U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,931,415 times

Advertisements

Zeke suspension back on. He will miss:

Falcons
Eagles
Chargers
Redskins
Giants
Raiders

Huge blow for the Cowboys as they're just starting to turn it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM

32,460 posts, read 26,332,322 times
not as big a blow as you might think. remember that morris, smith, and mcfadden will be sharing the load of the running game. and if the cowboys open up the playbook, then elliots loss will be further mitigated. also remember dallas still has that great offensive line, and they are the real key to a good running game.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:48 PM

3,151 posts, read 2,193,588 times
The Eagles lead the NFL in run defense giving up just 66 yards per game.
Tim Jernigan signed a 4 year extension.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:42 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't know all the details with Eli Manning's contract, but I think if he really wants to stay in New York, he could easily rework his contract to free up money to sign other players, so I don't think that would be a big concern in the grand scheme of things. You know what you have in Eli, you don't know what you'd have with any of the up coming draftees. For some teams, it takes years to find that right quarterback. Before Manning came to town, the Giants went through several faceless quarterbacks, with the exception of Kerry Collins, who did get them to one Super Bowl appearance. But, before Collins, the Giants didn't really have a franchise quarterback unless you go back to the Phil Simms days.

To me, it's kind of like having a car that's got 100,000 miles on it, but it has never been in an accident and you have taken really good care of the car and it runs like it's brand new. It can probably last you, easily, until 200k miles. Like Eli, he can easily last until he's 40 years old. That's about 3 more years that you could have a new QB sitting on the bench and learning behind a two time Super Bowl champion, and 3 years that you can take to rebuild the team. By the time Eli is done, you have a QB who should be ready to start and have a solid team around him to help him succeed. Getting rid of Eli, you then throw that young buck into the fire from the get-go, with a team that needs to be rebuilt around him. You're setting him up for failure.
Yep. Anyone remember Kent Graham, Dave Brown, and Danny Kannel? Ugh.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sometimes you find gems from the smaller schools, and they tend to go later in the draft because they are not as well known s guys like goff and wentz. and its true wentz is doing quite well, goff, not so much. derrick carr went in the second round. but if you look back in history, many of the best quarterbacks went in the later rounds, and some even went undrafted. my point here is that you dont always get the best in the first round, just the biggest name, and maybe the best college players. where is RGlll now? he went in the first round.

i tend to agree with this as well, eli is still a good quarterback, which is why the giants would be better off keeping him for now, and building the offense from the line first. a solid offensive line sets the tone for the offense. they open the running lanes, they protect the quarterback in the passing game, hopefully giving him the time to go through his progressions and get the ball to the receivers.
Wentz wasn't exactly known. Don't forget he went to North Dakota State; not a major football power--he was just scouted correctly (I guess) and that is why he went high. That guy this year could be Josh Allen from Wyoming. But that being said, they still miss on guys--Prescott went to a SEC school. They knew who he was (Heck, I knew who he was! Lol); a bunch of teams just misjudged him.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Wentz wasn't exactly known. Don't forget he went to North Dakota State; not a major football power--he was just scouted correctly (I guess) and that is why he went high. That guy this year could be Josh Allen from Wyoming. But that being said, they still miss on guys--Prescott went to a SEC school. They knew who he was (Heck, I knew who he was! Lol); a bunch of teams just misjudged him.
wentz was known well enough to get the cowboys interest up in him. and fortunately prescott was overlooked by everyone but the cowboys, and they kept their feelings secret.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
wentz was known well enough to get the cowboys interest up in him. and fortunately prescott was overlooked by everyone but the cowboys, and they kept their feelings secret.
A lot of teams had an interest in Wentz.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
Quote:
not as big a blow as you might think. remember that morris, smith, and mcfadden will be sharing the load of the running game. and if the cowboys open up the playbook, then elliots loss will be further mitigated. also remember dallas still has that great offensive line, and they are the real key to a good running game.

It's a huge blow. I think Dallas will win some of those six games, but I also think there is going to be an obvious void that those backs simply can't fill as effectively as Elliot.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM

3,151 posts, read 2,193,588 times
Quote:
It's a huge blow. I think Dallas will win some of those six games, but I also think there is going to be an obvious void that those backs simply can't fill as effectively as Elliot.
We will find out on Sunday at Atlanta.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
imo trading elliot for morris is like trading barry sanders for emmit smith. you have two running backs that are both very good, but have different running styles.
is it a blow to the team losing elliot? sure, is it a huge blow? i dont think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or