U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think the wide divide has always existed, now with social media, there is just no more hiding it.

All of it.

Just imagine if we had Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and all back in the 50s...

Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 AM

28,446 posts, read 15,432,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I keep seeing and hearing this.

HOW? How does he handle it in a different manner? No matter what he does on this topic, people will always complain.
He could wear a Jim McMahon headband. He made a million dollar donation somewhere - that's a good thing. He has influence in the SF area... he could start a conversation there on a smaller scale and have a greater influence on those whom he encounters. Be creative. Be constructive... don't be destructive. He could also protest on his own time, and not while he is on the job in his working uniform.

I would like to know at what level he becomes satisfied. There's no tangible goal as to when things are better. What's the goal? Better treatment of black people. What does that mean in a practical sense?

I have kids 22, 18, and 16 - so it's a concern for me as well. Who knows what situation they will encounter with police. All I can do is educate my kids and make sure they know how to handle themselves, and pray to the Lord they never get into a dangerous situation. 10 years ago I had two cops pointing their guns at me. The situation was a misunderstanding, but I had to do what they said and play it out until things got straightened out. I probably would have been shot if I had acted a fool. They were nervous... found out that the lady cop that was there has been on duty for less than a month. Her hands were shaking while pointing her gun at me. And this happened at my workplace, with me in business casual slacks and a nice shirt. I totally forgot about that event until I thought about my kids.

Anyway - I understand it's a problem. I don't agree with bringing the anthem into the issue as I believe it is divisive, and it takes for granted the privileges he has in this country that have been facilitated by people who defend the country... but it isn't the end of the world. Neither is my protest of 49er broadcasts the end of the world.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 09-15-2016 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am not a big fan of what Kaep is doing, it is not solving the problem it is just widening the divide. But if you really are going to use this as a reason to stop watching football then you weren't much of a fan to begin with.
That's not true.

It comes down to each person's value system. And when certain lines are crossed, it's time to make some changes. Or there are times when the line is crossed, and you forgive it, but then it happens again and more often. Do you just keep tolerating these breeches of your value system?

Were some dog lovers not a fan of football when they boycotted Michael Vick games? We heard from them on this forum.

Sports in general are becoming more political in the positions they take. So now they are crossing people's value boundaries. Should people put aside their values because they are a fan of the game? The NFL, NBA, NCAA, etc are no longer putting aside their values. Why should I or anyone else?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:05 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Maybe its time to protest the NFL, and quit watching?
Doggie Daddy sez NO.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's not true. (that Kaep's protest is increasing the divide)

It comes down to each person's value system. And when certain lines are crossed, it's time to make some changes. Or there are times when the line is crossed, and you forgive it, but then it happens again and more often. Do you just keep tolerating these breeches of your value system?

Were some dog lovers not a fan of football when they boycotted Michael Vick games? We heard from them on this forum.

Sports in general are becoming more political in the positions they take. So now they are crossing people's value boundaries. Should people put aside their values because they are a fan of the game? The NFL, NBA, NCAA, etc are no longer putting aside their values. Why should I or anyone else?
IMO it is true that what he is doing is increasing the divide. Look I'm no cop apologist, anyone familiar with my arguments with RetireCop and others here knows this. Yes this is still a very real problem that needs to be addressed. But we really didn't need Colin Kaepernick to draw it to our attention. The videos etc have made the papers, we get it.

But IMO the way to do deal with this problem is not to wear pigs on your socks. Like the racist cop who treats every AA as if he is a thug he just labeled every single officer a pig and that is wrong. As we have seen this simply pisses off the police at a time when we should all be working together on a solution.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
IMO it is true that what he is doing is increasing the divide. Look I'm no cop apologist, anyone familiar with my arguments with RetireCop and others here knows this. Yes this is still a very real problem that needs to be addressed. But we really didn't need Colin Kaepernick to draw it to our attention. The videos etc have made the papers, we get it.

But IMO the way to do deal with this problem is not to wear pigs on your socks. Like the racist cop who treats every AA as if he is a thug he just labeled every single officer a pig and that is wrong. As we have seen this simply pisses off the police at a time when we should all be working together on a solution.
What I was claiming not to be true was the second part about not being a fan in the first place (underlined below).

