U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:37 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,544,522 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a bit biased here in Denver but maybe the NFL should rethink these automatic first downs for certain defensive penalties such as holding or hands to the face. Yesterday's play was 4th and 22 and Chris Harris gets called for hands to face, a 5 yard penalty and automatic first down. Sure he committed the foul but was it that egregious that warranted an automatic first down.

I say raise the yardage to 10 yards but take out the automatic first down. The only defensive penalty that should result in automatic first down is unsportsmanlike conduct and pass interference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Sure he committed the foul but was it that egregious that warranted an automatic first down.
I get what youa are saying. This one was not that egregious. However, are we going to add even more to the officials plate now? Now the official has to determine if a hands to the face is egregious enough to be called a personal foul or egregious enough that it most definitley disrupted the receiver? This seems like a bad idea for a call that is really quite simple. Either the defender put his hands to the face or not. There is plenty of space on a 6'0" receiver, I'm sure a DB can find somewhere else to put their hands without too much difficulty.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 AM

1,661 posts, read 938,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I get what youa are saying. This one was not that egregious. However, are we going to add even more to the officials plate now? Now the official has to determine if a hands to the face is egregious enough to be called a personal foul or egregious enough that it most definitley disrupted the receiver? This seems like a bad idea for a call that is really quite simple. Either the defender put his hands to the face or not. There is plenty of space on a 6'0" receiver, I'm sure a DB can find somewhere else to put their hands without too much difficulty.

I wouldn't call it that simple. Remember the penalty Devin Taylor got for "facemasking" Aaron Rogers where Green Bay was able to come back in the last seconds and win the game?

Should Devin Taylor's facemask penalty on Aaron Rodgers be a reviewable play?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 AM

28,551 posts, read 15,494,856 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm a bit biased here in Denver but maybe the NFL should rethink these automatic first downs for certain defensive penalties such as holding or hands to the face. Yesterday's play was 4th and 22 and Chris Harris gets called for hands to face, a 5 yard penalty and automatic first down. Sure he committed the foul but was it that egregious that warranted an automatic first down.

I say raise the yardage to 10 yards but take out the automatic first down. The only defensive penalty that should result in automatic first down is unsportsmanlike conduct and pass interference.
I agree. But you want to make sure the defense does not purposely commit a foul when they know they have been beat.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I agree. But you want to make sure the defense does not purposely commit a foul when they know they have been beat.
We'll that would probably fall under pass interference and automatic first down would be warranted

Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 AM

3,113 posts, read 4,915,336 times
I have to say that this is the rule that I hate the most, and have hated for years.

What if offensive holding (or hands to the face or many other transgressions) resulted in an automatic 4th down regardless of the down? That would be outrageous.

When teams have a third or fourth down and very long, they often try to draw a defensive penalty to get the first down. I think the offense should have to earn the first down. Hands to the face? Ten yard penalty and repeat the down just as they would if the offense had committed the foul. The Panthers would have had 4th and 12 and another chance to earn the first down instead of having it handed to them.

The other rule I would love to see changed is the half the distance penalties. When a team is on their own five yard line, an offensive player can commit a foul knowing that the team will only get a 2 1/2 yard penalty regardless of the infraction. I say that in those cases, the penalty yardage should be added to the first down line to gain. If it is third down and 10 from the team's own five yard line and a player holds, then the first down line should be moved from the 15 yard line to the 25 yard line.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I have to say that this is the rule that I hate the most, and have hated for years.

What if offensive holding (or hands to the face or many other transgressions) resulted in an automatic 4th down regardless of the down? That would be outrageous.

When teams have a third or fourth down and very long, they often try to draw a defensive penalty to get the first down. I think the offense should have to earn the first down. Hands to the face? Ten yard penalty and repeat the down just as they would if the offense had committed the foul. The Panthers would have had 4th and 12 and another chance to earn the first down instead of having it handed to them.

The other rule I would love to see changed is the half the distance penalties. When a team is on their own five yard line, an offensive player can commit a foul knowing that the team will only get a 2 1/2 yard penalty regardless of the infraction. I say that in those cases, the penalty yardage should be added to the first down line to gain. If it is third down and 10 from the team's own five yard line and a player holds, then the first down line should be moved from the 15 yard line to the 25 yard line.
Holding in the end zone results in a safety.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM

28,551 posts, read 15,494,856 times
Quote:
We'll that would probably fall under pass interference and automatic first down would be warranted
It is only pass interference after the ball is released. What about if a receiver is held before the ball is thrown? That's defensive holding. On a 3rd and 20, you can take a chance that the ref won't see it - because if you get caught it's still third down.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It is only pass interference after the ball is released. What about if a receiver is held before the ball is thrown? That's defensive holding. On a 3rd and 20, you can take a chance that the ref won't see it - because if you get caught it's still third down.
Defensive holding should 10 yards and replay down over. No automatic first down.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM

3,113 posts, read 4,915,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Holding in the end zone results in a safety.
Holding on the one yard line results in a half the distance penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or