U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 02:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,951,624 times

Advertisements

First game Carolina @ Denver finally almost here!

Carolina @ Denver
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Buffalo @ Baltimore
Chicago @ Houston
Green Bay @ Jacksonville
San Diego @ Kansas City
Oakland @ New Orleans
Cincinnati @ NY Jets
Cleveland @ Philadelphia
Minnesota @ Tennessee
Miami @ Seattle
NY Giants @ Dallas
Detroit @ Indianapolis
New England @ Arizona
Pittsburgh @ Washington
L.A. Rams @ San Francisco
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,274,023 times
Broncos
Falcons
Bills
Texans
Jaguars (sorry LordHelmit but Green Bay is not a hot weather team. They play better in the cold unlike the Detroit Lions.)
Chiefs
Saints
Jets
Eagles
Cowboys
Titans
Dolphins
Lions
Patriots
Steelers
Rams

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 09-04-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM

21,444 posts, read 22,006,556 times
Carolina @ Denver

Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Buffalo @ Baltimore
Chicago @ Houston
Green Bay @ Jacksonville
San Diego @ Kansas City
Oakland @ New Orleans
Cincinnati @ NY Jets
Cleveland @ Philadelphia
Minnesota @ Tennessee

Miami @ Seattle

NY Giants @ Dallas
Detroit @ Indianapolis

New England @ Arizona

Pittsburgh
@ Washington

Old 09-04-2016, 06:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,136,568 times
Carolina @ Denver
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Buffalo @ Baltimore
Chicago @ Houston
Green Bay @ Jacksonville
San Diego @ Kansas City
Oakland @ New Orleans
Cincinnati @ NY Jets
Cleveland @ Philadelphia
Minnesota @ Tennessee
Miami @ Seattle
NY Giants @ Dallas
Detroit @ Indianapolis
New England @ Arizona
Pittsburgh @ Washington
Los Angeles@ San Francisco

Old 09-04-2016, 06:26 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,387,913 times
Carolina @ Denver
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Buffalo @ Baltimore
Chicago @ Houston
Green Bay @ Jacksonville
San Diego @ Kansas City
Oakland @ New Orleans
Cincinnati @ NY Jets
Cleveland @ Philadelphia
Minnesota @ Tennessee
Miami @ Seattle
NY Giants @ Dallas
Detroit @ Indianapolis
New England @ Arizona
Pittsburgh @ Washington

Old 09-04-2016, 07:09 PM

4,913 posts, read 3,991,568 times
Default Week One Cat-Picks

SO the first week is upon us. Next Thrusday night to the pomp and revelry that only a Thursday night can bring we will see the Super Bowl rematch between the Cats and the Horses. For most of us, the real party begins Sunday when we congregate at our nearest sports bar to eat drink and watch football. Fortunately I can walk to mine.
Which means that if I get a skinful, I can walk home as well. Weather permitting.

SO here are the Cats First week Picks. Hope you all have a fun enjoyable day and that your favorite teams win (as long as they are not beating mine)

"THE SUPER BOWL REMATCH!"
PANTHERS @ Broncos
In Mile High, the Cats will be stalking for revenge. There are some questions for both teams on both sides of the ball. It would be a shame though if the cats started a big long losing streak

BUCCANEERS @ Falcons I think that the Pirates Defensive attack will overwhelm the weaker defensies of the Falcons. The Falons will fight back, making it a close high scoring game.

Buffalos @ RAVENS Last Year, the Ravens had enough injuries to make Edgar Allen Poe cringe. They should be back to their old form, while the Rex Ryan led Buffaloes, whoever they may be this year, will keep the game close. Big Joe Flacco should be back to his top tier form as well.

Bears @ TEXANS The CRUMMY GAME OF THE WEEK Poor Bears, they should stay home. Problem is, the team they are going to visit is overrated, undermanned and about to disappoint.
Packers @ JAG UARS It is difficult ot colorize the Jags, and in the past, I did not need to much. That may change this year. Let me point out too that there is NO SUCH THING as an "UPSET" in week one. We do not know who is going to be good and who is going to be bad (With a few exceptions, see game above) The Jags will win at home, the new attack will overwhelm the Pack who go in slightly underestimating the greatly improved cats.

Chargers @ CHIEFS What can be said here, except that the Chiefs continue to knock on the first place door while the Chargers are content to sit in the basement and play Maden Football 11

RAIDERS @ Saints Well, the Saints are at home, but I think the team overall will pick up where they finished last year, which is on a downward slide. Brees still has some New Orleans Mojo in him,, but not as much of a supporting cast.
BENGALS @ Jets This should be a good game. The Jets will continue to evolve into a Defensive power, under the eyes of the coach, while the offense needs to play keep up Against a powerful Stripey cat team, though, I don;t see the Jets flying high after this one.

