U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 PM

252 posts, read 386,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree, the cowboys do need to open up the playbook a lot more than they are now.

true enough, but they are still only having one back in the game at a time. imagine if they had say blunt and ajay in the game at the same time. who do defenses key in then?
I agree, when I saw the trade happening I am like Eagles are building an SB caliber team for sure. I can't wait for the draft as my Giants are positioned well for a solid pick. Hope to get Rosen at a 2nd or 3rd spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 02:09 PM

32,507 posts, read 26,398,194 times
i agree that the eagles have built a solid team for sure, but it didnt happen over night. it took a few seasons to get where they are today. and the giants have that problem right now. they will get a few good picks in the next draft, but it will take a few seasons before they are back to where they need to be, unless they can pick up some good players either in free agency, or in the post draft time.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,198,301 times
...and that starts with a young quarterback.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,242,878 times
I have to say, this isn't necessarily just an NFC East statement, but an NFL statement as a whole. I think we're slowly starting to see that while this league has been a quarterback driven league, we're starting to see running backs becoming more and more important (again) to the offense. Defenses eventually learn how to shut down passing offenses, so you have to go back on the ground. I think the read option has also helped to institute a better, more balanced running game for teams. Which is why you see Philly making moves for running backs, and of course, the Cowboys being loaded up with backs. (Give us Morris back will ya?)

Old 11-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
...and that starts with a young quarterback.
actually no it doesnt. see my response below

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have to say, this isn't necessarily just an NFC East statement, but an NFL statement as a whole. I think we're slowly starting to see that while this league has been a quarterback driven league, we're starting to see running backs becoming more and more important (again) to the offense. Defenses eventually learn how to shut down passing offenses, so you have to go back on the ground. I think the read option has also helped to institute a better, more balanced running game for teams. Which is why you see Philly making moves for running backs, and of course, the Cowboys being loaded up with backs. (Give us Morris back will ya?)
first off no you cant have morris back

where the good offenses actually start is upfront with a solid offensive line. the best quarterbacks and the best running backs cant do anything if the offensive line is letting the team down. want to stop the running game? get penetration into the back field and stop the run there.

want to stop the passing game? get penetration into the back field and chase the quarterback down and make him throw an ill advised pass. however put together a solid well oiled offensive line, and suddenly the running game gets it legs. the offensive line opens the holes for the running back to fire through into the secondary, and suddenly they are getting 4-5 years per carry. that same offensive line also gives the quarterback time to go through his reads, find the open receiver and get the ball to them.

last night when the cowboys beat the chiefs, they got pressure on the running game, and they got pressure on smith and made him throw passes he normally would not throw, partly to avoid the sack, partly because he though he could throw into the small window, partly because he didnt see the extra defensive back.

so start with the offensive line, and everything else starts to fall into place.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:44 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,198,301 times
Quote:
actually no it doesnt. see my response below

first off no you cant have morris back

where the good offenses actually start is upfront with a solid offensive line. the best quarterbacks and the best running backs cant do anything if the offensive line is letting the team down. want to stop the running game? get penetration into the back field and stop the run there.

want to stop the passing game? get penetration into the back field and chase the quarterback down and make him throw an ill advised pass. however put together a solid well oiled offensive line, and suddenly the running game gets it legs. the offensive line opens the holes for the running back to fire through into the secondary, and suddenly they are getting 4-5 years per carry. that same offensive line also gives the quarterback time to go through his reads, find the open receiver and get the ball to them.

last night when the cowboys beat the chiefs, they got pressure on the running game, and they got pressure on smith and made him throw passes he normally would not throw, partly to avoid the sack, partly because he though he could throw into the small window, partly because he didnt see the extra defensive back.

so start with the offensive line, and everything else starts to fall into place.
When you have 1 win AND a 37 year old QB, any rebuilding project begins with a young QB.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 PM

2,125 posts, read 4,323,392 times
Quote:
When you have 1 win AND a 37 year old QB, any rebuilding project begins with a young QB.
^^^^ Totally agree with this. ^^^^ No NFL team wins without a good to great QB (SEE: Houston Texans, Philly, Dallas, LA)

One big problem with the NYG is their talent evaluation and priorities and that is a front office issue. They (NYG FO) tried to lay it off an Coughlin who promptly went to Jacksonville and in 2 years have them starting to kick some serious NFL butt.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
that depends on that 37 year old quarterback. since you are likely talking about eli manning, then you are right, you do nee a quarterback, but instead of picking one first, you can wait until the fourth round, remember where prescott got picked? but you first need an offensive line to support anything else you do on offense.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM

252 posts, read 386,503 times
Quote:
that depends on that 37 year old quarterback. since you are likely talking about eli manning, then you are right, you do nee a quarterback, but instead of picking one first, you can wait until the fourth round, remember where prescott got picked? but you first need an offensive line to support anything else you do on offense.
Giants will certainly draft a QB with the draft position, You shouldn't waste top 5 picks for OL. What Reese needs to do is trade down for OL around 15th pick or higher.

We also need a solid LB which can be picked up in the 2nd and another WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,242,878 times
Eli Manning has never been hurt. He's never missed a game. He's a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback. Eli can easily play until he's 40. I wouldn't necessarily draft a QB in the first round. I'd build the offensive line and get a running back. You draft a young buck and throw him in there, he's going to get eaten up. Look at the defenses he has to face twice a year: Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys. You need someone you can sit for a year or two until he's ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or