Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I have no complaints about Dak, but eventually he's going to be in a game where his cage gets rattled big time. He has a long good future in the NFL for sure, but he is still not ready to take Romo's place. He has been getting days back there to throw and if Romo had been in there, this team is 4-0, easily. Romo can pull out wins nobody else can and Jerry knows that. Romo still gives the Cowboys the best chance to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs. I support Romo returning to the starting role, even if the Cowboys were 6-1 and we lost the first game Romo comes back in. Dak is playing in a game by game system the coaches create for him. When it comes time to have to wing it and pull one out of that little something extra Romo has, he will fail. And that is just something experience gives you.

Romo has also failed because of his poor decision making in playoff games. Like him throwing a long pass to Dez Bryant on 4th and 2 against GB a couple of years ago instead of getting the first down first and then going for the big play. Plus Dez was not open so I don't why he threw the ball to him anyway which confirmed it was a stupid pass by romo. So please don't act like Romo hasn't failed when it counted the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Romo has also failed because of his poor decision making in playoff games. Like him throwing a long pass to Dez Bryant on 4th and 2 against GB a couple of years ago instead of getting the first down first and then going for the big play. Plus Dez was not open so I don't why he threw the ball to him anyway which confirmed it was a stupid pass by romo. So please don't act like Romo hasn't failed when it counted the most.
I've witnessed quite a few times where the Cowboys lost because of Romo, and they won because of Romo. The joke has always been that Romo chokes in the big games. But, I do believe that in the past, if Romo had not been in there, the Cowboys would be cellar dwellers each and every season, much like they were last season. So, it's a toss up. I think right now, if the Cowboys keep winning and looking confident with Dak, you keep him in there.

Joe Gibbs went through this back in the 80's when Schroeder and Williams were battling it out for the starting position. That Super Bowl year in '87, he kept flip flopping back and forth between the two QBs before finally settling on Williams in the playoffs. I think Gibbs just wanted whoever gave them the best opportunity to win. Certainly the two quarterbacks were wanting him to be loyal and stick with either one regardless of injuries, but that's not what Gibbs did.

So, looking at it, Romo has been injured and has missed a significant amount of time in the last few seasons. When it comes down to it, what has Romo given the Cowboys? The biggest thing that I see is that with Romo, the Cowboys have been .500 or better in most seasons he's played, but only three seasons of winning more than 9 games, and only four of those seasons of making the playoffs. Never getting to the NFC championship game, never making it to the Super Bowl. Is Romo really THAT valuable of a quarterback that the team should switch back to him if Dak continues to be successful? I would say no. If the Cowboys are 6-4 by the time Romo is able to come back (I'm assuming he's healthy after 10 games), then I think you still keep Dak in there.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:02 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've witnessed quite a few times where the Cowboys lost because of Romo, and they won because of Romo. The joke has always been that Romo chokes in the big games. But, I do believe that in the past, if Romo had not been in there, the Cowboys would be cellar dwellers each and every season, much like they were last season. So, it's a toss up. I think right now, if the Cowboys keep winning and looking confident with Dak, you keep him in there.

Joe Gibbs went through this back in the 80's when Schroeder and Williams were battling it out for the starting position. That Super Bowl year in '87, he kept flip flopping back and forth between the two QBs before finally settling on Williams in the playoffs. I think Gibbs just wanted whoever gave them the best opportunity to win. Certainly the two quarterbacks were wanting him to be loyal and stick with either one regardless of injuries, but that's not what Gibbs did.

So, looking at it, Romo has been injured and has missed a significant amount of time in the last few seasons. When it comes down to it, what has Romo given the Cowboys? The biggest thing that I see is that with Romo, the Cowboys have been .500 or better in most seasons he's played, but only three seasons of winning more than 9 games, and only four of those seasons of making the playoffs. Never getting to the NFC championship game, never making it to the Super Bowl. Is Romo really THAT valuable of a quarterback that the team should switch back to him if Dak continues to be successful? I would say no. If the Cowboys are 6-4 by the time Romo is able to come back (I'm assuming he's healthy after 10 games), then I think you still keep Dak in there.
Dak is playing behind the best offensive line since the 92/93 Cowboys. Over the past few seasons, Romo has been on his rear before he can even get set in the pocket. Dak has been getting 4-5 seconds before he usually feels any pressure. You know Romo is on the sideline licking his chops. Give Romo that amount of time and he will tear any secondary apart. If the O-line gets banged up, or a defense really goes after him with full force, his game is not going to look so sharp. Trust me on this, he will have his rookie moment. I suspect you may see that this week. Dak has a future in the NFL, but he has not proven himself through the thick and thin. Dak has proven he can play in a "system" designed for him, behind a great offensive line. If we run into a shootout game like against Denver a few years back where we need him to pass for 500 yards and pull the rabbit out of his hat, it ain't happening. Romo still brings that element to the game.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