BROWNS @ Eagles Watch the Browns win on the raod to start the season. Watch the Eagles fans get mad. The Browns not so much a great team perhaps though as the Eagles a bad one. This year at least.

Vikings @ TITANS Another one that is hard to pick. The Vikings are at a distinct disadvangtage, throwing Sam Bradford (Yes, THE Sam Bradford) into opening game against a well balanced and improved offense behind Mariotta I see the Titans pulling this one into the Win column, and NO it is not an Upset, The Vikings are going to have to reestablish the offense and that may take a while.
Dolphins @ SEAHAWKS So my Finz begin the new coaching career of Adam Gase with a loss on the road to the great Pete Carroll

GIANTS @ Cowboys ♫ Jerry Jones had a farm ♫ ELI ELI OH! ♫ But the Giants came and won the first game ELI ELI OH! Poor Cowboys. All the talk of a great season starts down the drain Sunday. WAH WAH WAH!

Lions @ COLTS Cats vs Horses two Normally, A Lion could take down a COlt, but the Colts may be LUCKy Sorry

Patriots @ CARDINALS Some are calling this a Super Bowl Pre-Match It is safe to say that without Brady, in the desert agaisnt a superior defense the Patriots will fail. But understand too that the Pesky Red Birds are poised to dominate. There are only a few really good teams this season, and the Pesky Red Birds are one of them.

STEELERS @ Redskins Speaking of dominant teams this year, the Steelers are another one. Look for a healthy Big Ben and a solid defense to put heap big hurt on Redskins.
RAMS @ 49ers My only wish is that the Rams would dress like this instead.

And the 49ers, led by a coach that no one likes, will tank early, perhaps tonight.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,063,059 times
I'm definitely ready for another season of football and my stupid picks. Hopefully this season isn't as weird as last year. Here goes nothing:

Carolina @ Denver-Superman gets revenge in this Super Bowl rematch as the Broncos search for a new leader at the QB position. Carolina is poised for another great season. Denver should do okay too since they still have a stellar defense.

Tampa Bay @ Atlanta-Matty Ice is the first in a long line of QBs this season to smoke a Winston. Let's hope the Falcons don't wet the bed like they did last year after a 6-0 start.

Buffalo @ Baltimore-I think this will be a low-scoring affair and a defensive battle. I have a feeling Buffalo will take this in a squeaker.

Chicago @ Houston-There will be a lot of Osweiler to Hopkins and JJ Watt and company sacking Cutler in this one.

Green Bay @ Jacksonville-I'm glad that Jordy Nelson is back. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers is too. Maybe Rodgers can return to excellence now that his main man is back. This will be a tough week 1 test and I predict a shootout. Hot weather withstanding, I think the Pack will find some way to walk out of EverBank Field sweaty with a win. Hopefully it doesn't come down to a Hail Mary, but we know Rodgers can do that if necessary.

San Diego @ Kansas City-My gut is telling me to pick the Chargers for this one, but I'm telling it to shut up. The Chiefs were good last year and should be able to handle to the bolts at Arrowhead, right?

Oakland @ New Orleans-Saints haven't been particularly impressive the last few seasons, but it's a new beginning in N'awlins with the same ol' Drew Brees. Let the good times roll!

Cincinnati @ NY Jets-I think the Jets overachieved last season. I think they're in for a rough season based on absolute no good reasoning whatsoever. Cincy will have another great season only to get ousted in the first round of playoffs yet again. Why break tradition?

Cleveland @ Philadelphia-Eagles soar and have an easy day as RGIII still suffers from a raging case of the yips.

Minnesota @ Tennessee-Last season the Vikings began the season with an embarrassing road loss to my dumpster-fire 49ers. They will repeat history this year, but they'll make the playoffs again.

Miami @ Seattle-This is my gimme of the week. I expected the Seahawks to dominate last season. That didn't really happen. I think they're going to steamroll to the Super Bowl this year. I hope I'm not wrong 2 years in a row.

NY Giants @ Dallas-Even if I was high on Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott, I physically can't pick the Cowboys to win a game. Besides I like the Giants to take the NFC Least this year.

Detroit @ Indianapolis-One of my general picking rules is to never pick Detroit for road games unless they're playing the Cowboys. It has served me well. A healthy Luck should get the Colts back into the playoffs.

