Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So...

The repeated instances of domestic abuse (Rice, Manziel, many others)... the rape charges and allegations (Roethlisberger, many others)... beating a child bloody with a stick (Peterson)... dog fighting (Vick)... murder (Lewis)... you could tolerate those.

But sitting down during the national anthem? That's just a bridge too far?
No, but it's ugly and disrespectful behavior at the game, in public. It has no place at a sporting event. And it accomplishes nothing other than exacerbating the divisive feelings in our country.

If the purpose is to stimulate debate a la BLM, these millionaires bravely sitting down have done nothing -- zero -- that adds to the discussion. We've talked the whole thing to death, anyway, and it doesn't seem to have helped much...

Chicago hits 500 homicides for 2016 after deadly Labor Day weekend

Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw this article today, and thought, maybe I should just give up on the whole mess of self important spoiled babies. Most of these guys have been treated special and better than most of us, and then they want to lecture us?

Seahawks players may expand national anthem protest Sunday vs Dolphins | KOMO
fail...you missed the chance of being outraged that the Broncos were led out of the tunnel by an Arab

Last edited by Ghengis; 09-08-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 06:34 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No, but it's ugly and disrespectful behavior at the game, in public. It has no place at a sporting event. And it accomplishes nothing other than exacerbating the divisive feelings in our country.

If the purpose is to stimulate debate a la BLM, these millionaires bravely sitting down have done nothing -- zero -- that adds to the discussion. We've talked the whole thing to death, anyway, and it doesn't seem to have helped much...

Chicago hits 500 homicides for 2016 after deadly Labor Day weekend
I heard there was some pro sports coach - can't remember who - that told his players that if they sat during the national anthem, they would be sitting the entire game.

I applaud that coach. The national anthem represents our country, the country that untold numbers of our men and women have died for. These players should respect that. If they insist on protesting, do it in another way.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I heard there was some pro sports coach - can't remember who - that told his players that if they sat during the national anthem, they would be sitting the entire game.

I applaud that coach. The national anthem represents our country, the country that untold numbers of our men and women have died for. These players should respect that. If they insist on protesting, do it in another way.
Those same men and women also died for the right to protest. Using that right to protest does honor the blood shed for this country IMO. 1st amendment protects speech people hate too.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:

Too bad there aren't more coaches like that.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-08-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 07:18 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Maybe its time to protest the NFL, and quit watching?
Nope. Not me.

We wait waaay too long each season to watch football again. I'm not going to allow the antics of a few immature, misinformed or misguided individuals -- who always think they have a cause -- take my pigskin time away. They don't seem to realize that living in America is what provides their current lofty livelihood.

I love football.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:

Different scenario.
That coach is John Tortorella,who is coaching the US World team in hockey.
The US team is representing the country, not under contract with the league.

Also those "untold numbers of our men and women have died" so that the right to protest continues to exist.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
I will say this. If too many players join in, I may rethink how I spend my time.

My dad fought 30 years for this country. They have right... I have a right.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
The national anthem represents our country, the country that untold numbers of our men and women have died for. These players should respect that. If they insist on protesting, do it in another way.
You don't speak for everyone and you don't determine what is represented by the anthem.

I'm a veteran and my wife still serves. She is up for deployment next year.

I believe every American should feel free to exercise his or her constitutional rights, which is what these players are doing.

It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with them.

I always stand up for the anthem and the pledge, but it doesn't bother me if some people don't. People in this country should feel free to do what makes them comfortable as long as they are not hurting anyone else. If you believe you are being harmed by someone else not standing up for the anthem, you need to take your own advice and stop being so "politically correct."

Old 09-08-2016, 10:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
fail...you missed the chance of being outraged that the Broncos were led out of the tunnel by an Arab
Too bad I can't give you another rep...

As for this thread, I STOPPED going to the P&OC thread because I wanted to keep my sanity. Why bring this here?

(Don't care if it's about the NFL. The issue you're complaining about is bigger than that...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football