U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,502 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Reputation: 11415

Advertisements

You know what - after listening to the anthem, and noting the coverage and long camera shots of the kneelers, I am boycotting 49ers broadcasts.

I'll start there.

I am pondering about ESPN and the selective political stances they take.

 
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,722 posts, read 4,797,045 times
Reputation: 2216
I agree. It's taking away from the performer of the national anthem and the guys who are paying due respect.
I really wish they just wouldn't show the kneelers and the fisters. Ignore them.
 
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
It amazes me.

The NFL has had several criminals in the locker room, willingly ignored the health concerns of the players, won't spend the billions of dollars on finding new equipment/helmets to prevent concussions, makes cities and taxpayers pay for their stadiums when pretty much all the owners are billionaires... and THIS is what makes you want to stop watching football? Because a handful of players wont stand for the national anthem while YOU totally overlook the reasons why they're standing and bringing the military up when this isn't and never was about the military at all?

Outside of football, your elected officials (both Dems and Republicans) have voted down benefits for the veterans that you all seem to care so much for.

I'm sick of people treating their opinions as if they were facts...
 
Old 09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,502 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Reputation: 11415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It amazes me.

The NFL has had several criminals in the locker room, willingly ignored the health concerns of the players, won't spend the billions of dollars on finding new equipment/helmets to prevent concussions, makes cities and taxpayers pay for their stadiums when pretty much all the owners are billionaires... and THIS is what makes you want to stop watching football? Because a handful of players wont stand for the national anthem while YOU totally overlook the reasons why they're standing and bringing the military up when this isn't and never was about the military at all?

Outside of football, your elected officials (both Dems and Republicans) have voted down benefits for the veterans that you all seem to care so much for.

I'm sick of people treating their opinions as if they were facts...
Can't argue with that.

I think what makes this different is this we are being dragged into this discussion. When a player commits a crime, there is no personal attachment. With this, there is a personal attachment... and that's what he wants. He wants people to talk about it. So I guess that now that he has my attention, I am responding by saying he needs to handle this in a different manner.

It seems more serious than the other criminal activity because I was an outsider in those cases... now I am engaged. And to be fair, the league deals with much of that activity through suspensions and fines. The 49er LB who beat up the old person last week lost his job.

I am not saying you are wrong... I am saying it is what it is.

At the end of the day, just like CK, I have the right to be "irrational".
 
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can't argue with that.

I think what makes this different is this we are being dragged into this discussion. When a player commits a crime, there is no personal attachment. With this, there is a personal attachment... and that's what he wants. He wants people to talk about it. So I guess that now that he has my attention, I am responding by saying he needs to handle this in a different manner.
I keep seeing and hearing this.

HOW? How does he handle it in a different manner? No matter what he does on this topic, people will always complain.
 
Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,816 posts, read 6,642,259 times
Reputation: 5326
Hi as somebody who doesn't know anything about your sport (I am in the UK and we don't really have American football here) I wonder if you could answer two questions for me (sorry if they are probably very obvious questions to you guys)
Firstly what is the difference between NFL and college football?
Secondly why do you play your national anthem before every game?


Oh and a third question, what do you think about the games they keep sending to London? I imagine that this really p*sses off the clubs fans over there? Instead we should have our own league for the folks here that like your version of football like you have the MLS for the folks there that have an interest for our type of football.
 
Old 09-14-2016, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,327 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Reputation: 33512
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hi as somebody who doesn't know anything about your sport (I am in the UK and we don't really have American football here) I wonder if you could answer two questions for me (sorry if they are probably very obvious questions to you guys)
Firstly what is the difference between NFL and college football?
Secondly why do you play your national anthem before every game?


Oh and a third question, what do you think about the games they keep sending to London? I imagine that this really p*sses off the clubs fans over there? Instead we should have our own league for the folks here that like your version of football like you have the MLS for the folks there that have an interest for our type of football.
most people are very happy about the London NFL games and are eager to share the sport with the world...many of our club fans are even practicing their clever chants and songs, here's one example of the club fans from Green Bay, Wisconsin performing their club's official dance...

 
Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,816 posts, read 6,642,259 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
most people are very happy about the London NFL games and are eager to share the sport with the world...many of our club fans are even practicing their clever chants and songs, here's one example of the club fans from Green Bay, Wisconsin performing their club's official dance...

That's a bit 'cringeworthy' :-), what about my other questions (I know they probably sound a bit stupid to you), personally I wouldn't be very happy if my team was forced to play a league game in another country, in fact I would be livid, don't you think it would be better to form an independent UK league? It might increase interest in the sport if 'locals' had their own team to support? Is the MLS growing because it is an American league with American clubs?
 
Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,463 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Reputation: 16165
I am not a big fan of what Kaep is doing, it is not solving the problem it is just widening the divide. But if you really are going to use this as a reason to stop watching football then you weren't much of a fan to begin with.
 
Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am not a big fan of what Kaep is doing, it is not solving the problem it is just widening the divide. But if you really are going to use this as a reason to stop watching football then you weren't much of a fan to begin with.
I think the wide divide has always existed, now with social media, there is just no more hiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top