New England @ Arizona-Even if the Pats had Brady playing, I would still take the Cards in this. I predict a blowout win with Jimmy G. under center.

Pittsburgh @ Washington-Redskins didn't have a single win against a team that made the playoffs last year. Pittsburgh is definitely a playoff-caliber team and my pick to win the AFC as long as Big Ben stays healthy.

LA Rams @ San Francisco-It has been a while since I've picked my Niners to win a football game and this might be the only one this season, but Kaepernick is at his finest when he's facing the most adversity. This current controversy will light a fire under him and he will have the game of his life as the 49ers gift wrap a welcome back to the NFL woodshed beating to the LA Rams.

Last edited by maniac77; 09-04-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 10:46 PM

9,486 posts, read 7,163,629 times
Carolina @ Denver - I'll take Carolina.. Too many questions on Denver at the QB position. But, if the Denver 'D rattles Newton, you'll once again see him fall apart.
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta - I'll go with Atlanta at home here. But, I don't expect them to be great this year.
Buffalo @ Baltimore - There'd be no question if Buffalo was at home, but i'll take a chance on this.
Chicago @ Houston - I don't expect much from either team.
Green Bay @ Jacksonville - Jacksonville is improving.. Sort of. But not enough to win this game.
San Diego @ Kansas City - San Diego is going to be bad.
Oakland @ New Orleans - I like Oakland. They're up and coming, but.. NO at home.
Cincinnati @ NY Jets - Yeah.. Jets should fall back to earth this year.
Cleveland @ Philadelphia - RG3 has a good game to get the Cleveland faithful's hopes up. It won't last.
Minnesota @ Tennessee - Too many questions at QB for Minnesota. Not enough time for Bradford to get comfortable with the playbook.
Miami @ Seattle - Seattle D could pitch a shutout.
NY Giants @ Dallas - Bad, but solid Giants team should win this one.
Detroit @ Indianapolis - I'll go with Indy at home. Expect some improvement from Detroit this year.
New England @ Arizona - All hinges on Palmer's health for the Cards.
Pittsburgh @ Washington - I feel this is something of a homer pick.. But, I think Washington can win.
L.A. Rams @ San Francisco - 49ers are a train wreck.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 AM

10,721 posts, read 11,142,357 times
Week 1 Picks:

Panthers @ Broncos: Broncos. Despite returning 9 of 11 starters on defense, many have written off this Broncos team. A dominating performance in the season opener can send a message they are not going anywhere. Both teams will be up for this game, but Denver is a tough place to play.

Packers @ Jaguars: Packers. I can't help but feel the Jaguars may show some signs of life this year with some of the talent they have on both sides of the ball. But a healthy Packers team will be too much for them to handle.

Chargers @ Chiefs: Chiefs. This game is harder to pick than it appears. First, you have to put aside records from the previous season. Secondly, in a game between rivals, all bets are off. Add in the Chiefs defense looks like it may struggle to be anywhere close to as good as it was last year, and the Chargers boast a potentially explosive offense. But drawing the Chiefs in Kansas City in week 1 is a tough row to hoe, and with expectations for the Chiefs high in Kansas City, that stadium will be a madhouse and a very tough place for the visiting team to play.

Raiders @ Saints: Saints. The Raiders are not dissimilar to the Jaguars in the sense they have what appears to be a talented roster but need to show they can put it together. I don't think expectations for the Saints are very high this year but in week 1 there is no telling what may happen. A talented but unproven roster on the road in week 1...? No thanks, I'll give the home team the benefit of the doubt.

Bengals @ Jets: Bengals. I'm not convinced the Jets have staying power after a 10-6 season last year. Especially since they allowed a contract dispute to keep their QB away from training camp. Meanwhile I can't help but feel there may be pressure mounting on Marvin Lewis to get his first playoff win. He's 0-7 in the playoffs including 5 consecutive years of losing in the first round. And yet...this era of Bengals football has still been one of the best in franchise history.

Browns @ Eagles: Eagles. First let me say I have low expectations for both teams. I think with Hue Jackson in Cleveland the Browns may actually be in better shape in the long run. But this week...I'll take the home team over the Browns. It's not a hard choice.

Vikings @ Titans: Vikings. Some last minute injuries and dealings have made this a very different Vikings team from the one we knew and loved when preseason started. I can't help but feel that if Bradford can stay healthy his acquisition will have made the Vikings offense a far better unit than last year's. Which is an intriguing proposition for a team with a good defense and coming off an 11-5 finish.

