Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times

Advertisements

So reports have been coming out that ratings have been down this season. What do you think the reasons are?

First off, they can't expect ratings to increase every year. The NFL already sees monster ratings and nothing can last forever.

Too many commercials. Man, it seems like the networks find anyway they can to squeeze commercials in.
Challenges that take too long. They need to find a way to speed up the challenges.
Time. Games are routinely taking over 3 hours to play and that's a problem. A 60 minute game should not take over 3 hours to play.

A prime example was this past Thursday night game. You had a long commercial break and then Bill O'Brien decided to throw the challenge flag once they came back from the break which lead to another commercial break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Red zone is a big factor, no need to commit to one game to view. Plus the Bears who have been on prime time for consecutive weeks are not a good draw right now. Same for Rams and 49ers who inexplicably got the opening prime time game. Also with Manning retiring and Brady suspended, the NFL lost another big draw of star power.

I don't buy for a second the protesting is a major factor in lower ratings.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,797,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Red zone is a big factor, no need to commit to one game to view. Plus the Bears who have been on prime time for consecutive weeks are not a good draw right now. Same for Rams and 49ers who inexplicably got the opening prime time game. Also with Manning retiring and Brady suspended, the NFL lost another big draw of star power.

I don't buy for a second the protesting is a major factor in lower ratings.
Good point on Redzone. I've always been annoyed that CBS and FOX cannot show games at 1 and 4 and every can watch them. It's usually both show 1 o'clock games and then you get to watch only 1 4 o'clock game.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
A combination of Red Zone, people watching in bars and match ups. Probably nothing substantial to make Don Goodell anxious, though.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,612,659 times
How about cord cutters too?

We cut the cord a couple seasons ago. Still go to the bar every Sunday to catch the Bills but no more Monday night ESPN games unless it's the Bills.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:17 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
Mediocrity. There are a few really good teams, a few really bad ones and several that so far are inconsistent, mediocre, look good one week then awful the next. Does mediocrity ever sell ?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
NFL and College Football burnout?

^ Regarding ratings, some of you may have seen this thread down below in the generic Sports area. I'm surprised it wasn't posted up here in either College or Pro Football.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
I blame Pokémon GO...Roger should put Pokémons on the field of play during the games.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:25 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,612,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Mediocrity. There are a few really good teams, a few really bad ones and several that so far are inconsistent, mediocre, look good one week then awful the next. Does mediocrity ever sell ?
The above is supposed to be sold under another name by the league. Parity. And it is supposed to make us want to watch more.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,785,658 times
It is nearing the point where I cannot watch any longer due to commercial interruptions. A poster mentioned instant replay reviews. This only salves the owner's appetites to put in even more commercials. The salary cap keeps getting boosted every single year. As a consumer, you are paying for that increase. It is to the point where some will walk away, and for myself, I am near that point. I will say part of the reason, for myself, is that football is going the way of pop culture. The game was much better 30 years ago, when players were allowed to do a lot more on the field physically, players made less money, and there were far fewer commercials. The product is simply diluted and it is not getting any better. If people start turning off the sets en masse, the owners will have to adjust their product accordingly.

And, I will not pay for a cable or satellite subscription, so there goes my Monday night game. I have an antenna TV and stream movies through Netflix. If the NFL puts more games on cable, I will simply watch even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football