Skins fans was so glad when mark rypien took over in 1989

Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I have no complaints about Dak, but eventually he's going to be in a game where his cage gets rattled big time. He has a long good future in the NFL for sure, but he is still not ready to take Romo's place. He has been getting days back there to throw and if Romo had been in there, this team is 4-0, easily. Romo can pull out wins nobody else can and Jerry knows that. Romo still gives the Cowboys the best chance to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs. I support Romo returning to the starting role, even if the Cowboys were 6-1 and we lost the first game Romo comes back in. Dak is playing in a game by game system the coaches create for him. When it comes time to have to wing it and pull one out of that little something extra Romo has, he will fail. And that is just something experience gives you.
the big reason the cowboys lost their first game is because a receiver made a mistake of not getting out of bounds late in the game and the clock ran out. instead williams tried to get a few more yards. why? probably because he was told to, or probably because he thought he needed to. regardless it was a mistake on the receivers part, not the quarterback part.

the same thing has happened to romo many times in the past, where games were lost because of what a receiver did, but the blame fell on the quarterback. receivers drop balls, running backs fumble balls, blockers miss assignments, defenses fail, and too many times these are blamed on the quarterback when he cant deliver the game winning touchdown.

prescott has not only impressed me, he has impressed my brother who didnt think prescott was a good pick.

my question is this, could romo have done better than prescott in running the team? my answer to that is maybe. given the same situation would romo have told williams to get out of bounds to save what was left of the clock? could romo have gotten to the same point in the game and still have a time out in his pocket?

the reality is that i dont know, and neither does anyone else. the real question is what does the TEAM think of prescott? and they love him. and prescott gives the offense a dimension that romo doesnt, the ability to run the ball well, given that prescott has three passing touchdown and two rushing touchdowns in four games.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:28 PM

I had the eagles winning today and losing next week but the lions was up for the challenge

Skins is looking good after starting 0-2. That skins/eagles game is going to be wild next week

I am not surprised the Cowboys beat the Bengals because they are not a team with a good QB

Giants trying to hang with the Packers tonight but I can see the packers pulling away soon

Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
The Giants have lost, and again look inept in doing so.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Giants have lost, and again look inept in doing so.
They hung around for most of the game but could not score any TD's

Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
And all of the talking heads in preseason had the Giants winning, or as the best team in the division. I'm loving this--I hate the Giants more than I hate the Cowboys...

I didn't put a prediction on Washington this week, because I wasn't sure they could pull it out. The defense pleasantly surprised me. Granted, we didn't play an elite offense, but that was our most consistent defensive effort of the year, and there's cause to believe we can steadily improve. We got a consistent pass rush against a weak offensive line, but we haven't been able to do that. I'm loving what I'm seeing from Will Compton! Our secondary certainly played it's best game to this point. Now on to the next test...

Listen, anybody saying they know who will win this division is lying, but the Skins are going to be in the mix. The Giants under Coughlin were always apt to late-season surges, so there's that. The Cowboys will have their moment--they are playing one of the softest schedules in the league. The Eagles to me may be the most complete team in the division. However, the Redskins will be up to the challenge. This team is gaining confidence week-to-week, and while Cousins still made his usual 3-4 nutty plays, he's spreading the ball around (8 different receivers). Not picking a winner, but the Skins will come to play!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
I said it before, you can't crown a team division champs in the NFC East after four games. Like always, it will come down to the last couple of games of the season. The Cowboys looked unstoppable, yesterday, and if they beat Green Bay IN Green Bay, that's going to raise some eyebrows. It's quite possible you see the Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys all sitting at or around 6-2 by the time they have all played eight games. All three teams are looking strong right now.

The Giants, on the other hand, look like one of those teams that will leave you at the alter. They tend to play teams pretty strong and close, but when it comes down to crunch time, they implode. When the 'skins played the Giants, I would say you put that blame on Eli Manning, but I'm not sure if he's to blame for their woes or not. I think Eli is still a heck of a quarterback.

This is exactly how I want the NFC East to be. Anyone who's calling this division the NFC "LEAST" is completely uninformed. This might be the most competitive division in the league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football