Bears @ Texans: Texans. I have to admit, I think Houston is going to be pretty good this year. They already had a great defense and while Osweiler is unproven as a QB (relative to that contract he got) he is surely a marked improvement over what the Texans strung together last year. Plus the team brought in some talent on offense to give Oz some help. Are we on the brink of a long run in which the Texans dominate the south?

Bills @ Ravens: Bills. I think the Ravens are a good team, but last year was a down and disappointing year for them. It's always hard to know what to expect out of a good team that has a down year. I think this will be a low scoring game with that front 7 of Buffalo making things hard on Flacco and the Ravens. I'm not sold on the Bills offense, but I'll say Tyrod Taylor just may be able to make a believer out of me.

Buccaneers @ Faclons: Buccaneers. I think the Bucs have a shot to contend for a playoff spot this year. It's just a matter of building off of last season. Defensively they gave up some scores last year but the pieces to be a solid unit are there. On offense they need Winston to take the next step forward from a great rookie season. The Bucs may not be a playoff team but I think they'll be in the mix going into the last weeks of the season.

Dolphins @ Seahawks: Seahawks. I don't know if the Seahawks will score a lot, but I know this: they won't have to. Their defense going up against a pretty unreliable Miami offense at home in week 1 has the trappings of a shutout. In fact, I'm calling the score on this one: Seahawks 24, Dolphins 0. (PS: I called a shutout in the Seahawks 26-0 win over the Bears last year too.)

Giants @ Cowboys: Giants. They rolled out the checkbook and signed a bunch of FAs on defense, while the Cowboys will be starting rookie Dak Prescot. Starting Prescot isn't the problem: he's looked decent and has arguably the best offensive line protecting him. But that Dallas defense isn't anything to get excited over. Giants edge them in a snoozer.

Lions @ Colts: Colts. For all of Jim Irsay's talk about "building a different kind of team" (referring back to Manning's "star wars" numbers) he certainly hasn't delivered. Unless by that he is referring to the Colts being a different kind of one-man show under Luck than they were under Manning. And you'd think with a QB like Luck the team leadership would be interested in bringing in an O-line capable of blocking once in a while. Still, I'll give the Colts the benefit of the doubt in week 1 at home. Especially against the Lions.

Patriots @ Cardinals: Cardinals. I'd have picked them with or without Brady starting for the Patriots. The NFCCG probably left a bad taste in this team's mouth and they will be eager to move on now that the season has started. I am not counting the Patriots out though, even with Brady missing 4 games. But I think Arizona gets up for this one and wins it either way.

Steelers @ Redskins: Steelers. Despite a 9-7 finish and unexpected NFC East title reminiscent of the 2012 season, the locals here (I live in the Redskins market) are actually pretty cool on this team. Looking across the East, it's easy to see why the Redskins should be liked as much or more than any of them to win it in 2016, but the last time this team had expectations it was a disaster. They will drop this one to a better team, but how they respond can make the difference between another playoff season or flaming out the way they did in 2013.

Rams @ 49ers: Rams. But really, does anyone care? Jeff Fisher was featured on Hard Knocks saying "I'm not going 8-8 again." And he's right. The Rams won't go 8-8. Or 7-9. I'll give them 6-10 at best. Which will still be a lot better than the 49ers.

So there's my take on week 1. As with every year, I will be happy if I break even in week 1 because it is one of the most unpredictable weeks in all of professional sports. I hope everyone enjoys!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,147,365 times
NFL Week 1! DOBBIN Picks for Colt!

Carolina @ Denver – Dobbin never picks against his Bronco cousins (SB rematch)!
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta – Falcons outlast Bucs at home
Buffalo @ Baltimore – Dirty Birds thumb their beaks at Rex
Chicago @ Houston – Matt Barkley now at Bears (not playing) - Brock fall down, go boom!
Green Bay @ Jacksonville – Dobbin sez: Da Pack is back!
San Diego @ Kansas City – Chargers go zzzzzzt! At Chiefs
Oakland @ New Orleans – Nawlins no like Raiders - ain’t gonna lose at home
Cincinnati @ NY Jets – Red Rifle shoots down Airplanes
Cleveland @ Philadelphia – Iggles win at home
Minnesota @ Tennessee – Vikes strike down Mariota
Miami @ Seattle – Yucky Seahawks eat yummy fish
NY Giants @ Dallas – Eli beats Cowboys – Peyton in housecoat - watches from home
Detroit @ Indianapolis – Dobbin never picks against his Colt cousins
New England @ Arizona – Tom Brady in NFL jail (week uno)
Pittsburgh @ Washington – Skins take down Stillers
L.A. Rams @ San Francisco – Lambs spank Kap, beat Blaine and the 9ers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football