U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 AM

15,403 posts, read 5,221,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think the eagles would be foolish not to keep foles.
A thing called the "SALARY CAP" has wrecked many a super bowl champ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 AM

32,465 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
contracts can always be renegotiated if the player is willing.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't. Foles loves being in Philly, and is already very well paid for a back up. Carson Wentz will possibly not be able to start the season, so another QB may have to play the first three or four games. Also, Wentz is somewhat of a risky player, as he is mobile, and likes to run, hence his knee injury. It is possible, he will get hurt again, and the Eagles want a good back up. Plus, as you know, Foles is under contract next year, so the Eagles could do nothing, and just keep him. Yes, they will get trade offers for high round draft picks, which are tempting, but in the end, I think they will keep him.

No, no they can't. The final 3 years of his contract is void if he's still on the roster come February 2019, meaning, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Meaning, the Eagles would pass up an opportunity to get something for Foles, whose trade value is through the roof right now. The Eagles could possibly get a first rounder for him, or at least the picks back that they don't have in this year's draft. You think the Eagles would turn down that opportunity to pick up two players (maybe even more) who could come in and make an impact for this team, just for one player who would be headed back to the bench? And as far as Nick Foles goes, do you honestly think after winning the Super Bowl and being named MVP, that he would truly be OK heading back to the bench, making "backup pay" and never getting an opportunity to start for another team and continue building his own legacy? It's nice to think that Foles is such a humble guy (I don't doubt he is a humble guy), that he's willing to just accept that winning the Super Bowl and MVP honors in that Super Bowl is a one time opportunity for him and he's OK with not having that opportunity ever again, now that he knows he's capable of playing well in the post season? You gotta be insane to think he wouldn't want to go somewhere, get PAID, and be a starter. If a player doesn't want to start in the NFL, then he doesn't belong in the NFL. I truly believe Foles is headed somewhere else, and we'll know in the next few weeks where he lands.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:52 PM

15,403 posts, read 5,221,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
contracts can always be renegotiated if the player is willing.
Wrong thinking here. It's not the high priced ones that kill a team ,it's the young one year wonders that want super star money.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Most of the eagles players, including Nick Foles, are signed through the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Here are the free agents:
Eagles 2018 Free Agents: Who played their last game with Eagles as Super Bowl champions? | NJ.com

Most of them, like Bradham, Sproles, Graham, Robinson, Burton and Allen, I’d expect them to try to resign. Some of them are third string guys. Blount was only intended to be a one year stopgap/bandaid signing. Sturgis has already been replaced by Elliott. Majority of their key players are locked up for a couple more years.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Most of the eagles players, including Nick Foles, are signed through the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Here are the free agents:
Eagles 2018 Free Agents: Who played their last game with Eagles as Super Bowl champions? | NJ.com

Most of them, like Bradham, Sproles, Graham, Robinson, Burton and Allen, I’d expect them to try to resign. Some of them are third string guys. Blount was only intended to be a one year stopgap/bandaid signing. Sturgis has already been replaced by Elliott. Majority of their key players are locked up for a couple more years.
The rest of Nick Foles' contract is void if he is still on the roster, 23 days before the start of the new league year in 2019.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:31 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The rest of Nick Foles' contract is void if he is still on the roster, 23 days before the start of the new league year in 2019.
Yes, so they could keep him for the 2018 season.

As much as I’d love him to stick around since he is the quarterback to win our first Superbowl for us... I would be surprised if he wasn’t traded. Roseman is a magician when it comes to free agency. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Foles traded for like a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick or something along those lines.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 AM

17,749 posts, read 8,877,523 times
Quote:

As much as I’d love him to stick around since he is the quarterback to win our first Superbowl for us... I would be surprised if he wasn’t traded. Roseman is a magician when it comes to free agency. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Foles traded for like a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick or something along those lines.
I don't think the Eagles will risk the first part of the season without Wentz, by getting rid of Foles. Wentz is the future, but with his mobile style of play may be injury prone. If he goes down, you don't lose anything bringing in Foles.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:19 PM

32,465 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't think the Eagles will risk the first part of the season without Wentz, by getting rid of Foles. Wentz is the future, but with his mobile style of play may be injury prone. If he goes down, you don't lose anything bringing in Foles.
yep, remember RGlll?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
No, no, they can't keep him the entire 2018 season and expect to trade him afterward. Let me repeat what I said before. If Nick Foles is on the Eagles' roster 23 days (I believe it's 23 days. If not, it's 29 days) before the start of the new league year, then the last 3 years on his contract is automatically voided and he becomes an unrestricted free agent. The latest possible date that the Eagles could trade Foles away is during the 2018 season, which I believe is usually around week 9. I best, you keep him half of the 2018 season, but if he is sitting on the bench, then what does that do to his trade value? If you want the maximum trade value for Nick Foles, you trade him during this off-season/free agency period. Especially if you think you can get a first rounder for him. Teams may not be as desperate for a QB during the middle of the season, and they may not be in a position to offer as much at that point.

Case in point, with Jimmy Garoppolo. The Patriots pretty much gave him away for a lot less than what Cleveland was offering. Will probably prove to be a huge mistake on the Patriots part down the road.

The Eagles have missing draft picks in this year's draft. They can easily get those picks back by offering Foles up for a trade. Heck, they could probably get even more than those missing draft picks. But, I believe waiting until after free agency and the draft, if not waiting until the new season starts would be a mistake for the Eagles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or