U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:23 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,191,810 times

Advertisements

Giants - 2-0 - technically in first place
Eagles - 2-0
Cowboys 1-1
Redskins 0-2

Are the Redskins just off to a bad start or are they a bad team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,226,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Giants - 2-0 - technically in first place
Eagles - 2-0
Cowboys 1-1
Redskins 0-2

Are the Redskins just off to a bad start or are they a bad team?
If you look at the talent that is on this team, I don't see how the Redskins can be a bad team? Look how loaded they are in skilled positions on the offensive side of the ball. They have an over abundance of receivers that can torch you. Jackson is probably the fasted receiver in the league. Crowder can slip past you, Reed is a beast, and Josh Doctson looks like he has the potential of being a big threat. Then you got guys like Pierre Garcon who can make those hard catches while taking a beating. Matt Jones who has shown flashes of being a beast at running back, and Chris Thompson who is a very speedy third down back. The biggest question mark is one we thought we had an answer for - quarterback! Kirk Cousins has so much talent around him that there is absolutely no excuse for him to have regressed. Jason Campbell could probably look like a hall of fame quarterback with this load of talent around him on offense.

Then you have guys like Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Breshad Breeland, and Su' Cravens. There's talent that has either proven to be big time talent or going to be big time talent on defense. There's obvious holes that still need to be addressed, but my long winded point is that there is enough talent that a good head coach can win with this team, despite Cousin's regression.

I think it comes down to coaching. Why would you not move Josh Norman around for him to line up against the #1 threat receiver? Why would you not do some more run blitzing to stop the run if you feel you're THAT talented in the secondary? Take some chances, force the other team to pass on you!

And on offense, if your QB is struggling, you need to run the ball more. You need to run it at least 25+ per game. The 'skins are averaging about 15 carries a ball game. That is not a balanced offense. They need to start controlling the clock and running the rock. This will just make the passing game that much more deadlier once Cousins has gotten over his little slump.

I know you asked a simple question, but it really isn't a simple answer. It's a bad team if it continues to be coached in the manner it is being coached. It can be a good team with some adjustments, but those adjustments need to be made now. Going 0-3 will spell the end of their season.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
I still think the Redskins may be the 2nd best team in the division. I thought the Giants would be bad this year but they look like they turned this be around. Still got to see the Eagles against two teams nkt likely the worst in the NFL. But they mY be better than originLly thought too. Defense seems decent.

Redskins drew the toughest game out of any of the first 2 games for all four teams. But in an 0-2 hole, they need to get things going. The other teams will have to play Pittsburgh too and those will be losses on paper.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 PM

The 2-0 Eagles host the 2-0 Steelers on Sunday. We'll see if the Eagles are for real or not.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:08 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,172,492 times
Quote:
The 2-0 Eagles host the 2-0 Steelers on Sunday. We'll see if the Eagles are for real or not.
I don't think anyone thinks that the Eagles are good enough to beat the Steelers. But at least we now know that they can beat up on bad teams. Some teams can't even do that.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:49 PM

3,762 posts, read 3,800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If you look at the talent that is on this team, I don't see how the Redskins can be a bad team? Look how loaded they are in skilled positions on the offensive side of the ball. They have an over abundance of receivers that can torch you. Jackson is probably the fasted receiver in the league. Crowder can slip past you, Reed is a beast, and Josh Doctson looks like he has the potential of being a big threat. Then you got guys like Pierre Garcon who can make those hard catches while taking a beating. Matt Jones who has shown flashes of being a beast at running back, and Chris Thompson who is a very speedy third down back. The biggest question mark is one we thought we had an answer for - quarterback! Kirk Cousins has so much talent around him that there is absolutely no excuse for him to have regressed. Jason Campbell could probably look like a hall of fame quarterback with this load of talent around him on offense.

Then you have guys like Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Breshad Breeland, and Su' Cravens. There's talent that has either proven to be big time talent or going to be big time talent on defense. There's obvious holes that still need to be addressed, but my long winded point is that there is enough talent that a good head coach can win with this team, despite Cousin's regression.

I think it comes down to coaching. Why would you not move Josh Norman around for him to line up against the #1 threat receiver? Why would you not do some more run blitzing to stop the run if you feel you're THAT talented in the secondary? Take some chances, force the other team to pass on you!

And on offense, if your QB is struggling, you need to run the ball more. You need to run it at least 25+ per game. The 'skins are averaging about 15 carries a ball game. That is not a balanced offense. They need to start controlling the clock and running the rock. This will just make the passing game that much more deadlier once Cousins has gotten over his little slump.

I know you asked a simple question, but it really isn't a simple answer. It's a bad team if it continues to be coached in the manner it is being coached. It can be a good team with some adjustments, but those adjustments need to be made now. Going 0-3 will spell the end of their season.
That's a bit homerish. The Redskins have a horrible defense, they did last year, and they still do this year. I'm not sold at all on Cousins yet either.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,226,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
That's a bit homerish. The Redskins have a horrible defense, they did last year, and they still do this year. I'm not sold at all on Cousins yet either.
Narrow-minded statement.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 AM

1,195 posts, read 2,521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

I agree- I'm a die hard skins fan since 1982, and cousins is terrible (underthrowing/overthrowing the receivers) , so is coaching (lack of making any adjustments) , and defense (other than Norman and Kerrigan who else is there?)-

This will be a 3-13 season (wins over Lions, Bears and Browns), or maybe 5-11 at best (which includes at least beating the cowboys/eagles or giants once)

Sorry

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I agree- I'm a die hard skins fan since 1982, and cousins is terrible (underthrowing/overthrowing the receivers) , so is coaching (lack of making any adjustments) , and defense (other than Norman and Kerrigan who else is there?)-

This will be a 3-13 season (wins over Lions, Bears and Browns), or maybe 5-11 at best (which includes at least beating the cowboys/eagles or giants once)

Sorry
So after winning the division last year, you believe that they will win 3-5 games this year. WOW.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,126,765 times
Quote:
So after winning the division last year, you believe that they will win 3-5 games this year. WOW.

2012 - 10-6 Win NFC East
2013 - 3-13

2015 - 9-7 Win NFC East
2016 - currently 0-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or