Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,759,025 times

Advertisements

I live near Green Bay so there is a tremendous amount of Packers spirit in this area. The closer you get to Green Bay the more fanatical it gets. Last season I tried to get into all the excitement of pro football which I hadn't done in years. I made it half way through the season and burned out. Got sick of the first 5 or 10 minutes of nightly news on the latest game and that was before sports part of the news. Also got sick of the headlines of the local paper with the Packer game results and that wasn't even the sports section. This season I won't waste a minute on pro football. Gotta admit I tried. Any else getting sick of the over hype of the game? Its a great sport but its only a sport and getting shoved down my throat gets to me. I also think that pro football is ready to take a dive in popularity. Peoples interest of certain types of entertainment change and they can change fast. In the 1930s boxing was the biggest sport around. 100,000 people would sometimes go to a boxing match. Think of Yankee Stadium filled all the way to center field with people including all the people in the seating area of the stadium. Then boxing took a dive and never came back to what it once was. Then in the late 40s and early 50s cowboy and indian movies were all the thing to watch. Then suddenly people got sick of that and their taste of entertainment changed. I think footballs time has come or maybe getting closer.

[Snip]

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-02-2016 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Not a Debate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM

24,299 posts, read 16,977,085 times
I really enjoy my home team the NE Patriots. I watch all their games and listen to the talk and news about them but I limit myself to them. I couldn't imagine planting myself on the couch on a Sunday for 12 hours of all out football channel flipping.

I agree with you that the coverage is huge. I will listen to sports radio the day after the game and my wife will be like
"are they talking about the game?" Yes it is Patriots Monday. later in the week I will be listening again and she will be like "are they STILL talking about the game?" Yes they are!
It is kind of silly how much talk is generated from a one hour game.

Of course the talk now is all about Tom Brady being suspended for 4 games after the commissioners witch hunt.
Football is big money and it is not going away.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,356,739 times
[Snip] You aren't interested in football so you don't plan to watch it. Makes sense. I feel the same way about the NBA. And NASCAR.

[Snip]

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-02-2016 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Edited to remove reference to original forum posting

Old 08-02-2016, 10:47 AM

9,309 posts, read 14,205,607 times
I look forward to my home town team's early game on Sunday afternoon (don't watch the pre-game show), maybe a second game in the late afternoon. To me, the night games are overkill, not just Monday night, which used to be okay 30-40 years ago, but now also Sunday night and Thursday night, I just can't stay up so late on those nights.

With so many night games on odd days of the week (why can't they be Friday and Saturday?), each team plays at least two or three or them, so I miss about that many of my home town team's games each season.

I can always get the highlights on YouTube the next morning.

Regardless of my personal habits and preferences, indeed there is big money surrounding the NFL.

Long-term it could face an existential threat if it does not come to terms with and tackle the concussion issue: in my view at least, it is not worth watching if human beings are going to be permanently impaired, or worse, even if the players know the risks and are paid astronomical amounts of money.

However I am hopeful that technological innovations may solve the issue: my nine-year old son suggested tiny airbags on the outside part of helmets; any brainstorming idea is worth listening to in order to safeguard any otherwise great game.

Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,539,091 times
I live near Green Bay also and don't mind the coverage at all, bring it on, love it. I've always been more of an NFL fan than baseball or basketball. Big picture when I was in Illinois, reading the Chicago Tribune, sports was in sports but drastic difference in population compared to Green Bay and baseball, basketball and a football team, more to cover.

I don't see an issue at all and the NFL isn't going anywhere, any time soon. You have a choice, watch or not!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,884,581 times
I live relatively close to Green Bay and feel the same way you do, perhaps we could start a club or a facepage thingy...Go Hodags!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM

22,297 posts, read 47,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You aren't interested in football so you don't plan to watch it. Makes sense. I feel the same way about the NBA. And NASCAR.
Yep... same here.

OP, football is not going anywhere in the near future. And your departure from watching it on TV won't hasten the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
This season I won't waste a minute on pro football.
But here you are on the pro football forum already!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM

18,163 posts, read 25,704,680 times
*quick note here*-

I'm familiar who are steady posters on the two football sub forums and who aren't.

This thread was moved from a different forum earlier this morning.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 6,293,209 times
Sports-zero interest. They could delete those channels from the cable menu for my money.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Sports-zero interest. They could delete those channels from the cable menu for my money.
And yet....

As for myself, I love football but would pay a lot less attention if it weren't for bars having Sunday Ticket. I'm out of market for my favorite/home team. A big turn off for me has been increased rules, leading to more stoppage and the relentless commercial breaks. NFL is in drastic need for a speedup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football