Quote:
I am not a big fan of what Kaep is doing, it is not solving the problem it is just widening the divide. But if you really are going to use this as a reason to stop watching football then you weren't much of a fan to begin with.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hi as somebody who doesn't know anything about your sport (I am in the UK and we don't really have American football here) I wonder if you could answer two questions for me (sorry if they are probably very obvious questions to you guys)
Firstly what is the difference between NFL and college football?
Secondly why do you play your national anthem before every game?

Oh and a third question, what do you think about the games they keep sending to London? I imagine that this really p*sses off the clubs fans over there? Instead we should have our own league for the folks here that like your version of football like you have the MLS for the folks there that have an interest for our type of football.
Sorry nobody replied to all of your questions. Here you go mate:

The NFL are professionals, college football is played by, wait for it, college players. In the NFL you have a team called the Detroit Lions, they are comprised of players who were drafted once they left college and earned a spot on the team. College football is, wait for it, played by college players, what you would call universities. Instead of Detroit you would have the University of Texas football team

As for the national anthem it's played at every pro and college game in the state, been that way forever. Apparently it started at baseball games during WWII and then made its way to other sports. I'm not the most patriotic guy in the world, and before a big game I would think the players just want it over with, but I like it and it is never a bad thing to stand and salute our nation. Some fans have had fun with it. Here in Maryland the locals love to scream "O" as the anthem sings "Oh say can you see..." It's a way of supporting the Baltimore Orioles, or O's as they are known here, a professional baseball team. I get a kick out of it, and so did Michael Phelps as you can see him laughing as some of his friends did it at the Olympics. But others think it's disrespectful

As for the game in London I'm cool with it and my team (Redskins) play over there this year. I like how our sport is becoming so popular around the world.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:12 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He could wear a Jim McMahon headband. He made a million dollar donation somewhere - that's a good thing. He has influence in the SF area... he could start a conversation there on a smaller scale and have a greater influence on those whom he encounters. Be creative. Be constructive... don't be destructive. He could also protest on his own time, and not while he is on the job in his working uniform.
What you miss is that it doesn't matter what he does or where he does it... there will STILL opposition. The point of a protest is to get people is to get people to notice and talk, and this has happened. The only people who see this as "destructive" are the same people who don't want to talk and think everything is fine. It's the same people who look at this country through "Mayberry Glassess".

Quote:

I would like to know at what level he becomes satisfied. There's no tangible goal as to when things are better. What's the goal? Better treatment of black people. What does that mean in a practical sense?
The goal is better treatment for everyone... NOT getting shot when you have your hands up and laying in the street or fully complying by pulling out your wallet... not having your land taken over because people don't care enough about it to drill a pipeline through it... Not having people completely ignore all that goes on and want to silence those who speak out against the oppression that many people still face today.

Quote:
Anyway - I understand it's a problem. I don't agree with bringing the anthem into the issue as I believe it is divisive, and it takes for granted the privileges he has in this country that have been facilitated by people who defend the country... but it isn't the end of the world. Neither is my protest of 49er broadcasts the end of the world.
And I don't agree with people who continuously bring our men and women in the military into this convo as leverage to their side of the argument when it has absolutely nothing to do with them. I don't believe in people using their "patriotism" to shame those into basically worshiping any and all things American, despite having many inequalities throughout...

Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
This is a lose lose situation really there are no winners. Some feel it is disrespectful, others don't, to keep harping on it isn't going to change it. Telling someone they should move because of their opinion isn't right either, far from it.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
Lol, very intelligent, well thought out rebuttal
About as intelligent and thought out as yours... which was nothing more than a recycled response of your own.

What makes the people seem racist or bigoted because they disagree is due to the fact that this is about police brutality (mostly against minorities) being swept under the rug. You may or may not be, but if you aren't racist, why take issue with what someone else calls you?

No one is forcing you to agree or even understand... and in all honesty, if you're just a regular, everyday person who has no authority or power to change what happens with the way law enforcement handles things or how people are able to live their lives, then quite frankly, your opinion means nothing... it's not really aimed at YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or