan everything.

Of course.

A rather silly and not thought out suggestion.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
You may as well as just have 2 16-team conferences for pete's sakes.
Then it would be worse than the NBA and NHL playoffs, where more than half the teams in the leauge can make it. It works for them, I know. But the reason why the NFL has the best playoff system is because only 12 teams out of 32 can get in. It makes for more drama and the teams are playing for the most popular championship day in all of sports. Now you know that last sentence is only my opinion.... But still....

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,315,348 times
I agree that the playoff system should be kept as is. Therefore, the more winning Giants rightly had to play on the road against the division winning Bucs, who had a worse record than the NYG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah... I gotta disagree there. I can't imagine a Super Bowl without it played in a neutral site.

Other than that, you're right. The Pro Bowl is irrelevent.
But the SB isn't necessarily in a neutral site location. If the AZ Cardinals represented the NFC, it would've been like a home game for them (even though technically it would be called a road game). I guess it's a curse for your team to host the SB b/c I don't think that team ever played in that particular SB when hosting it.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

But the SB isn't necessarily in a neutral site location. If the AZ Cardinals represented the NFC, it would've been like a home game for them (even though technically it would be called a road game). I guess it's a curse for your team to host the SB b/c I don't think that team ever played in that particular SB when hosting it.
I don't think it's a curse. But didn't the (L.A.) Raiders or Rams play in a Super Bowl back in the 80's in Pasadena, CA? I'm pretty sure that happened. That would count as homefield.
But as you know, homefield advantege means nothing now-a-days.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't think it's a curse. But didn't the (L.A.) Raiders or Rams play in a Super Bowl back in the 80's in Pasadena, CA? I'm pretty sure that happened. That would count as homefield.
But as you know, homefield advantege means nothing now-a-days.
What I meant is a team playing the SB in their natural home stadium.

Yes, the Giants certainly proved that home field advantage doesn't mean much.

But I'd be curious to see that since modern NFL era started 42 years ago (accounting for the Super Bowl history), what the overall record has been for all home teams. Furthermore, extend this stat out for other major team sports (MLB, NBA, and NHL).

Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 AM

823 posts, read 1,991,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
You also have a better talent pool than all of the other sports. In every other sport, the All-star games are played mid-year. So you could have a great first half, be an all-star, then suck the rest of the year. Not exactly always the best of the best there.
I don't know how you can say that. Not only do most big time stars skip the Pro Bowl but most players who do play haven't played in a month. That is a long break. The other sports all star games fit into their schedule so the players are fit and in game shape even if all sports have the skipping problem.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. You want to keep a list of first and second team "All Pro" players, fine. But there's no reason to play the game anymore.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM

^ Most do not skip the Pro Bowl. Yes, some sore losers like Brady and Moss do, but they're in the minority, not the majority.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,658,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I don't know how you can say that. Not only do most big time stars skip the Pro Bowl but most players who do play haven't played in a month. That is a long break. The other sports all star games fit into their schedule so the players are fit and in game shape even if all sports have the skipping problem.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. You want to keep a list of first and second team "All Pro" players, fine. But there's no reason to play the game anymore.
Now where does that sound familiar, players taking off more than a month to play a football game. So it isn't ok for NFL players to do it to play a exhibition game, but it is okay to decide a National Champion in college, having over a month from their last game?

So because it is at the end of the season, rather than having it in the middle of the season where being named one of the top players at your position for having a good first half, the NFL just shouldn't have it altogether? Last I checked, All-star games are for the players and don't mean much. Well except baseball since Selig gave the winner homefield advantage in the WS.

That statement about most players not going has already been answered. Just look at T.J. Who'syourmama? (sorry, I don't feel like looking up how to spell his last name correctly) You just knew he wanted to be named to the Pro Bowl along with almost every other NFL player.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM

^ LOL @ "Whosyourmama". I can't spell his last name either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football