U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM

11,918 posts, read 8,312,334 times

Advertisements

As we all know the Patriots QB Tom Brady has been forced to sit out the first 4 games for the suspicion of his involvement in deflated footballs. A rather harsh sentence in my opinion but that opened up a huge chance for the backup QB.

Jimmy Garoppolo looked good last night against the Cardinals and the team squeaked one out in a nail biter for the win.

The big question is if Jimmy G goes on to improve and win games what is going to happen to Brady?
When game 5 starts there is no doubt that Brady will be the starter but what happens if he comes back and doesn't play as well as JimmyG ?

This could be the beginning of the end for Brady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM

3,027 posts, read 3,167,561 times
[quote=Cape Cod Todd;45453500]As we all know the Patriots QB Tom Brady has been forced to sit out the first 4 games for the suspicion of his involvement in deflated footballs. A rather harsh sentence in my opinion but that opened up a huge chance for the backup QB.

Jimmy Garoppolo looked good last night against the Cardinals and the team squeaked one out in a nail biter for the win.

The big question is if Jimmy G goes on to improve and win games what is going to happen to Brady?
When game 5 starts there is no doubt that Brady will be the starter but what happens if he comes back and doesn't play as well as JimmyG ?

This could be the beginning of the end for Brady.[/QUOTE

Ummmmm...........no.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 AM

4,310 posts, read 1,870,681 times
I guess I wouldn't put anything past Belicheck.

But let's see how Jimmy G does in the next three before we anoint him. The competition is not too shabby, all three teams have good to average at worse defenses.

I mean if Jimmy G shows well and another team, or several teams come calling offering up two future first round picks for Brady? Maybe you listen.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,306,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As we all know the Patriots QB Tom Brady has been forced to sit out the first 4 games for the suspicion of his involvement in deflated footballs. A rather harsh sentence in my opinion but that opened up a huge chance for the backup QB.

Tom Brady is 39. The end is near for him regardless of Jimmy Garoppolo.

I mean, this isn't rocket science. Brady starts week 5. If he then plays poorly for an extended period of time, Garoppolo may well get some starts. If Brady doesn't play poorly -- even if he just plays solidly -- Belichick isn't going to make a switch mid-season no matter how great Garoppolo plays the next three games, because the chances of the experienced Brady, based on 15 prior seasons as the starter, taking them deep into the playoffs is better than the chances of Garoppolo, based on all of 4 games, doing the same. And the suspension may well mean that Brady is unusually fresh as this season progresses.

Back to the situation beyond this season, there has really only been one great season turned in by a quarterback aged 40 or beyond, and that was Favre's first season in Minnesota in 2009 (he turned 40 during the regular season) -- 33 TDs to 7 INTs, QB rating of 107. Otherwise, there's a handful of decent seasons, and a bunch of poor ones. Tom Brady's professional future is a very short one. That's just the march of time.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 AM

21,439 posts, read 21,994,042 times
I think I saw Gisele out with Jimmy G at a disco making kissy face

Old 09-12-2016, 09:27 AM

4,310 posts, read 1,870,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I mean, this isn't rocket science. Brady starts week 5. If he then plays poorly for an extended period of time, Garoppolo may well get some starts. If Brady doesn't play poorly -- even if he just plays solidly -- Belichick isn't going to make a switch mid-season no matter how great Garoppolo plays the next three games, because the chances of the experienced Brady, based on 15 prior seasons as the starter, taking them deep into the playoffs is better than the chances of Garoppolo, based on all of 4 games, doing the same. And the suspension may well mean that Brady is unusually fresh as this season progresses.
It's not necessarily about what does Brady have left for this season or even next? I fully expect Brady to be Brady this year and maybe even next. But if Belicheck can get significant value for a trade and know that he still has a championship caliber QB, he very well could pull that trigger. He has a strong track record of pulling off such trades. The question is, would he do it with the greatest Patirot of all time? And how much fan backlash could their be? I think the suspension makes it harder for him to do. If he was out with a minor injury for a few games I think it would be easier to justify.

I've wondered, who has more pull in personnel decisions when it comes to fan acceptance, John Elway or Bill Belicheck?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,257,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Not a thing anytime soon. Remember, Matt Cassel went 11-5 as a starter for the Patriots a few years ago. Let that sink in.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM

6,557 posts, read 4,517,087 times
No that's definitely not happening. However.....if Jimmy G can keep this up for the next 3 games he'll be raking in some money from somebody next year.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:21 AM

6,505 posts, read 3,484,917 times
Jimmy will be traded before Brady is gone. There is nothing to lead me believe Brady doesn't have a couple of years left in him, and Jimmy won't sit around waiting when he could cash in.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM

21,439 posts, read 21,994,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Jimmy will be traded before Brady is gone. There is nothing to lead me believe Brady doesn't have a couple of years left in him, and Jimmy won't sit around waiting when he could cash in.
Agreed, I think Garoppolo may very well be the next Matt Cassel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football