Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,606,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Makes sense when you put it that way but that's a pretty broken system either way, just like many broken things in the NFL. With how much an NFL team can change from year to year - I think each team in the division should play the same teams - no? Now the Cowboys, who are easily the best team in the division, also have the easiest schedule in the division.
I think you are missing the point that 7 times out of 10, the lesser team that finished in 3rd or 4th place will have an easier schedule than the team that finished first the previous year. Is it a perfect system? No, but it's pretty fair IMO and works the way it is attended to work the majority of the time.

I like that their are two games that are different from the common division opponents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,800,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It's embarrassing that you have to ask to be honest. NFL scheduling has been no secret for going on 10 plus years now.

Oddly, there is always someone who complains every year.
yep, the NFL has a scheduling blueprint they follow each season. each teams schedule is set depending on where they finished at the end of the last season.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,676,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It's embarrassing that you have to ask to be honest. NFL scheduling has been no secret for going on 10 plus years now.

Oddly, there is always someone who complains every year.
I mean it's not embarrassing actually. I asked because I didn't know - plain and simple. No need to be rude. I don't follow NFL much outside of the Eagles because there are too many dumb rules and too many penalties.

Now that it is explained, I understand the reasoning, but it's still flawed.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM

23,767 posts, read 29,009,781 times
Quote:
I mean it's not embarrassing actually. I asked because I didn't know - plain and simple. No need to be rude. I don't follow NFL much outside of the Eagles because there are too many dumb rules and too many penalties.

Now that it is explained, I understand the reasoning, but it's still flawed.

I'd like to know why my team doesn't get to play the Browns, other teams get to play the Browns

Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM

45,498 posts, read 27,111,703 times
Quote:
Can anybody tell me how the Cowboys got the easiest schedule in the division?

Every team in the NFC East plays the same team except for two.

The Cowboys play the Buccaneers and the 49ers. A combined 4-9.
The Giants play the Saints and the Rams. A combined 5-8.
The Redskins play the Cardinals and the Panthers. A combined 4-8-1
The Eagles play the Seahawks and the Falcons. A combined 8-4-1.

What kind of BS is that? The Eagles definitely got the hardest schedule, followed by the Redskins and the Giants. The Cowboys definitely got the easiest schedule.
Cardinals and Carolina won the their divisions last year. This year they aren't doing well.

Bucs and Niners were in last place with the Cowboys last year.

Seahawks and Falcons were 2nd in their division last year, as were the Eagles. That's why they play each other this year. It has nothing to do with this year's records.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:06 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,454,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd like to know why my team doesn't get to play the Browns, other teams get to play the Browns
I think we should be able to play the Browns every week!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:09 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,454,195 times
This should clear up how the scheduling works:

Here’s how each team’s opponents are set:
  • Every team plays six games against the other three teams in its division, facing off twice per season — once at home and once on the road.
The NFL's scheduling formula ensures that all teams will play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
  • Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road. Which division a team plays is determined by a rotation system ensuring that the teams in one division will play the teams in every other division in its conference once every three years.
  • Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference once per season — two games at home and two on the road. These matchups are also determined by a rotation, which ensures that all teams play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
  • Every team plays its remaining two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and the other on the road. The matchups are determined by where the teams finished in their divisions in the previous season. For example, a team that finished the previous year in third place in its division will play the third-place teams from the two other divisions in its conference.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,676,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Cardinals and Carolina won the their divisions last year. This year they aren't doing well.

Bucs and Niners were in last place with the Cowboys last year.

Seahawks and Falcons were 2nd in their division last year, as were the Eagles. That's why they play each other this year. It has nothing to do with this year's records.
I understand that now after 12 different people have explained it hahaha. Obviously I knew it didn't have anything to do with this years records as the schedules are made before the beginning of the season. I just think it would make more sense to have each team in the division play the same teams in any given year. Not play the same team EVERY year, obviously switch it up... but with how football teams can change so drastically from year to year, the previous years record shouldn't have any bearing on who they play this year.

Thanks though

Old 10-24-2016, 03:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,636,958 times
Quote:
I understand that now after 12 different people have explained it hahaha. Obviously I knew it didn't have anything to do with this years records as the schedules are made before the beginning of the season. I just think it would make more sense to have each team in the division play the same teams in any given year. Not play the same team EVERY year, obviously switch it up... but with how football teams can change so drastically from year to year, the previous years record shouldn't have any bearing on who they play this year.

Thanks though
Each team play against two unique opponents. The rest of the schedule remains the same.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM

45,498 posts, read 27,111,703 times
I think we need to go over it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football