U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
You don't speak for everyone and you don't determine what is represented by the anthem.

I'm a veteran and my wife still serves. She is up for deployment next year.

I believe every American should feel free to exercise his or her constitutional rights, which is what these players are doing.

It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with them.

I always stand up for the anthem and the pledge, but it doesn't bother me if some people don't. People in this country should feel free to do what makes them comfortable as long as they are not hurting anyone else. If you believe you are being harmed by someone else not standing up for the anthem, you need to take your own advice and stop being so "politically correct."
I'm also a veteran and I understand what you are saying here. But it seems to me that this is just part of the constant erosion of values in our country. We seem to let little things go and soon we have a snowball rolling down a mountain. If a player wishes to exercise his constitutional rights, let them do it on their own time.

It has nothing to do with being "politically correct" but about values and respect. Instead of disrespecting our national anthem in front of a national/world audience, the NFL should just stop playing the anthem at games and their faux support of our country.

We have certainly come a long way from the unity we saw that started on September 12, 2001.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:12 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm also a veteran and I understand what you are saying here. But it seems to me that this is just part of the constant erosion of values in our country. We seem to let little things go and soon we have a snowball rolling down a mountain. If a player wishes to exercise his constitutional rights, let them do it on their own time.

It has nothing to do with being "politically correct" but about values and respect. Instead of disrespecting our national anthem in front of a national/world audience, the NFL should just stop playing the anthem at games and their faux support of our country.

We have certainly come a long way from the unity we saw that started on September 12, 2001.
Oy...

1. "If a player wishes to exercise his constitutional rights, let them do it on their own time."
With that mentality, desegregation and progress would have come MUCH slower. I can't think of one single protest that didn't rub some people the wrong way or come at other people's "approval", so really, what are you trying to say here?

2. Tell me how it's disrespecting the anthem. It is not mandatory to stand. It is not mandatory to put your hand over your heart. There is no rule stating that you MUST see the national anthem as the most important song you'll ever hear. Those are the only ways you will truly "disrespect" the anthem. Also, these players aren't burning or standing on the flag, yet some of you are acting as if it's the same thing.

3. WHAT unity? When has this country ever truly been united? You honestly think that 9/11 brought ALL of us together? Why don't you ask your born and raised American Muslim friends how included they felt that day. And hell, there's division with Sept. 11th in another form in that many people still believe the government was behind it all. This country has never... NEVER been 100% arm-in-arm on anything. Not even the events that took place 15 years ago.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Instead of disrespecting our national anthem in front of a national/world audience, the NFL should just stop playing the anthem at games and their faux support of our country.
Thank you!

I've been pounding the table about the whole pay for tribute fiasco that the NFL got caught with last season. The NFL owners and management are a bunch of phonies.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:21 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
If that idiot Goodell can't make me stop watching football (NFL), nothing will. I love the sport too much to stop watching it, even with all of the rule changes and off the field stories.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 AM

6,600 posts, read 10,664,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'd be more willing to protest because of all the forced commercial breaks to watch the same 3 commercials over and over and over for 3 hours plus for a game that should flow much faster.

The issue with the National Anthem is a non-issue to me. This is tabloid rubbish. I don't care who sits or stands during the anthem or for what reason. That's not why I watch a football game. Sports should be an escape from politics and faux-nationalism, especially since in most cases, as with the NFL, there should be no intersection.
I agree.

I don't turn the game on until even a few minutes after opening kick-off, no pre-game show, no game introductions.

While of course everyone has the right to free speech, personally I pay no attention to athletes, or any type of entertainer for that matter, when it comes to important or unimportant social, political or even intellectual issues, I just want to be entertained for a while.

Indeed, I am more concerned about the exaggerated length of the games, night games three nights a week - all for commercial purposes -, and serious injuries to players, especially life-long injuries (I appreciate the game, the strategies, and the entertainment, but I do not want to see one human being get hurt for that purpose).

I have already quit watching night games, except the rare Saturday night game toward the end of the season, the pre-game shows and pre-game introductions, as mentioned, and I limit myself to one Sunday 1PM EST game, maybe parts of the 4PM EST game (unless my hometown team plays at 4PM).

That works for me.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:06 AM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I agree.

