U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:23 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,991,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
How about cord cutters too?

We cut the cord a couple seasons ago. Still go to the bar every Sunday to catch the Bills but no more Monday night ESPN games unless it's the Bills.
Every month I go in and pay my cable bill in person and for the last several months, maybe a year, there are one, maybe two people standing in line to turn in their cable boxes. I got a notification from Optimum last week that the bill is going up another $15. I'll see what the line looks like tomorrow morning, which is the day it is due.

I'm also with the posters on this thread regarding commercials. It got out of hand a couple years ago and the games this year it's now REALLY gotten stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:51 PM

28,525 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Millenials not as interested as we were as kids.

Football getting more into other things outside of just football.

Lifestyles and wrongdoings of the players are annoying.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:32 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times
Nice, CBS cuts to a commercial right in the middle of action tonight. Missed San Diego getting a first down.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 AM

21,356 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Nice, CBS cuts to a commercial right in the middle of action tonight. Missed San Diego getting a first down.
Damit!

Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Well, let's look at the big picture here. Right now, everyone tunes into the Presidential debates to see the circus show that's going on. I think there has been more people interested in the Presidential race than there ever has been, and if those debates are opposite of Sunday night, Monday night, or Thursday night football, then that most certainly explains the decrease in ratings.

Cord cutting could be another reason. Let's face it, it seems like the NFL has been trying its best to slowly move football to cable channels, meanwhile, folks are cutting the cord from cable and Satellite TV because of the ridiculous cost of it. A lot of those folks are finding illegal streams online if they can't get the game on rabbit ears. We cut the cord from satellite two years ago. I can get most Redskins games that come on Sunday afternoon. I can get some streams of games through Verizon on my cell phone, but the games I want to watch aren't always offered. And at worse, there's a sports pub about ten minutes up the road if I can't watch the game any other way. And yes, if I have to find a stream online, I will.

People talk about how popularity of some sports is dying, while the NFL has continued to increase the past several years. The simple reason is that the NFL provides most games on local channels that you can get with an OTA antenna or basic cable. Before last season, prime time games were mostly on NBC on Sunday night, and ESPN on Monday night. And yes, a handful of Thursday night games came on the NFL Network, but for the most part, all football, with the exception of Monday night football, was on major broadcast stations that can be tuned in without a cable or satellite subscription. Now, the NFL is doing two things that I think could potential continue to hurt ratings:

First thing is that they are starting to become a little too, overly saturated. Thursday night football should never be unless it's Thanksgiving. That's my opinion. I hate the fact that the NFL comes on Thursday nights. It's a bad night for football. You have a lot of local high schools who play their JV football games on Thursday nights, you have college football that comes on Thursday nights, and I think there's no room for pro football that night. I don't even watch the game unless it's an NFC East game and especially unless the Redskins are playing. Now, it's good in a sense that half of those games are simulcast on CBS, but only half. If you don't have the NFL Network, your SOL on the other Thursday night games. So, you have NFL on Sunday afternoons, Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night. You gotta have some time to miss it. You also gotta give teams time to heal and recover from the previous Sunday afternoon game.

The second thing is that the NFL is starting to show more games on cable channels. Last year, the BIG Eagles-Redskins game that determined who won that division was played on the NFL Network on Saturday night. The NFL Network is only offered on special tiers for cable and satellite. Which means, there's a good chance more will not have this channel than those who do. This game should have been a Sunday afternoon game on FOX, or Sunday night game on NBC. I suppose I can understand if it was on ESPN, because most are going to have access to that if they have a little more than basic cable, but I think it was ridiculous that this huge game with playoff contentions was played on a channel that half the people get.

I can see Roger Goodell continuing to slowly move the NFL off of broadcast channels and more onto cable channels like the NBA and MLB does. I think this is a mistake. It's a fact that those sports pale in comparison to popularity of the NFL. I think once you start moving the NFL off of channels that everyone can get, then you're going to see ratings decrease. It all comes down to maximizing dollars for them though. They want people to pay more money to see the game. They don't care about ratings so as long as the money is coming in. Maybe you have less people who watch your sport, but the ones who are willing the shell out the $$$ will make up for ratings. That's their game plan I believe.

Having said all of this, I DO think the ratings decrease has more to do with the Presidential race than anything else. I expect the ratings to go back to normal once the elections are over, but I believe you'll continue to see pro football get moved to cable and satellite. Hopefully with the invention of semi ala cart cable like Playstation Vue and Sling TV, maybe we can counter that move.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 AM

21,356 posts, read 21,922,845 times
I believe the NFL is aware of the competition from Hilary and Donald and may try to arrange and televise a football game between the two sides before November 8th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or