U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,919 times

Advertisements

This thread will be to discuss any game and clock management mistakes from coaches or players for the 2016 nfl season. there will be a ton of them, add them here.

Im watching the lions colts game and with 12 seconds left, the lions player caught the ball near the sidelines and it really looked like he tried to stay in bounds on purpose, odd play, cost the lions their last time out which caused them to 1) not be able to run another play that that would have been unpredictable, colts knew they had to pass 2) didnt allow them to run the clock to 1 second and call time out and let their FG be the last play of the game. just silly, you see this from paid professionals all the time, it boggles the mind.

chargers had a lead of 14 points with about 9 or 10 mins left, they had 3rd and 6 deep in chiefs territory, instead of playing it safe and running the ball and take another 45 to 100 off the clock, they passed and then kicked a successful fg to take a 3 score lead. if you run there, you take 45 to a minute off the clock, turns out that would have been pretty important. at that point in the game, you know you have a chippie fg on the foot which gives you a 3 score lead, at that point, you don't really need any more points, you dont want to risk that 45 seconds in order to maybe have 4 more points, which was still only 3 scores, its better to have the 3 score lead and get rid of another 45.

cowboys player on final play of game stays in bounds, doesnt run out of bounds letting his kicker try a very long fg, not sure if the fg would have been 60 or 70, but he still would have had one prayer, instead, the guy didnt' know the clock situation and cut back to the middle of the field effectively ending the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM

6,540 posts, read 4,490,735 times
I'm more baffaled at why Jim Caldwell didn't just take the field goal after that said out of bounds play?? Look at how many things can go wrong: Bad snap, mishandle the football, ball slips out on the throw, hell even a grounding call! And to save what, 3, 4 seconds?? When the field goal went through the uprights there would've been 8 seconds left (based on the time of the actual kick, but with no tenths of a second it could've been 9, but let's assume 8). Kick the damn ball through the end zone, which they should've done anyways (get defensive guys set up instead of special teams players running around to defend the lateral). If you do that, the Colts have 1 time out and have to go at least 45 yards (Lions 35) to get Veniterri in his range to attempt a kick. If the Colts go for the field goal there, by the time Luck drops back, the receiver's get downfield and the throw gets to the receivers and they fall down, that's about 7 or 8 seconds there anyways. If the Colts don't go for the field and instead save their timeout and go for a 30 yard play over the middle to set up an easier throw into the end zone than you put the DB's inside the 10 yard line and Knock. The. Ball. Down! I wonder if Caldwell got scared because he lost on the Hail Mary last year?? But in either case, there was almost no way for the Lions to lose if they take the field goal at the first opportunity.

I'm coaching in high school, and granted high school is worlds different then college & the pro's, but I look at all of these stupid decisions by coaches and just think "WTF are they doing." . I analyze these things more closely. I DVR'd Redzone to watch it later in the week, so I haven't seen many games left today, or any of these other plays, I just happened to turn it on right after dinner for the final 90 seconds of the Lions game.

Edit: In regards to the Stafford roll out: If you want him to throw it into the endzone I don't have a problem with that. Sure the kicker (Prater) just missed a 33 yard (?) extra point, so I'd have doubts on a 46 yarder, so if you want to go for the touchdown, that's perfectly fine by me. The play itself was incredibly stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football