I don't turn the game on until even a few minutes after opening kick-off, no pre-game show, no game introductions.

While of course everyone has the right to free speech, personally I pay no attention to athletes, or any type of entertainer for that matter, when it comes to important or unimportant social, political or even intellectual issues, I just want to be entertained for a while.

Indeed, I am more concerned about the exaggerated length of the games, night games three nights a week - all for commercial purposes -, and serious injuries to players, especially life-long injuries (I appreciate the game, the strategies, and the entertainment, but I do not want to see one human being get hurt for that purpose).

I have already quit watching night games, except the rare Saturday night game toward the end of the season, the pre-game shows and pre-game introductions, as mentioned, and I limit myself to one Sunday 1PM EST game, maybe parts of the 4PM EST game (unless my hometown team plays at 4PM).

That works for me.
So you're giving up on the NFL? You don't watch London games or the Pro Bowl to you?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:34 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'd be more willing to protest because of all the forced commercial breaks to watch the same 3 commercials over and over and over for 3 hours plus for a game that should flow much faster.

The issue with the National Anthem is a non-issue to me. This is tabloid rubbish. I don't care who sits or stands during the anthem or for what reason. That's not why I watch a football game. Sports should be an escape from politics and faux-nationalism, especially since in most cases, as with the NFL, there should be no intersection.
Read what you just posted: I might agree with you except you contradict yourself: you say you don't care who sits and who stands, but you also say sports should be an escape: well if a player decides to not stand he is bringing his politics to the field. So what you are really saying is: it goes just one way.

To be honest, yes, they have every right because we have a great country to protest, but that doesn't make it right nor is it the place to protest. If these players continue to act like babies we are going to have a huge mess on our hands.

I do agree with you on the commercials and yes, the games are running too long.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So...

The repeated instances of domestic abuse (Rice, Manziel, many others)... the rape charges and allegations (Roethlisberger, many others)... beating a child bloody with a stick (Peterson)... dog fighting (Vick)... murder (Lewis)... you could tolerate those.

But sitting down during the national anthem? That's just a bridge too far?
I don't think anyone is saying what you are interpreting them as saying. I personally have no use for any of the people you are mentioning. All of it shows how we worship our entertainers. I think the OP is saying:this is the icing on the cake, not that he doesn't care about domestic violence.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:55 AM

6,600 posts, read 10,664,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
So you're giving up on the NFL? You don't watch London games or the Pro Bowl to you?
No, I haven't given up.

I watch the London game when my hometown team plays, but otherwise no. I don't mind the concept of the London games, but the early morning Sunday time rarely works for me. Maybe Saturday afternoon (nighttime in London) would be better?

But I think the NFL avoids Saturday games so as not to conflict with college football, except at the very end of the season and by then college football has mostly concluded anyway.

But why not Friday night games instead of Thursday?

I have never watched the Pro Bowl game, not even as a child; well, maybe once.

With YouTube and other internet-based media nowadays, it is easy to watch even extended highlights of all the games several hours after their conclusion. There is a wide variety of providers, official or not, some with and some without commentators.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

8,761 posts, read 7,689,871 times
nmnita is correct. I'm disgusted by most professional sports and have given up on most. Crazy high salaries, ticket prices and concession prices that put attending games out of reach for the average guy, constant commercials on TV during the games, and then the media treating these folks like they are gods. Add to that the lack of consistent officiating. In the NFL, the receivers seem like they have to almost be assaulted before anyone will throw a flag and call pass interference.

And its disgust with the system in general in professional sports

NBA. Lax adherence to the rules and star system officiating? It doesn't even look like what the basketball I used to play. No interest.

MLB: 4 hour games? like watching paint dry. Sitting and sweating in the hot sun if you go to the game. NO.

NASCAR: Left turn, repeat, repeat? No way.

The only thing I really like to watch when it comes to professional sports anymore is College Football. Also, believe it or not, Professional cycling is actually very interesting to watch. All kinds of strategy going on. And in all cases, the players aren't being paid crazy high salaries, and therefore, average folks can go and attend the events. I also like professional golf, but not to watch on TV in most cases. Attending the tournament is much more fun, even if its not the last day.

The sports I mentioned also have the advantage in that a player only makes money if he produces. None of this nonsense of long term contracts, and then guys slacking off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or