U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 2,199,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't know all the details with Eli Manning's contract, but I think if he really wants to stay in New York, he could easily rework his contract to free up money to sign other players, so I don't think that would be a big concern in the grand scheme of things. You know what you have in Eli, you don't know what you'd have with any of the up coming draftees. For some teams, it takes years to find that right quarterback. Before Manning came to town, the Giants went through several faceless quarterbacks, with the exception of Kerry Collins, who did get them to one Super Bowl appearance. But, before Collins, the Giants didn't really have a franchise quarterback unless you go back to the Phil Simms days.

To me, it's kind of like having a car that's got 100,000 miles on it, but it has never been in an accident and you have taken really good care of the car and it runs like it's brand new. It can probably last you, easily, until 200k miles. Like Eli, he can easily last until he's 40 years old. That's about 3 more years that you could have a new QB sitting on the bench and learning behind a two time Super Bowl champion, and 3 years that you can take to rebuild the team. By the time Eli is done, you have a QB who should be ready to start and have a solid team around him to help him succeed. Getting rid of Eli, you then throw that young buck into the fire from the get-go, with a team that needs to be rebuilt around him. You're setting him up for failure.
You mean like Carson Wentz who was immediately thrown into the fire after Sam Bradford was traded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Pro Football Talk is saying that the Giants will be scouting college QB's.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,245,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
You mean like Carson Wentz who was immediately thrown into the fire after Sam Bradford was traded.
Sometimes it works, but most of the time, you ideally want your young QB to ride the bench for a year or two and learn before you throw him to the wolves. Such as what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. There are far more examples of how throwing a rookie QB in the fire doesn't work than when it does. And even if he does have early success, it's sustainable success that you really want to have, not a one hit wonder of a season. Wentz has definitely had a great year, and the Eagles definitely look to be the best team in the league right now, but the season isn't over yet, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Sometimes it works, but most of the time, you ideally want your young QB to ride the bench for a year or two and learn before you throw him to the wolves. Such as what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. There are far more examples of how throwing a rookie QB in the fire doesn't work than when it does. And even if he does have early success, it's sustainable success that you really want to have, not a one hit wonder of a season. Wentz has definitely had a great year, and the Eagles definitely look to be the best team in the league right now, but the season isn't over yet, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
The Giants will be scouting college QB's and they MIGHT be benching Manning soon.
In Washington, Cousins might be leaving after this year, so they will need a young QB. I don't know if he is on the roster yet, but if he isn't, then they might be looking for one also.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The Giants will be scouting college QB's and they MIGHT be benching Manning soon.
In Washington, Cousins might be leaving after this year, so they will need a young QB. I don't know if he is on the roster yet, but if he isn't, then they might be looking for one also.

That's fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with scouting college QBs. Do you think New England refused to scout college quarterbacks a few years ago when they drafted Jimmy G? Heck no! That's why they drafted him. That doesn't mean the Giants should bench Eli. I just think it's a huge mistake if the Giants bench Eli for the new guy and do nothing to build the team around him. That's a recipe for disaster.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with scouting college QBs. Do you think New England refused to scout college quarterbacks a few years ago when they drafted Jimmy G? Heck no! That's why they drafted him. That doesn't mean the Giants should bench Eli. I just think it's a huge mistake if the Giants bench Eli for the new guy and do nothing to build the team around him. That's a recipe for disaster.

And no, the Redskins don't have a young, drafted QB on their squad. They only dress two QBs, and the only over QB on the team is Colt McCoy. After San Fran making the deal to get Jimmy Garapolo, I think the chances of Cousins staying in Washington has improved, at least slightly. So many people want Cousins to sign with any other team other than Washington, and I think a lot of those people are going to be disappointed when he signs with Washington.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM

252 posts, read 386,626 times
Quote:
And no, the Redskins don't have a young, drafted QB on their squad. They only dress two QBs, and the only over QB on the team is Colt McCoy. After San Fran making the deal to get Jimmy Garapolo, I think the chances of Cousins staying in Washington has improved, at least slightly. So many people want Cousins to sign with any other team other than Washington, and I think a lot of those people are going to be disappointed when he signs with Washington.
Jacksonville will be fishing for strong QB as they have everything in place except QB

Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM

252 posts, read 386,626 times
Quote:
If MacAdoodoo bench Eli there is a great chance he may be asking to move to Jacksonville to reunite with Tom Coughlin

Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM

32,521 posts, read 26,415,828 times
Quote:
and wentz has stepped up, just liek prescott did last season, and is doing this season.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Jacksonville will be fishing for strong QB as they have everything in place except QB
You also have to look at who would have the cap money to sign Cousins. He isn't going to come cheap, and it's not out of the question that the 'skins would franchise him a third time. I don't know about the cap space for Jacksonville. San Fran will probably give JG a long term contract, so you have to look at the other teams who could bid for Cousins' services (Arizona, New York Jets, maybe even Denver.)

I think depending on how the rest of the season goes for the Redskins - if they get hot and somehow are able to get into the playoffs AND win a playoff game, I can see Cousins easily wanting to stay in Washington. He's already said he wants to stay, but of course, that could be just talk. But if he goes anywhere else, he has to learn a whole new system, and I think that works in the Redskins' favor.

I really see Eli being more likely to go to Jacksonville than anywhere else, unless it is Denver. Which would be interesting! Eli following in his brother's footsteps to end his career on the same team his brother did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or